Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 21 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 21:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD Cards on EOS 5D Mark III

J ­ R ­ Mohan
227 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 21, 2018 21:24 |  #1

The SD card slot of EOS 5D Mark III doesn't support high speed SD cards(UHS-1). It is said that the maximum speed is 133x which is awfully slow in burst mode. Has this been corrected in any firmware ?
Thanks
Jai.

sponsored links
cristphoto
869 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by cristphoto. (4 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2018 23:06 |  #2

I have the 5D3 and 5D4 bodies both with the latest firmware. Here is data from a test I just completed:

Both cameras set to RAW, manual exposure, 1/5000, lens wide open, lens set to MF, lens cap on

5D3 w/Lexar Professional 133x card 15 shots until buffer fills, 26 seconds for buffer light to go out
5D3 w/Lexar Professional 633x UHS1 card 15 shots, 16 seconds

5D4 w/Lexar Professional 133x card 20 shots, 38 seconds
5D4 w/Lexar Professional 633x UHS1 card 24 shots, 13 seconds

I performed all the above tests twice and numbers were virtually identical.

In actual use when shooting a couple series of RAW bursts my 5D3 can go into slow shooting mode from time to time. I've never had this happen when using the 5D4. It just keeps on shooting. That's not to say if I (obviously) shot a long enough burst it wouldn't stop. That's just not real world shooting for my uses. Hope this helps.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

110yd
765 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 22, 2018 01:28 |  #3

J R Mohan wrote in post #18546194 (external link)
The SD card slot of EOS 5D Mark III doesn't support high speed SD cards(UHS-1). It is said that the maximum speed is 133x which is awfully slow in burst mode. Has this been corrected in any firmware ?
Thanks
Jai.

When Canon released the Eos 5D MK III they used an outdated hardware interface for the SD card. There is no firmware fix in this instance. The CF interface is what has the speed in this case.

Regards,

110yd

J ­ R ­ Mohan
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 22, 2018 06:26 as a reply to  @ 110yd's post |  #4

Thanks for the reply. However it seems strange when the usage of CF cards is on the decline and SD cards getting more popular. Also SD cards are more affordable in comparison to CF cards.
Jai.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2018 18:43 |  #5

As mentioned above, FW can't fix the hardware interface limitation. To support UHS-I, the interface clock needs to operate at 208MHz, giving the UHS-I interface speed of 104MB/s. In 5DIII, the interface is operating at 50MHz, giving a interface limit of 25MB/s. Having that said, the burst depth for still is more buffer size depended than card speed dependent. Sure with a faster card, buffer clearing is faster and will give you a few more frame of RAW, but I can't imagine the difference is too huge. For video, 5DIII will only do 1080P, so all you need is speed class 10. 25MB/s interface will do it just fine. It still sucks why Canon decided to cripple the SD interface.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2018 18:43 as a reply to  @ J R Mohan's post |  #6

5DIII isn't exactly new too.

J ­ R ­ Mohan
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 24, 2018 01:41 as a reply to  @ eelnoraa's post |  #7

Thanks for the information. 5D markiii SD slot speed is a big disappointment.
Jai.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 29, 2018 14:24 |  #8

eelnoraa wrote in post #18547630 (external link)
5DIII isn't exactly new too.

I agree its not new. But the way canon always gimps its cameras on release is not new either.
The 5div could have had xqd and a UHS-II. Instead is has cf card and UHS-1.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2018 16:24 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #9

I do agree Canon cripple things intentionally is a bad habit. But I can understand why 5D4 doesn't have XQD or UHS-II.

First XQD, Canon was never behind the development of XQD. Canon is one of the driver for CFast format. Now, technically, XQD and CFast is really exactly the same with different packaging. Both are SATA protocol interface. So the conclusion is really about format war. In this case, a losing format war from the past. As far as I know, there is a new format coming out, supposed to be the agreement between the XQD and CFast crowd. Let's wait for it.

2nd reason is cost. Given what 5D4 needs, there is nothing XQD/CFast USH-II can do but CF or USH-I can't do. What is the reason to go for a much more expansive format? As an consumer, I actually prefer an existing interface as long as it does everything the body is capable of. Now I think having UHS-II interface still make sense because it is backward compatible with USH-I. XQD/CFast, I just don't see why I want to ditch all my CF for these "will be short live" and expansive format.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,222 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 29, 2018 20:35 as a reply to  @ eelnoraa's post |  #10

CFast and XQD were introduced mainly for higher frame rate video. The Arri Alexa and Amira, Blackmagic URSA, Canon XC10, Hasselblad H6D-100C, and Atmos Ninja and Shoguns are cameras/video devices that use CFast. So there are enough brands in the cinema market that support the format for it to not be short lived. Now, the CompactFlash Association has conceived a new standard called CFexpress (that has a XQD form-factor). As newer camera models come out, they may start incorporating it if its two PCIe lanes are required. Film studios are not going to ditch CFast on their current Arri, Blackmagic, or Canon cameras.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 30, 2018 15:53 |  #11

davesrose wrote in post #18552105 (external link)
CFast and XQD were introduced mainly for higher frame rate video. The Arri Alexa and Amira, Blackmagic URSA, Canon XC10, Hasselblad H6D-100C, and Atmos Ninja and Shoguns are cameras/video devices that use CFast. So there are enough brands in the cinema market that support the format for it to not be short lived. Now, the CompactFlash Association has conceived a new standard called CFexpress (that has a XQD form-factor). As newer camera models come out, they may start incorporating it if its two PCIe lanes are required. Film studios are not going to ditch CFast on their current Arri, Blackmagic, or Canon cameras.

CFExpress is exactly what I was referring to. It is also supposed to be backward compatible with the current XQD slot. But the adaptation on the consumer segment will be very slow, just like CFast and XQD.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,822 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 28, 2018 08:52 |  #12

eelnoraa wrote in post #18547628 (external link)
It still sucks why Canon decided to cripple the SD interface.

It's the fault of Mrs. Tanaka. In case you haven't heard about this lady, she cleans the rest rooms at the Canon Headquaters but, she moonlights as the head of the Canon R&D and marketing departments.:-D

In fact, Canon was going to name the 6D Mark II, "6D Tanaka" in honor of the things that camera is lacking. They lost out but, could have named the M50. The "M Tanaka".vmad

Wait for more wonderful retro products that Canon and Mrs. Tanaka plan to foster on the camera buying public :p

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

890 views & 2 likes for this thread
SD Cards on EOS 5D Mark III
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.