Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

brainstorming: Rolling tripod for Matterport 3D real-estate camera

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by nathancarter. (2 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2018 13:13 |  #1

Cliffs: Need a solution for my wife to minimize repeatedly picking up and moving tripod+camera

My wife does real estate photos, drone, and Matterport 3D scans. The Matterport is a briefcase-like black box with several cameras integrated; it builds an interactive house tour by making many scans of the house interior (the results are similar to Google street view). To make a scan, you place the Matterport on a tripod, "hide" from it in another room, and activate it remotely via iPad app. The box is motorized and will spin in place on top of the tripod to complete the scan; this takes 30-45 seconds. When the scan is done, the operator moves the tripod+camera 3-8 feet and repeats the process. The distance between scans varies based on the size and complexity of the room and its contents.

Due to a couple of shoulder/neck injuries, she's not in the best of physical shape, and even though the Matterport is only 7 lbs (plus tripod weight), at the end of a house scan she's physically exhausted from repeatedly picking it up and moving it. So, we're trying to come up with a camera support solution that's lightweight enough for her to maneuver around, probably rolls so she doesn't have to pick it up, and is sturdy enough that it doesn't shift when the Matterport rotates during its scan.

We're currently using a Manfrotto 055MF3 carbon-fiber tripod.

I'm thinking non-swivel casters on two of the tripod legs (maybe a side-plate style that can be bolted to the tripod leg?), and a widened rubber foot on the third leg - this can be tilted up to roll on two casters but when the third leg is down it'll be sturdy enough to resist the inertia of the rotating Matterport.

Any other thoughts or ideas? I do have a little bit of crafting/hacking/fabri​cation skill.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 25, 2018 15:31 |  #2

I would suggest three rotating casters (all three able to change direction) each having a brake lever to lock it's ability to roll or rotate.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2018 16:33 |  #3

One can get a tripod dolly, so that further alleviates the weight of any single item...it gets carried in separately. And when the tripod is set up it is then placed on the dolly.

One should not forget, however, that bringing in a tripod with spread legs is NOT always the easy to do!

So the idea of two legs wheeled, with the third simply footed, is a way around the issue.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nathancarter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by nathancarter. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 10:17 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #18548826 (external link)
I would suggest three rotating casters (all three able to change direction) each having a brake lever to lock it's ability to roll or rotate.

Thanks, I had thought about that. I don't know if locking/unlocking all three casters at every scan point will be desirable. (read: she'll forget, or just get lazy and not do it)

Wilt wrote in post #18548862 (external link)
One can get a tripod dolly, so that further alleviates the weight of any single item...it gets carried in separately. And when the tripod is set up it is then placed on the dolly.

One should not forget, however, that bringing in a tripod with spread legs is NOT always the easy to do!

So the idea of two legs wheeled, with the third simply footed, is a way around the issue.

A wheeled dolly for two legs is an option, and maybe better than semi-permanently attaching the wheels to the legs. Also, a dolly that spans the distance between two (opened, fully extended) legs will be more structurally stable than individual wheels at the base of each leg.

If I'm careful with my design, I might be able to make it so that the wheels only contact the floor when the tripod is tilted, like a tilt-n-roll ladder:
http://www.industrialm​aintenanceplatforms.co​m …ilt-and-roll-ladder_1.jpg (external link)

But, this might not work well on on carpeted floors. And, it might be impractical/unwieldy since the legs are still hinged at the top of the tripod. I'll keep thinking on it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,655 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2018 16:01 |  #5

How tall must the contraption be?
You say you're rather handy, so if not so very tall, it may be simple enough
to construct a smaller-diameter three-wheeled dolly with enough stability.
I'd imagine it should be simple enough to fashion a foot lever-actuated
mechanism which would plant firm supports next to two(or all) of the wheels,
lifting them slightly, for stability. Another press could put the wheels back
on the floor; roll it on, then repeat.

Just thinking out loud here...

CraigΣ 10-20|Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

423 views & 0 likes for this thread
brainstorming: Rolling tripod for Matterport 3D real-estate camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.