Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 28 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 19:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon M80 storage Manual needed

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,575 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2005
Auckland
Jan 28, 2018 19:50 |  #1

Im trying to find the canon M80 storage manual pdf in english .... I found 1 in french and 1 in japanese if any one has it would be much appriciated.

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 29, 2018 00:42 |  #2

weka2000 wrote in post #18551313 (external link)
Im trying to find the canon M80 storage manual pdf in english .... I found 1 in french and 1 in japanese if any one has it would be much appriciated.

Hi Weka, I should have one - somewhere... will have a rake around in the roof for the box, next time it isn't 45 degrees up there!

in the meantime, is there anything particular you need to know? Haven't used mine in ages (probably the last gkpe) but it's fairly simple to operate.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,684 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by John from PA. 6 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2018 02:08 |  #3

If you are having connection issues, the Canon specification page indicates it is compatible with Windows Vista or older, so the OS could be a factor. In addition, since the M30/M80 is quite old (maybe 2006?) it may not be compatible with 32 GB cards (SDHC and SDXC).

There was a firmware update available. See https://www.photo.net ...0-firmware-update.330000/ (external link) for some tips by someone that got it loaded up. The firmware may still even be available at http://cweb.canon.jp ...amera/firm-m80-263-1.html (external link). That page is in Japanese but let Google do the translation. Even after the translation, down at the bottom right in a small box (in Japanese) is the firmware download box. Click that and you can learn what the firmware update accomplishes. You should also be able to go directly to the firmware page at
http://cweb.canon.jp ...amera/firm-m80-263-2.html (external link). Again, let Google do the translation.

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,575 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Auckland
Jan 29, 2018 22:31 |  #4

cheers Joeseph ....... John done the firmware update just wanting the manual as I dont have it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,684 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2018 08:05 |  #5

weka2000 wrote in post #18552165 (external link)
cheers Joeseph ....... John done the firmware update just wanting the manual as I dont have it.

Just a thought, the M30/80 supported 16 languages and if you look at the list of "what's in the box" a manual is not mentioned (see below). Could the manual possibly be embedded in the device? I recall owning a Casio PDA that came without a manual and that was the case. You accessed the "help" file through the actual device. As was typical back then with many such devices, there was some Microsoft software called ActiveSync that connected the device to a computer, synced email, contacts, etc. But once connected you could also access a help file and print out topics.

I would hook the device up to a PC and explore the contents of the hard drive and see what you might discover. Also, a review at https://www.ephotozine​.com ...orage-device-review-11112 (external link) can almost be a manual, certainly enough to get you started.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,684 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 30, 2018 08:18 |  #6

What do you get if you hit the "info" button? The device also supported Canon's PictBridge which at the time was a wired version and allowed direct printing of the screen to a compatible printer. My first digital was a Powershot G2 and you could minimally edit an image and then dump it to a printer. Worked well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 30, 2018 13:24 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18552296 (external link)
What do you get if you hit the "info" button?

seems to be just a screen on/off button...

I had a look around the visable file structure when USB connected and there isn't anything useful there (a lot of backup files from 2010!)

the USB connection also has a setup item that changes from "Storage mode" to "Printer Mode"

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,684 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 30, 2018 14:50 |  #8

joeseph wrote in post #18552566 (external link)
seems to be just a screen on/off button...

I had a look around the visable file structure when USB connected and there isn't anything useful there (a lot of backup files from 2010!)

the USB connection also has a setup item that changes from "Storage mode" to "Printer Mode"

Check the link I provided in response #5. If you read it carefully it can be the basis for using the device. For instance, the reviewer makes the statement "Despite it's similar design to EOS, the power switch is a spring loaded type and the screen will automatically direct to the “home” page where you have the choice of five areas to go to which are for backing up, playing back images, listening to any sound recordings, watching any motion files and adjusting the set up of the viewer."

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jan 31, 2018 20:04 |  #9

Good news - I've found the box with the manuals CD in it, so have put a copy up here: http://www.mediafire.c​om ...yc7gl/Advance_Engli​sh.pdf (external link)

hope it helps! must say I haven't used my M80 unit for quite some years now, as the size of very large CF cards has become much more affordable.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,684 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 01, 2018 15:45 |  #10

Considering it was late 2006 and Canon was "marrying" several technologies into the device, to price the M80 at $1100 was a likely contributor to its rapid downfall. It was not too many years later that memory prices started to decline rapidly, memory capacities climbed, color screens came down in price, and USB 3 replaced USB 2.

weka2000
THREAD ­ STARTER
20,575 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Auckland
Feb 01, 2018 22:43 |  #11

8gig max memory card size it will read as well.

Thanks for manual

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Feb 02, 2018 02:44 |  #12

weka2000 wrote in post #18554434 (external link)
8gig max memory card size it will read as well.

Thanks for manual

all good, pleased to help.

just for reference, the M80 reads my 32G SD card that I use for the M5, backs up, just fine. Mind you, it locks up completely when you ask the M80 to display a M5 raw file though!
(not really surprising considering the M5 raw format hadn't been invented when the M80 left the shelves...)
Jpegs it can handle.

sponsored links

681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon M80 storage Manual needed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.