Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 17:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

help with my memory card

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Jan 25, 2018 17:34 |  #1

The card was working fine two days ago, this afternoon I turn on my camera and I'm getting this message. any help?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.comexternal link
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,688 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 25, 2018 19:13 |  #2

I see in your equipment you have a T2i which was prone to issues with the SD card slot area. But start with checking the card then move to checking the camera.

Are there any valuable images on the card? If not do an in camera low level format and report back. Also, try a different card and see what behavior you get. Carefully check the plastic that borders the sliding contacts. It has been reported that some of the plastic may break off. Last thing would be to get a really bright light and look into the slot. You should see a switch that should line up with the notch on the side of the card near the lock switch. Do you see any damage on the switch? There are also some reports of people having issues that were fixed by filling the void adjacent to the lock switch and then applying scotch tape over the switch area. This enabled the camera to work.

MadMadge
30 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 25, 2018 19:16 |  #3

The card may possibly be corrupt. Do you have a memory card reader you could try it in?

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Jan 26, 2018 09:20 |  #4

This is the first time my T2i has had an issue, and I've used many SD cards with it.
I've tried formatting it as I've already erased what was on there (or taken off) and I keep getting an error that Windows cannot format card. I've tried both the low level format and the other one (can't remember what it was but I am not home at that computer). And it came up with the error both times, I am having no issues with my other cards though, I've got 3 other working cards and I have no issues with them.
I went ahead last night and bought another 32 GB just like this one, just in case I have to trash this one.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Jan 26, 2018 09:22 |  #5

My cards.
The transcend one is damaged (thanks to my son) but I am unwilling to get rid of it.

HOSTED PHOTO

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,688 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 28 days ago by John from PA.
Jan 26, 2018 10:43 |  #6

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #18549314 (external link)
I've tried formatting it as I've already erased what was on there (or taken off) and I keep getting an error that Windows cannot format card. I've tried both the low level format and the other one (can't remember what it was but I am not home at that computer). And it came up with the error both times, I am having no issues with my other cards though, I've got 3 other working cards and I have no issues with them.
I went ahead last night and bought another 32 GB just like this one, just in case I have to trash this one.

Based on these various comments, and the fact that memory is cheap, I would trash the card that gave you the original issues. Even if you get it working, why risk a chance it would act up again and at a time when you might lose valuable images?

By the way I previously mentioned a low level format in camera meaning don't do it in a computer. It isn't super critical but done in camera a very specific directory structure is established.

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Jan 26, 2018 11:33 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18549381 (external link)
Based on these various comments, and the fgact that memory is cheap, I would trash the card that gave you the original issues. Even if you get it working, why risk a chance it would act up again and at a time when you might lose valuable images.

By the way I previously mentioned a low level format in camera meaning don't do it in a computer. It isn't super critical but done in camera a very specific directory structure is established.

I'll remember that. And yeah I'll go ahead and toss it.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,745 posts
Joined May 2007
Jan 26, 2018 16:34 |  #8

If even Windows can't format with a card reader, the card is shot.

My question to OP, is there any reason you want a UHS-II card for a Ti2? It costs more and you won't have any benefit with Ti2.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,688 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 27, 2018 08:30 |  #9

eelnoraa wrote in post #18549696 (external link)
My question to OP, is there any reason you want a UHS-II card for a Ti2? It costs more and you won't have any benefit with Ti2.

Good point, just go to Best Buy and get the card below for $20 (MSRP $55).

HOSTED PHOTO

tim
Light Bringer
50,883 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 29, 2018 12:21 |  #10

My experience is Lexar cards have more problems than other brands.

If a card ever plays up at all, either toss it out or have it replaced. It's not worth any risk. Test the cards each year, I use this (external link).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

281 views & 4 likes for this thread
help with my memory card
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.