Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 26 Jan 2018 (Friday) 12:05
Prev/next

Biggest obstacle in finding model

inwardphoto
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Jan 26, 2018 12:05 |  #1

Here in my location, Arkansas, USA, It seems that the biggest obstacle to finding good models is Craigslist (CL) and the Guy With A Camera (GWC).

Get on craigslist and look in the creative section and you find all sorts of adds for guys looking for models. You see lines such as (You must host, I want my photos to be unique" and such. None post a link to a portfolio, give contact information, etc, or at least the majority don't.

I admit I've posted on CL looking for specific things. When I do I give a phone number, I usually put my name and a link to my portfolio that I let Adobe host. I'm trying to set myself apart from those GWC.

When you post on sites like CL what information do you provide in the add for prospective models?

Canon EOS 80D | Fujifilm X100F | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 26, 2018 13:45 |  #2

People ain't clicking on links to portfolios.

Do you put actual images in your ads, representing the style of photos you want to shoot? Even if you're looking for nude models and can't post nude images, you can still display similarly-composed images that demonstrate your skill with lighting and retouching.

Also, offer to provide local references.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Jan 27, 2018 07:36 as a reply to nathancarter's post |  #3

Good idea, thanks.

The whole advertising thing is new to me.

Canon EOS 80D | Fujifilm X100F | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,638 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Portland, Oregon
Jan 27, 2018 13:35 |  #4

Craig's List has always been the least productive means of finding a model for me. It can be done, but usually the model is less than reliable or just never shows up for the interview/shoot. Model Mayhem is a better source as they at least require models to have a portfolio and a profile. There are other online venues such as One Model Place, but I've always found the best models come via referrals from other models or photographers.

If there is a local art school or college, you might try posting a notice on one of their bulletin boards (physical or online). Good luck.

(When I first started I had to put ads in <gasp> newspapers). :)

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,235 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 27, 2018 14:00 |  #5

We find a good 75% of our models on CL, we run ads with photos in the ad that are consistent. We list out what we are looking for, (the ads with several ideas get more response). We list our company name and a link to our actual website, our IG name and FB page. We list exactly what we expect and what the model will get in return. We then run a few versions of the ad every couple days (different one each day, over several days). Some ads get us 10-15 responses in the first day others nothing. Its a crap shoot.

Then comes the fun part of weeding thru the responses. We ask for a few photos in our ad, if the model send those in the first step it helps, otherwise we send a short response with a simple "Please send over a few photos, selfie style is fine for consideration".

A lot depends on what exactly you are looking for.

A big one for us, we have our own studio and say so in our ad if we are doing studio sessions. If you do not but plan to rent one, just say the session will take place in a studio.

Consistency is key, we have a lot of models that tell us they saw our ads for several different shoots before they felt safe reaching out. Be professional 100% of the time in your ads and you will start to stand apart.

charlemagne
Joined Feb 2011
Ronse - Belgium
Jan 30, 2018 01:21 |  #6

any chances for Modelmayhem contacts in your area? this site is directly related to photography/models and may give you better succes rates.

Ludwig

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

johnvanr
51 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Jan 30, 2018 19:55 |  #7

If I needed a model quickly and I could pay, Craigslist has been helpful. Otherwise, Modelmayhem works but here in the US it’s slowly falling apart and being taken over by Instagram (which I find a pain).

http://www.photographi​cwanderings.com (external link)
- Olympus MFT for city & travel
- Canon 1Dx/5DIV/5DSr for birds, landscape & models

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Jan 31, 2018 08:25 as a reply to charlemagne's post |  #8

The same "Guy With A Camera" issue has hit modelmayhem.

My focus is going to be demonstrating my professionalism and hoping that brings people to my door. I've got studio space lined up and I hope that having a secure, professional space helps.

charlemagne
Joined Feb 2011
Ronse - Belgium
Post has been edited 23 days ago by charlemagne.
Jan 31, 2018 11:27 |  #9

inwardphoto wrote in post #18553228 (external link)
The same "Guy With A Camera" issue has hit modelmayhem.

My focus is going to be demonstrating my professionalism and hoping that brings people to my door. I've got studio space lined up and I hope that having a secure, professional space helps.

I'm sure it does, I have had the opportunity of renting a local place nearby and I have not hesitated a minute. I have always been shooting on third party locations (both payed or private), and I still love doing it, but it is very convenient if you can shoot without depending from others.
I have gathered some fine furniture in secondhand stores, painted 2 walls white and 1 black and the room has a nice wooden parquet floor. I need not hesitate anymore to 'have someone in' on any day, since I always have my own space as a backup should a location be cancelled or should the weather be poor. This makes me feel a lot more confident in offering shooting packages on my website (which I must do ... at once ;) )

So get yourself a good portfolio together, get your own web space showing that portfolio, and work your networks ... next to that, be professional in your communication and shoot execution, and things should go smoother day after day.

ludwig

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

418 views & 1 like for this thread
Biggest obstacle in finding model
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.