Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 21 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photojournalism Q: 50 1.4 or save for 85 1.8 ?

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
12,909 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Post has been edited 16 days ago by Immaculens.
Jan 21, 2018 11:27 |  #1

(EDIT: The money man pulled out of the venture so its done, thanks.)

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,210 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 21, 2018 11:39 |  #2

Immaculens wrote in post #18545800 (external link)
Hello folks,

just got a job with a new local newspaper... with my 7D2 - would the EF 50 1.4 be a suitable choice for indoor events for head shots or should I get the 85 1.8?

I have the Sigma 30 1.4 Art for wider shots, but not sure if the 50 would be enough of a difference?

thank-you

I am a bit confused. Title says PJ. Question says head shots. For head shots on aps-c, the 85 1.8 is a really good choice. For PJ, wouldn't you want a much wider, fast zoom? A stabilized 24-70 f/2.8 comes to mind.

Tom

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Dan Marchant.
Jan 22, 2018 09:17 |  #3

If it is actually photojournalism and not headshots I would avoid primes. Given all the restrictions and limitations on movement at news events etc you would need a wide zoom 24-70 or 24-105 and a flash on your main body.

Your second body would need a longer lens for when you can't get close enough.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Post has been edited 29 days ago by bpalermini.
Jan 22, 2018 10:24 |  #4

A typical PJ setup would be three zooms, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. That kit lets you do just about anything well except field sports. Also, if you can, you would want f2.8 versions of each. That's what I would work towards if I were you. You may well end up taking quite a few headshots but a 70-200 works great for that. You won't be going for super shallow depth of field shots for a newspaper.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 24, 2018 13:48 |  #5

How times have changed... In 2017 I was reading memoirs of ex-student for PJ in Arizona university in seventies and attending GW Art in photography classes, it helped him with PJ assignments. It took years to study PJ back then with interim daily assignments.
Now it just as simple as asking - which tele lens do I need? :-|

Well, it is what it is now...
I never seen local PJ with primes these days. In/outdoors doesn't matter. It is two DSLRs with two zooms. This is how typical PJ looks these days.

But you seems to be about to be different one. So, HCB was using 50 as main (your 30), 35 as wide and 90 for special acquisition primes among two film Leica cameras.
And he is one of the first PJ by all means, dare I say.

Good luck and congrats on new job!

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Pippan
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Straya
Jan 24, 2018 14:49 |  #6

Hello folks,

just got a job with a new local newspaper... with my 7D2 - would the EF 50 1.4 be a suitable choice for indoor events for head shots or should I get the 85 1.8?

I have the Sigma 30 1.4 Art for wider shots, but not sure if the 50 would be enough of a difference?

thank-you

Get the EF-S 18-135 USM. Wide focal length range, snaps to focus, good image quality and you won't need to change lenses or carry a second body. It's only a newspaper, IQ is less important than getting the shot.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
12,909 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Jan 27, 2018 07:33 |  #7

Thanks for the feedback folks - I have a 15-85 but the 18-135 IS USM seems a better idea since I have a crop body. My 70D could wear another lens.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,210 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 27, 2018 09:01 |  #8

I used to shoot the 15-85 on a 60D. I'm now shooting the 18-135 USM on an 80D. There is a world of difference.

Tom

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 27, 2018 09:26 |  #9

Hello folks,

thank-you

This is for small print/viewing size, so you can get away with maxed out ISO, so you can use slower glass and focus on versatility. I'd go for a fast zoom if budget permits. Otherwise, a slower but more verstaile zoom, like the 18-135 or something. You will likely be topping out ISO at large events indoors, where light is poor, but with image stabilization and ISO 12,800 you should be able to do it pretty nicely, you don't really need sports-action-stopping-power with shutter speeds of 1/1000s or faster. You can probably get away with very slow shutter speeds for just head shots, just with stabilization & pushing ISO. Again, the grain from ISO won't be an issue for small web views and small paper prints. Having the flexibility and versatility to get the shot be it close or distant, with a zoom will be more important than simply having fast focal-ratio on a prime.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
12,909 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Jan 27, 2018 09:32 |  #10

Hmm, the 17-55 f/2.8 just came to mind.... decisions decisions...

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 27, 2018 09:59 |  #11

Immaculens wrote in post #18550100 (external link)
Hmm, the 17-55 f/2.8 just came to mind.... decisions decisions...

If you're doing more headshots, than groups, do you really need the wider end of things?

Canon EF 24-70 F4L IS comes to mind, or a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC. Or even a Canon 24-105 F4L IS for cheap.

And if you're on the long end usually, then the 135mm APS-C zooms really are going to offer a lot.

In a crowd of people, it's a lot easier to use a telephoto to get your headshot, than to move forward through the crowd physically.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 04, 2018 11:30 |  #12

For your new job choice of lens is much less important than quickly producing a story. Even when it's just a cutline, the words matter. Use special care in getting names and getting them RIGHT.

You will also want to become intimately familiar with prepress processes and do your best to submit stuff that's ready to plop on the page without PP intervention. When the production folk have to manipulate your pixels your professional stock goes down and you lose the ability to check the quality of your work as if rolls off the press.

When you are assigned to business or social events rather than breaking news your experience with weddings should be valuable. You know how to move people around to get a decent background and pose them to look their best. Assuming everyone is or will be a major advertiser works well. When your publisher is at a chamber breakfast and hears how happy the owner of a major car dealership was with your pix of her and her (nasty little) dog, you become a great photographer. <G>

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
12,909 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Feb 04, 2018 11:45 |  #13

the newspaper start-up did not work out, the money man pulled out.

thanks all

sponsored links

532 views & 11 likes for this thread
Photojournalism Q: 50 1.4 or save for 85 1.8 ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.