Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

...new US Government Copyright Registration rules: how will it affect you?

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 27, 2018 16:13 |  #1

https://www.copyright.​gov/rulemaking/group-photographs/ (external link)

The final rule adopts a new requirement that applicants seeking copyright registrations for groups of photographs—both published and unpublished—must generally submit applications through the Office’s electronic registration system, and can include up to 750 photographs in each claim.

In less than a month, the limit is going to be 750 images, TOTAL, on a single registration. This means that a group registration of 5,500 images that I could previously register for $55 using the online eCO, will now cost me $520, or almost a ten-fold increase.

https://photobusinessf​orum.blogspot.co.nz …nges-at-us-copyright.html (external link)

I don't live in the US, so even though some photographers have encouraged non-USer's to register it didn't really make financial sense to do so. And now it makes even less sense. So obviously this doesn't affect me at all: but I'm curious as to how it affects those of you in the US, and if it will change your workflow, what you charge your clients, etc.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,893 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 27, 2018 21:37 |  #2

All the changes look good except for that limit on images submitted. It used to be possible to register all the images you took within a 90 day period in one submission, in order to ensure you would benefit from the protection of statutory damages in case of infringement.

In one randomly selected 90 day period last year I shot over 4,000 images (I shoot sports).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,231 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 28, 2018 05:21 |  #3

This method of more restrictive limits on what or how many seems to be a more recurring theme with governmental processes to billboard revenue without 'raising' prices. USPS just did something similar but only a 4x increase in cost but on something smaller but occurs on a much larger scale. Thing is we all know what it is, it isn't that hidden of a tactic...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Silver-Halide
776 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 29, 2018 09:57 |  #4

BOO!! vmad

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,705 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 14, 2018 14:24 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18550578 (external link)
All the changes look good except for that limit on images submitted. It used to be possible to register all the images you took within a 90 day period in one submission, in order to ensure you would benefit from the protection of statutory damages in case of infringement.

In one randomly selected 90 day period last year I shot over 4,000 images (I shoot sports).

Not sure how you can get around it, Dan, but I figure "close enough" will work well enough--I don't submit any near duplicates out of a job.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 14:44 |  #6

Simply our current government trying to get more money in thru various sources, to keep the growing deficit down in size in spite of lowering taxes and increasing spending on international walls and military spending.
Increased fees for entering our National Parks is another example.

Did these people never have to balance spending vs. income in their own households?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Silver-Halide
776 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 14, 2018 22:05 |  #7

RDKirk wrote in post #18563784 (external link)
Not sure how you can get around it, Dan, but I figure "close enough" will work well enough--I don't submit any near duplicates out of a job.

We'll have to chose between paying for multiple submissions or spending the time to cull the collection down. I may shoot 300 images in a family session and only deliver 25. I guess I can just pick the 25 delivered, but what if I decide to play around with #26 later on and it turns out to be a great image? It was easy and simple to cut a small 800x600px jpg of all images and upload. I just got an upload done yesterday and it was only 1.04GB for about 3,000 images.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

RDKirk
12,705 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 15, 2018 08:01 |  #8

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18564079 (external link)
We'll have to chose between paying for multiple submissions or spending the time to cull the collection down.

Yes, I didn't mention it, but that is indeed the tradeoff. Time for money.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,875 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2018 10:50 |  #9

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18564079 (external link)
I may shoot 300 images in a family session and only deliver 25. I guess I can just pick the 25 delivered, but what if I decide to play around with #26 later on and it turns out to be a great image?

Just curious ..... why would you need to register copyright for family session photos?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RDKirk
12,705 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

Feb 15, 2018 12:08 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18564396 (external link)
Just curious ..... why would you need to register copyright for family session photos?

The family posts the photos on social media and the Wile E Coyote running social media for Acme Gutters and Stormpipes decides to "share" one of them accompanied by a pithy company comment.

That's a standard way of doing business for a lot of pretty significant companies. They're only going to be caught by the copyright owner only once in a thousand times, so they pay that photographer off for a pittance. The chances of being caught by a registered copyright owner--which would incur heavy fines--are even slimmer.

However...because those fines are so stiff, there are actually a few hack photographers who are creating an income stream by putting hundreds of mediocre photographs--copyrights registered--into social media and checking closely to see if any companies take the bait.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,875 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 15, 2018 14:17 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #18564461 (external link)
However...because those fines are so stiff, there are actually a few hack photographers who are creating an income stream by putting hundreds of mediocre photographs--copyrights registered--into social media and checking closely to see if any companies take the bait.

That sounds about as low down as being an ambulance chaser or a patent troll. . I guess as long as there is a way to make money easily, without doing much hard work to get it, there will be people who do these ignoble things.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RDKirk
12,705 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

Feb 15, 2018 15:21 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18564560 (external link)
That sounds about as low down as being an ambulance chaser or a patent troll. . I guess as long as there is a way to make money easily, without doing much hard work to get it, there will be people who do these ignoble things.

After thinking about it a while, I figure those guys are actually performing a public service.

First, if someone steals their image, the image must have been worth stealing...meaning that it was worth having paid for in the first place.

Basically, if nobody was stealing other people's images, nobody would get sued. If this becomes enough of a threat, at least the larger businesses might stop stealing images.

Pinto
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2018 13:07 |  #13

RDKirk wrote in post #18564598 (external link)
After thinking about it a while, I figure those guys are actually performing a public service.

First, if someone steals their image, the image must have been worth stealing...meaning that it was worth having paid for in the first place.

Basically, if nobody was stealing other people's images, nobody would get sued. If this becomes enough of a threat, at least the larger businesses might stop stealing images.

I agree. They're trapping predators for the rest of us. Good public service.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,875 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2018 09:48 |  #14

Pinto wrote in post #18577427 (external link)
I agree. They're trapping predators for the rest of us. Good public service.

They are "trapping predators" for themselves, not for the rest of us.

Those who steal one photographer's images are different people than those who steal another photographer's images. . It's not like the same people are stealing a bunch of photos from a bunch of different photographers. . And it's also not like getting "caught" once or twice will curtail further image theft - it won't. . At all.

RDKirk
12,705 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 09, 2018 09:55 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18581065 (external link)
They are "trapping predators" for themselves, not for the rest of us.

That's fine. The benefit is the same.

Those who steal one photographer's images are different people than those who steal another photographer's images. It's not like the same people are stealing a bunch of photos from a bunch of different photographers.

But they are. This is the way some businesses are doing business--it's how they do their advertising. Why would you think otherwise?

And it's also not like getting "caught" once or twice will curtail further image theft - it won't.

If those photographers are merely accepting a minimal pay-off, that might be true. Or it might not.

Either way, I certainly have less problem with the bounty hunters than with the thieves they're trapping.

sponsored links

1,746 views & 8 likes for this thread
...new US Government Copyright Registration rules: how will it affect you?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.