Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 26 Jan 2018 (Friday) 10:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DJI’s newest 4K folding drone costs $799 | Mavic Air

koolcreation
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 26, 2018 10:43 |  #1

IMAGE: https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2018/01/djimavicairfeat-800x420.jpg

DJI is ready to tighten its grip on the drone market with the new Mavic Air. Announced today at an event in New York City, the $799 Mavic Air slots right in between the company’s cheapest drone (the $399 Spark) and its most capable prosumer model (the $999 Mavic Pro). It goes on sale January 28th.

The Mavic Air is truly a blend of those two drones. From certain angles, especially from the top, it resembles a stockier Mavic Pro, while from others (the front) it looks an awful like the Spark. Like the Mavic Pro, the drone folds up for better portability. It folds up into a smaller footprint than the Spark, and it’s 41 percent lighter than the Pro.

The specs of the Mavic Air are much closer to those of the Pro, which should please consumers who thought the Spark was too underpowered to use for filming or photography. In some ways, it almost sounds better. The Mavic Air uses a 1/2.3-inch sensor that shoots 4K video at 24 or 30 frames per second, or 12-megapixel stills, all with a wide-angle 24mm f/2.8 lens. It tops out at 42.5 miles per hour, can withstand winds of up to 22 miles per hour, and has a 2.5-mile range (within visual line of sight), thanks to a new antenna design.

The Mavic Air also got a redesigned ventilation system that DJI says will help keep it from overheating, along with a new 3-axis gimbal casing for the camera for smooth footage. It should be relatively easy and safe to fly, too, with a seven-camera obstacle avoidance system. There’s also a new remote, which is included in the $799 price.

DJI is promising both updated and improved software features on the Air, too. There are new shooting modes (including a 32-megapixel panorama option, or a tiny planet mode), better gesture controls, and the company claims it’s improved its image processing in order to squeeze better photos and videos out of that relatively tiny sensor. New obstacle-avoidance software, which calls on more sensors and better algorithms, will help the drone avoid and move past obstacles instead of just stopping in front of them, according to DJI.

One thing DJI didn’t do with the new drone is improve the flying time in any significant way. The Mavic Air is only capable of staying in flight for 21 minutes, which is five more than the Spark, but six short of the Mavic Pro. (The flight time is nine minutes short of the flight time of the Mavic Pro Platinum, an upgraded version of the Mavic Pro that costs $1,099.)

DJI built up its dominant market share in North America on the strength of the Phantom series of drones, but it’s the increased portability and affordability of products like the Mavic Pro and the Spark that have solidified its grip. As DJI keeps innovating with new drones and finding new price points to match, the American competition has essentially fallen away. Just two weeks ago, GoPro announced that it is exiting the market and shutting down the division that made its own drone, Karma.

Source https://www.theverge.c​om ...drone-price-specs-release (external link)

https://youtu.be/0jINa​vRoEsE (external link)

IMAGE: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/6LFubIgDAcDFGWDJXiM7Veah0yQ=/1000x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10083301/dji_mavic_air_drone_9925.jpg

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,183 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 27, 2018 09:29 |  #2

I've had the P3 for 2 years. I'm glad I've held out this long. Very much wanted the mavic pro platinum but couldn't stand the price for it vs the regular pro. It also doesn't have rear sensors on it. I very much love the spark size but didn't fold. My P3P I have the pelican case for it, batteries etc but I noticed that when I traveled I didn't want to take the bulk with me. So this Mavic Air is perfect for me and I've already pre-ordered it. DJI released the fly more combo pack and also have a combo w/ the goggles for $1298.

https://store.dji.com/​product/mavic-air?vid=39601 (external link)

I went ahead and got the DJI care for it too. Since I got the goggles this will let me be a bit more daring. I also wanted the goggles for the kids to be able to enjoy the view from above. Trying to do things that keeps them involved and they love the drones, they each have toy versions.

The only thing is the camera is still the same unit on the P3P as far as "photos" are concerned. Video will be a uptick since it's 100mbps so thats good. This thing for me is just recreational use anyway. I'l be able to take it everywhere... no matter what so I'll get much more use out of this.

Can't wait :)

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

rinfie
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Jan 27, 2018 10:39 |  #3

I bought the Mavic Pro about 3 months ago. This is the day that I knew would come where another option would be released to start moving my drone towards obsolescence. I'm still very happy with the Mavic and love the compact nature of the foldable arms, with the new Mavic Air continues with. I'm wondering if the next versions of the higher end drones will also start to incorporate foldable arms?

Ryan
Co-Owner at Jubilant Studios (external link)
Gear:
Canon 5DmkIV, Canon 7DmkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 100 Macro, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4, Tamron 24-70

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Jan 28, 2018 20:07 |  #4

I too have the P3P and love it. I use the Nexus 7 for the display, what does the Mavic Air use?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,183 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 28, 2018 20:15 as a reply to Scoobert's post |  #5

Uses your phone. I think it expands to handle the larger phones and also it accepts phones in cases. Hopefully mine ships soon.

My P3P I'm trying to get that sucker sold quick :)

My Gear Archive

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by Scoobert. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 28, 2018 20:20 as a reply to Talley's post |  #6

LOL, my phone is so old it only displays numbers and letters. Any idea what the biggest and brightest screen you can get for it is?

I got a P3P, 5 batteries, 2 controllers (one with the long range antenna), filters and 2 nexus tablets. Will all be on CL soon although its going to be harder to sell it in the winter :).

I dont like how its going to be a wifi signal now instead of radio, that's kinda scary considering just how bad the DJI app is and how often it crashes.

Think I will wait for the Mavic Pro II and its better camera.

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Jan 28, 2018 23:26 |  #7

Interesting for those without a Mavic Pro but I'll be hanging out for the Mavic pro II.

Gear List

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,183 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 29, 2018 12:25 |  #8

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #18551447 (external link)
Interesting for those without a Mavic Pro but I'll be hanging out for the Mavic pro II.

Sure...

But why limit to one?

My Gear Archive

jptsr1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Northern NJ
Jan 29, 2018 12:33 |  #9

I've got a P3P and a Spark. On the fence if I'm going to pick this one up. Maybe once I get to try one and see how it flies.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Jan 30, 2018 03:16 |  #10

Talley wrote in post #18551757 (external link)
Sure...

But why limit to one?

Well, I already have a Spark too :)

Gear List

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 30, 2018 23:52 |  #11

At first I was excited at what seemed to be a better, faster, cheaper Mavic Pro. Then I realized it had no OccuSync, so all flight control and video needs to go over WiFi. I'm not so concerned about the range -- the latest round of testing seems to show 800-1000 meters before loss-of-signal, somewhat less before controls get laggy. That's fine for most of what I do. The problem is what happens in areas with congested WiFi? Or if I have to fly in an area with dense foliage?

If the rumor turn out to be accurate, the Mavic Pro 2 will be out in a few months with a 1" camera, 4K60 and 1080Px120, improved gimbal, larger battery and rear sensors for around $1100. In the meantime, the original Mavic Pro is available from Costco for $799 -- the same price as the Mavic Air -- is a tremendous value.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,183 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Feb 01, 2018 18:36 |  #12

I'd never consider a spark due to it's inability to fold. This will have the IQ that is sufficient for this to be a travel size.

I'll have the Air... then I'll see about getting the P5P

My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,183 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Feb 02, 2018 19:34 |  #13

Got my Mavic Air today... ran through 3 batteries.

1. 15:48
2. 13:53
3. 15:23

This was pretty mixed on sport and just a whole lot of "fun" flying. I'm sure with "cinematic" type flying you would yield more

A few things to note:

I like my P3P more as far as flying.... for fun. I'm sure there is a few settings I can swap around but sport mode is a huge boost.... the normal mode seems just right for filming. Love the tripod mode... alot.

Still got to play with it. Noise level IS NOT LOUD... I mean I guess compared to the other foldable platinum model it is but compared to the P3P it's MUCH quieter.

I'll get data on the sound soon. Spectrum Analysis on a calibrated microphone.

Ok... This thing does not fly like a P3P at all... totally different behavior. I have to re-learn alot really. Little guy is pretty quick

Very sluggish on all controls even in sport mode VS the P3P. The P3P is instant... it's so awesome but this mavic air is... well... I dunno just sluggish feeling.

I wonder if that is the same on the mavic pro?

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

903 views & 2 likes for this thread
DJI’s newest 4K folding drone costs $799 | Mavic Air
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.