Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 23 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 15:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Printer profiling

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jan 23, 2018 15:33 |  #1

Has anyone here ever used GreatPrinterProfiles to get printer profiles? I printed the targets and sent them the targets and a payment check a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard back from them. I left a message on their site and haven't heard from them.

https://www.greatprint​erprofiles.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
KT29
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.Idaho
Jan 23, 2018 16:47 |  #2

There website says they are closed till Feb. 2. That could be why you don't get any response.

Terry

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jan 23, 2018 18:13 |  #3

KT29 wrote in post #18547531 (external link)
There website says they are closed till Feb. 2. That could be why you don't get any response.

Thank you. I didn't notice that.

ashleykaryl
204 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 27, 2018 04:57 |  #4

I've never used them myself, though I have ordered custom profiles from other sources with varying degrees of success. If you only need to profile one or two paper types and aim to keep the same printer for several years, I think it makes sense to use a service like this, while accepting it may take a week or so until your profile arrives.

If you plan on using more paper types or different printers, it would probably save you time and money buying a spectrophotometer and making your own profiles at home. You would have the up front cost of the calibrator, but it will also work for your displays. Apart from that your only expense is a sheet or two of paper when you need to create a profile.

X-Rite Coloratti Pro, Phase One Ambassador
Author of Colour Management Pro
https://colourmanageme​ntpro.com (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jan 29, 2018 06:18 |  #5

ashleykaryl wrote in post #18549976 (external link)
I've never used them myself, though I have ordered custom profiles from other sources with varying degrees of success. If you only need to profile one or two paper types and aim to keep the same printer for several years, I think it makes sense to use a service like this, while accepting it may take a week or so until your profile arrives.

If you plan on using more paper types or different printers, it would probably save you time and money buying a spectrophotometer and making your own profiles at home. You would have the up front cost of the calibrator, but it will also work for your displays. Apart from that your only expense is a sheet or two of paper when you need to create a profile.

I've thought of doing my own. I have the Spectraview monitor calibrator that came with my NEC PA301SV monitor, but as far as I know it cannot scan prints and create printer profiles.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,456 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 23 days ago by kirkt.
Jan 30, 2018 08:43 |  #6

Your device is commonly known as a "colorimeter" - it can measure the tristimulus property of light that is emitted onto its sensor, through a red, green and blue filter. This works for things that emit light, like displays and projectors, as well as the measurement of ambient light in an office or editing environment, for example.

The device that can also characterize reflective surfaces (like printed color on paper) is commonly known as a "spectrophotometer" - it has its own well-characterized light source that it emits onto the reflective surface to be characterized, and measures the light reflected off of that surface. These devices can also typically measure emitted light from displays, etc., making them an all-around tool for developing a customized and controlled color-managed environment.

https://www.xrite.com ...ces/what-is-a-colorimeter (external link)

https://www.xrite.com ...at-is-a-spectrophotometer (external link)

kirk

Kirk
---

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Feb 01, 2018 16:10 as a reply to kirkt's post |  #7

Thank you!

sponsored links

895 views & 3 likes for this thread
Printer profiling
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.