Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 28 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 02:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Studio Light on a Mic Scissor Bomm?

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Temma.
Jan 28, 2018 02:53 |  #1

I have a couple of scissor type desk lamps which I use for desktop photography.

While the arms are fine, the sockets are dubious for the 300w equivalent CFLs that I use.

Standard studio sockets would be much better, but far less flexible on conventional light stands.

There are numerous affordable scissor type mic stands which clamp to a tabletop. Can a lamp socket be substituted for the mic holder? If so, how?

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
797 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Jan 28, 2018 09:24 |  #2

Hi, Assuming we are talking about this sort of 'Scissor Boom';
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...or-Included/dp/B00DY1F2CS (external link)

" .. Can a lamp socket be substituted for the mic holder? If so, how?"

Yes, probably; you'd just need an adaptor to fit the bright pin at the top of the Boom, converting that to match a 5/8th in receiver on nearly all light fittings.

But those table mounted Scissor Booms are designed with a very specific 'payload' in mind. Most light setups are going to be heavier than a microphone.

A GripHead and 20 or 40 in Extension arm (Kupo's 'Hex' variety) supported by a lightstand (or multiples of that) would still be my preference.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,814 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 28, 2018 14:37 |  #3

There are specialty products designed specifically for studio lighting

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...o_Studio_Rail_Syste​m.html (external link)

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...1BhQjFEAQYBCABEgKGV​vD_BwE (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jan 28, 2018 17:23 |  #4

Those are neat, but I rent. Those are never going to be installed in my apartment.

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jan 28, 2018 17:28 |  #5

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18550859 (external link)
Hi, Assuming we are talking about this sort of 'Scissor Boom';
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...or-Included/dp/B00DY1F2CS (external link)

" .. Can a lamp socket be substituted for the mic holder? If so, how?"

Yes, probably; you'd just need an adaptor to fit the bright pin at the top of the Boom, converting that to match a 5/8th in receiver on nearly all light fittings.

But those table mounted Scissor Booms are designed with a very specific 'payload' in mind. Most light setups are going to be heavier than a microphone.

A GripHead and 20 or 40 in Extension arm (Kupo's 'Hex' variety) supported by a lightstand (or multiples of that) would still be my preference.

I already use similar "architect lamps".

The arms aren't a problem with the 300w equivalent CFLs that I use.

The problem is that they aren't made for bulbs the size of the 300w equivalent CFLs. I had to use a socket extender in one of them and it sometimes shorts out.

The photographic lamp sockets don't have the metal housing forward of the switch mechanism, which gets in the way of the CFLs.

I actually bought a couple of small light stands, but I doubt they'll fit on the table top and there isn't room for floor stands. I'm working in my living room and just don't have the space for a lot of big equipment.

OceanRipple*
797 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by OceanRipple*. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2018 05:43 as a reply to Temma's post |  #6

Hi, Maybe a photo of the lamp holder issues would help us.

" .. I doubt they'll fit on the table top and there isn't room for floor stands .. ". I see.

Then maybe your solution could be made to work.
Or:
Depending on the total weight of the light fixture .. You could start with a Superclamp on the table edge and attach eg Kupo's Max Arm. That offers a position flexible 5/8th in Stud for the light fitting. If you needed more height, add a solid 5/8th in Alu rod (vertically)(drops into the Hex socket nicely) topped with a Grip-head or radially grooved swivel adaptor (as shown) between the Superclamp and the Max Arm.

Here I have over complicated things to illustrate some of your options. There are alternatives available to use at A,B,C & D - you could, for instance, simply use another length of Alu 16 mm rod between B and D:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jan 29, 2018 14:51 |  #7

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18551543 (external link)
Hi, Maybe a photo of the lamp holder issues would help us.

" .. I doubt they'll fit on the table top and there isn't room for floor stands .. ". I see.

Then maybe your solution could be made to work.
Or:
Depending on the total weight of the light fixture .. You could start with a Superclamp on the table edge and attach eg Kupo's Max Arm. That offers a position flexible 5/8th in Stud for the light fitting. If you needed more height, add a solid 5/8th in Alu rod (vertically)(drops into the Hex socket nicely) topped with a Grip-head or radially grooved swivel adaptor (as shown) between the Superclamp and the Max Arm.

Here I have over complicated things to illustrate some of your options. There are alternatives available to use at A,B,C & D - you could, for instance, simply use another length of Alu 16 mm rod between B and D:
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by OceanRipple* in
./showthread.php?p=185​51543&i=i251374304
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

I have magic arms mounted on T-track on my macro rig to hold flashes. I have my doubts how well sockets with 300w CFLs would do on them.

The architect's lamps do fairly well apart from the actual bulb sockets. This is especially the case with regard to getting distance between the subject and the lamps.

OceanRipple*
797 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Jan 30, 2018 03:52 |  #8

Temma wrote in post #18551868 (external link)
The architect's lamps do fairly well apart from the actual bulb sockets. This is especially the case with regard to getting distance between the subject and the lamps.

Hi, Photos to illustrate your precise difficulty, might help. Tx

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jan 30, 2018 18:10 |  #9

I got my scissor booms, light stands and sockets today.

The adapters didn't come, but I found that a 3/8" coupler nut works just fine as an adapter. They'll need some blue Loctite, but so too would the regular adapters, I imagine.

Looking at the Neewer arms, they don't look any less well made than the lamps I was using.

Here's a picture of the existing CFL lighting. The camera mount is two versions old and long gone. The reflectors are cheap plastic flower pots lined with metallic tape:

HOSTED PHOTO

OceanRipple*
797 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Jan 31, 2018 12:33 as a reply to Temma's post |  #10

That sounds as if you have things up and running - if so, great.

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jan 31, 2018 19:03 as a reply to OceanRipple*'s post |  #11

I got the mic booms set up tonight and took my first images with them.

I'll post a picture of the booms later.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Temma's gallery.

sponsored links

968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio Light on a Mic Scissor Bomm?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.