Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 26 Jan 2018 (Friday) 16:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Art Morris switched to Nikon

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,488 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Jan 26, 2018 16:11 |  #1

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com ...ched-from-canon-to-nikon/ (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 26, 2018 16:52 |  #2

Holy smack!

The traffic crashed his server! (Or it was a hack?)

Not a hack, it's on his facebook page too;

https://www.facebook.c​om/arthurmorrisBIRDSAS​ART/ (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 26, 2018 17:01 |  #3

The blog is back up...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jan 26, 2018 17:32 |  #4

Pretty interesting stuff.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,488 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Jan 26, 2018 18:45 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18549710 (external link)
Holy smack!

The traffic crashed his server! (Or it was a hack?)

Not a hack, it's on his facebook page too;

https://www.facebook.c​om/arthurmorrisBIRDSAS​ART/ (external link)

It's not a hack, he has submitted himself to the Darkside :)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Jan 27, 2018 00:11 |  #6

Have been watching with interest on his blog and wil continue to do so.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,672 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by MDJAK. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2018 19:13 |  #7

He used to be a canon explorer of light and was dropped a few years back. Yet he remained with Canon for a few more years. He’s good at what he does so could use a brownie and get good pics. I attended a presentation of his a number of years ago in Staten Island.

All that said, I had an experience with Art that was quite surprising. I used his used gear service to sell a 600mm II a few years back. He’s got a good audience for big primes. Easier to sell there than here for sure. He charges a five percent commission. I sold my lens through his site for close to 10k. I immediately sent him a check for $500 and said thank you.

And while I don’t recall exactly what later occurred between he and me, his subsequent actions were about as immature as it gets. I was commenting on something. I said he had said something. He vehemently denied it and invited me to prove it. Ok, prove it I did. I provided the email from him in which he stated verbatim what I said he said.

What did he do? He immediately deleted my comments and ran and hid. He then told me I was persona non grata on his site. Really? I needed a box of Kleenex to wipe my tears. As if he’s the only game in town. His site is so crassly commercial it’s sickening. Now in every post he brags about booking.com and posts the link so he can be rewarded if someone clicks on it. He’d sell his soul to the devil if it brought remuneration.

A few years ago Scott Kelby switched from Nikon to Canon. Joe McNally, a man true to his ideals, has used Nikon for years. When he switches it will be time to sit up and take notice.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 29, 2018 20:19 as a reply to MDJAK's post |  #8

MDJACK: wrote:
He used to be a canon explorer of light and was dropped a few years back. Yet he remained with Canon for a few more years. He’s good at what he does so could use a brownie and get good pics. I attended a presentation of his a number of years ago in Staten Island.

All that said, I had an experience with Art that was quite surprising. I used his used gear service to sell a 600mm II a few years back. He’s got a good audience for big primes. Easier to sell there than here for sure. He charges a five percent commission. I sold my lens through his site for close to 10k. I immediately sent him a check for $500 and said thank you.

And while I don’t recall exactly what later occurred between he and me, his subsequent actions were about as immature as it gets. I was commenting on something. I said he had said something. He vehemently denied it and invited me to prove it. Ok, prove it I did. I provided the email from him in which he stated verbatim what I said he said.

What did he do? He immediately deleted my comments and ran and hid. He then told me I was persona non grata on his site. Really? I needed a box of Kleenex to wipe my tears. As if he’s the only game in town. His site is so crassly commercial it’s sickening. Now in every post he brags about booking.com and posts the link so he can be rewarded if someone clicks on it. He’d sell his soul to the devil if it brought remuneration.

A few years ago Scott Kelby switched from Nikon to Canon. Joe McNally, a man true to his ideals, has used Nikon for years. When he switches it will be time to sit up and take notice.

I am so glad that you shared this about Art!

I am quoting you so that I have a record of your account, in case your post is edited or deleted.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jan 29, 2018 20:42 |  #9

i might be one of the odd ones, but i don't follow any other photographers, so this news means little to nothing to me.

what really gets me is when someone who is clearly revered in the industry does awful sh!t like make their blog post headlines eye bleeding yellow. The rest of the site looks like junk too. With such a huge part of nature photography being tied to just being there, does this person really have an eye for what looks good or is it just luck of living in a digital world and bring in the right place at the right time.

http://www.birdsasart.​com/ (external link)

really?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 29, 2018 20:59 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18552112 (external link)
i might be one of the odd ones, but i don't follow any other photographers, so this news means little to nothing to me.

what really gets me is when someone who is clearly revered in the industry does awful sh!t like make their blog post headlines eye bleeding yellow. The rest of the site looks like junk too. With such a huge part of nature photography being tied to just being there, does this person really have an eye for what looks good or is it just luck of living in a digital world and bring in the right place at the right time.

http://www.birdsasart.​com/ (external link)

really?

I totally agree with you.

His website, blog, etc is completely about the things that I love so much - birds, wildlife, and photographing them. . Yet I've never been able to negotiate his webpages because of the very strange way that they are designed, graphically.

There seems to be no logic or reason as to the layout of the pages and the way the text is formatted. . It literally hurts my eyes and my brain when I try to read what he writes, because of the weird color combinations of the text and the background and the way that the ads - SO MANY ADS - seem to wrap themselves all around the content.

Usually, when formatting and designing webpages, people use colors to make the content tie together better, and to help the viewer differentiate between the main article and insets, or between the main article and the advertisements. . But on his website it looks like color was intentionally used to confuse people - as if someone took a kalidoscope and ran it through a meat grinder.

Also, there are no hot links where you would expect them to be, so that going from one part of his site to another related part is a nightmare, and I end up clicking on one thing after another after another, without ever finding what I am looking for.

Trying to use his site is such a nightmare that a few years ago I simply gave up, and no longer visit there.

Besides, he does seem to have "an edge" to him, and is sometimes strongly opinionated in a negative and critical way. . Not everything he says is kind and humble and agreeable and classy, the way it ought to be from a public figure such as himself.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lt ­ Colonel
Joined Dec 2013
Just out of range.
Jan 29, 2018 22:04 |  #11

I would never deny Arthur's talent and abilities as a photographer. However, his actions in this move seem to be motivated by more than simply liking Nikon's AF system better. It's almost like he's being rewarded in some way, whether it’s as simple as "hey Canon, I can do this without you", or maybe something else. I can't comprehend the amount money in L glass he sold (maybe purchased with a discount as an EOL) to be replaced with Nikon glass at retail price? Just doesn't seem like a sound financial move to me.

I can't imagine what someone with his talent's and reputation might have done to be dropped as an EOL, but apparently someone at Canon didn't like it.

I wish him well.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 30, 2018 16:29 |  #12

I am just amazed that Art would abandon the 400mm f/5.6L

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 24 days ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 30, 2018 17:59 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18552124 (external link)

Besides, he does seem to have "an edge" to him, and is sometimes strongly opinionated in a negative and critical way. . Not everything he says is kind and humble and agreeable and classy, the way it ought to be from a public figure such as himself.

I believe that he thinks of himself as THE pioneering bird photographer. And well, honestly, with very good reason. Obviously he's not the first and was never the oone and only, but he did write the book on it back when film was still being used,. and has helped his field go from a tiny niche to a HUGELY popular aspect of photography. He played a very large part in that growth, he helped a lot of us along, often personally, and even more via inspiration. In the early days of Digital and forums, he was quite active and personable. We used to cross paths on NatureScapes forum quite a bit where he was an active participant. Seriously there was a time (around 2002- 2007) when seemingly EVERY bird photographer knew who he was and had had some form of personal interactions with him, both online and in person (In my case it was in Cape May) we all shot the 400mm often due to his extolling of it's virtues (correctly so) etc.

Somewhere along the line he went from being that benevolent teacher enthusiastically encouraging others, to something else. It seemed the more competition for his corner of the internet, the more distant he became, even though he himself did a lot to create that competition via his own encouragement.

Also, I think there was a falling out with the NatureScapes people mixed in there somewhere, ( Greg Downing and E.J. Peiker ) He now seems to be in competition with them and their business model.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,300 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jan 30, 2018 18:16 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18552845 (external link)
Also, I think there was a falling out with the NatureScapes people mixed in there somewhere, ( Greg Downing and E.J. Peiker ) He now seems to be in competition with them and their business model.

I've never heard of him (sorry), thanks for the history info.

I find it odd that there is so much stuff in his shop https://birdsasart-shop.com (external link) but not a single framed print or poster you can buy. I would have expected that his art would have been the focus of his site, but it looks more like a camera gear and instruction book selling vessel.

No matter. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Hasselblad, Lomo - whatever works! :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 30, 2018 18:32 |  #15

Pekka wrote in post #18552856 (external link)
I find it odd that there is so much stuff in his shop https://birdsasart-shop.com (external link) but not a single framed print or poster you can buy. I would have expected that his art would have been the focus of his site, but it looks more like a camera gear and instruction book selling vessel.

Sadly, almost no one buys bird or wildlife prints anymore.

Trust me, if Artie could make a buck on something, he would be selling it! . He is, truly, "all about the money". - .a fact which he doesn't even attempt to hide.

sponsored links

609 views & 14 likes for this thread
Art Morris switched to Nikon
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.