Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 15:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Photo Jackets/Clothing do people use?

Vintage ­ Racer
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2018
France
Jan 29, 2018 15:02 |  #1

I have been looking for a decent Jacket/Vest to use when out & about photographing wildlife/birds etc.

The best I have found, is the Stealth Gear Exteme series, but sadly no longer produced.

Anyone got one for sale, or views on what else they would recommend?

Cheers

Glynn

sponsored links
ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 30, 2018 21:25 |  #2

I've never been a fan of photo vests/jackets. They sound good on paper, but I've yet to find one that didn't just feel awkward once you loaded it up (at least with what I would typically take for wildlife). There's also the question of what to do when it's too hot to want to wear the vest/jacket or so cold that you need something heavier. Any vest that fits over my heaviest cold weather gear is going to be way to big to wear on its own in the summer. I prefer to keep my carrying systems independent of my clothing. Dress for the weather first, then select what bags or packs to take based on my immediate needs. I like to use my Gura Gear Bataflae 32 when I'm not traveling far from my vehicle, and when going farther afield I use a Kinesis long lens case with belt and harness (and other lens cases on the belt as needed).

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 30, 2018 23:56 |  #3

I picked up an Orvis insulated canvas jacket at Costco this fall that has two enormous pockets -- big enough to hold a 100-400 in one and 70-200 in the other. It's been working very nicely for me when shooting motorsports.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

PhotosGuy
75,069 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jan 31, 2018 00:03 |  #4

This is what I go to first: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​860413

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,998 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Feb 01, 2018 14:50 |  #5

Domke photo vest. It seemed costly. So I waited a long time. That was about 20 years ago....still looks like new

DaveL

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

cristphoto
849 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Feb 16, 2018 15:45 |  #6

I have no photography specific clothing, but I usually wear a windbreaker or jacket with pockets that zip to safely store lens caps, filters, or small lenses.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Vintage ­ Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2018
France
Feb 17, 2018 11:08 |  #7

Thanks guys. - I have now managed to buy a 'nearly new' Stealth Gear Extreme Jacket with removable sleeves!

What a brilliant piece of kit and really impressed with it (weight does not bother me), so now looking for the matching trousers.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Texas, USA
Feb 17, 2018 12:13 |  #8

Cargo pants. Lots of pockets and comfortable to wear.

sponsored links

385 views & 2 likes for this thread
What Photo Jackets/Clothing do people use?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.