Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 100 or sigma 150?

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,300 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2018 11:04 |  #1

I already have a 50mm sigma macro and I like it but not when I try and shoot at 1:1 ratio. It's not fun getting close to bumping into my subjects. :oops:
I'd like to really get into it more and have the variations of using for portraits as well. I saw the canon 180 and sigma 180. Note: I'm buying used to help me save money...

I'm thinking 100mm is good overall but, would it be better, if I wanted to dive more into it, to get the 150 or one of the 180s?

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
Dalantech
Goldmember
4,438 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Dalantech.

Jan 25, 2018 02:13 |  #2

disneydork06 wrote in post #18548018 (external link)
...I'm thinking 100mm is good overall but, would it be better, if I wanted to dive more into it, to get the 150 or one of the 180s?

If you're using natural light as the primary light source then get a long focal length lens -the longer the better.

If you're using a flash as the primary light source then get a short focal length lens. You'll want to get the flash as close to the subject as possible to get good diffusion and to keep the flash duration as short as possible (to freeze motion and get sharper images). You already have the Sigma 50mm. Does the lens extend when you turn the focus ring?

A 100mm macro lens is a poor choice. It's 6" working distance is only 2" more than Canon's EF-S 60mm so not much of a gain when using natural light, and the working distance will work against you when using a flash.

If you want to shoot macro then buy a macro lens. If you want to shoot portraits then buy a portrait lens. Don't buy something that might not work really well for either discipline.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

disneydork06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,300 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 25, 2018 15:07 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #3

Well I can't use any ef-s lenses. I'm hoping it would work well with macro and yet side benefit as a portrait type lens as well. With my 50 sigma, I an mere milimeters from a subject when focused in at the closest focal point. It does extend when focusing in.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 25, 2018 18:18 |  #4

Generally speaking, the distance between subject and focal plane is 4*FL to achieve 1:1. So 200mm distance with 50mm FL vs. 720mm for 180mm FL

In AF lenses, the above generalization breaks down simply because the optics CHANGE FL when shooting at macro magnifications in order to reduce the distance that optics have to be moved to focus at macro distances. For example, so-called '100mm macro' lens at 1:1 magnification truly is a 77.5mm FL!

The Canon 180mm macro focuses to 430mm (rather than to 720mm) yet achieves 1:1 at that distance, compared to the 100mm macro achieving 1:1 at the 310mm (rather than 400mm).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,879 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 25, 2018 22:34 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #18548935 (external link)
In AF lenses, the above generalization breaks down simply because the optics CHANGE FL when shooting at macro magnifications in order to reduce the distance that optics have to be moved to focus at macro distances. For example, so-called '100mm macro' lens at 1:1 magnification truly is a 77.5mm FL!

Does the focal length itself actually change?

Or is it just the field of view that changes?

Although many people think that these two things are synonymous, they are not.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,438 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Dalantech.

Jan 26, 2018 01:14 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18549080 (external link)
Does the focal length itself actually change?

Or is it just the field of view that changes?

Although many people think that these two things are synonymous, they are not.

I'm going to say that the actual focal length changes, because it only takes 37mm of extension tubes to get the EF-S 60mm to 2x.

Edit: Also want to add that the focal length drop only seems to work with macro lenses that do not change shape when you turn the focus ring. If the focusing is internal then the focal length will drop. I've often referred to the EF-S 60mm as the "poor man's MPE-65mm" due to it's ability to hit 3x with a full set of tubes. Granted not as good as the MP-E's 5x but if I'm being honest I don't do a lot of shooting above 3x. You can even use the EF-S 60mm on a non APS-C camera as long as you use at least a 12mm extension tube. The tube keeps the mirror from hitting the back of the lens.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links

1,668 views & 1 like for this thread
canon 100 or sigma 150?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.