Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 27 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 20:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Glacier National Park lens options

Snydremark
Myth-informed
18,010 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 29, 2018 19:26 |  #16

Capn Jack wrote in post #18552047 (external link)
Also, consider a tripod to help stabilize the long lens. Or even a monopod will help. I have a walking stick with the screw that fits into the camera (1/4 inch by 20 thread)

Monopod would be good; there's very little room for setting up tripods at a lot of the spaces. I managed to set it up for some of the more remote vistas but otherwise just had to shoot handheld due to crowding.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
treebound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2011
Wisconsin
Jan 29, 2018 19:30 |  #17

I do like the shuttle option.

I spent my childhood in Washington state. I’ve made the drive between Wisconsin and the west coast numerous times and have been through the Sturgis region a few times, once on a motorcycle. I just never went through GNP. When I rode the motorcycle west I had a route planned for the way back that included the park, but a driver of a pickup truck near the Olympics rearended me on the bike and totaled the bike so the return trip got changed (I had the bike bumper-punched from under me and slid up on the hood and windshield of the truck and then slid off when everything stopped moving and was deposited on the pavement by the bike and walked away with just some internal discomfort and soft tissue stress but nothing broken, over ten years now and I still have a little discomfort at the base of my rib cage, but life goes on).

As for bicycling there are times when the highway is closed to cars, so if I ever do bicycle that road it will be in the car-free period of time. Today I found a couple youtube videos of people cycling the road and it looks like it could be fun.

I can see us parking and doing the shuttle one day, then driving ourselves the next day. That summit hike does sound good. I can easily see spending several days in that general region.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

treebound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2011
Wisconsin
Post has been edited 25 days ago by treebound.
Jan 29, 2018 19:38 |  #18

I’ve got a decent monopod with a tilt head, and I’ve gotten fairly adept at using my main tripod as a monopod when necessary. I don’t have a gimbal (gimble?), never had a long enough lens to need one, but I’ll factor one in if needed. And I am going to talk myself into a long lens real soon, wanted one for a long time, might be time this year.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

Snydremark
Myth-informed
18,010 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 29, 2018 19:41 |  #19

treebound wrote in post #18552063 (external link)
I’ve got a decent monopod with a tilt head, and I’ve gotten fairly adept at using my main tripod as a monopod when necessary. I don’t have a gimble, never had a long enough lens to need one, but I’ll factor one in if needed. And I am going to talk myself into a long lens real soon, wanted one for a long time, might be time this year.

Monopod w/ the 100-400||150-600 should be sufficient there. The Logan's Pass hike is only steep-ish in a couple of spots, otherwise, it's just a stroll through the mts. Would love to go back.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

palmor
Joined Feb 2009
North of Boston, MA
Feb 07, 2018 07:56 |  #20

I went a couple of years ago and 90% of my shots were with a 17-40L (on a 5d III) and even though I had a 150-600mm most of my best wildlife shots were with the 70-300L on a 7d II.

If you are happy with your 18-135 you can always stitch a couple of photos together to get a wider view. If you want to upgrade that with a general purpose lens you can grab a used 17-55mm f/2.8 for ~$600 on KEH. Much faster then your current lens which might be helpful for you in general after the trip.

That only leaves $400 for a long lens which is a bit tougher. If you’d rather get a longer lens and keep your 18-135 then the Tamron 100-400 is getting good reviews ($800) or the Sigma 150-600C ($1000).

Have fun, it’s a great park and the views are amazing!

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​rexternal link
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.comexternal link
Gear List

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 07, 2018 10:55 |  #21

If you've never used a long lens, it takes a bit of practice to where you can attain reasonable images but personally I never cared to drag the damn thing around as they can be unwieldy and seem to go heavier the longer you carrying them.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

sponsored links

482 views & 4 likes for this thread
Glacier National Park lens options
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.