Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 16:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Speaking about older lenses...

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,638 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by RPCrowe. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2018 16:37 |  #1

Well, maybe nobody is speaking of older lenses but, here's some input!

I just received a lens from an old Navy Shipmate who is retiring from the Navy. He knew that I have an especial fondness for Angenieux lenses which I used when I was a Navy cinematographer (12-120mm zoom for Arriflex 16mm cameras and Angenieux primes for my 16mm Bell and Howell Model 70 16mm camera).

We know that the French lens producer, Angenieux, made lenses for still cameras and that they introduced a really nice 28-70mm f/1.6 lens for full frame DSLR cameras. Angenieux could not compete price-wise with the Japanese lens producers and halted production on that lens. The lens design was purchased by Tokina who produced it as the 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro for overseas markets and as the 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro for domestic Japanese consumption.

My friend found one of these f/2.8 ATX Pro lenses on the used market in when his ship called for a port visit in Japan. He purchased it and mailed it to me. When I asked him how much I owed him, he said, "How about a case of beer?"

I am really happy with this lens both on my 5D2 and 6D2 cameras. It is lighter than the Mark-I version of the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark-I and right about the same weight as the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark-II.

This is a really nice lens and produces far better image quality than the Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 SV ATX Pro which replaced it. Tokina had skimped on the SV (Special Value) model to make it cost competitive with other third party Japanese lenses. The cost cutting measures resulted in a lesser image quality than the original 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro.

At first, I was just going to use this lens for nostalgic purposes but, I have been using it more and more recently. Here is some additional information regarding this lens in its different variations...

http://www.johncaz.net ...at-x-pro-af-28-70mm-26-28 (external link)

I have version #3

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 29, 2018 17:18 |  #2

RPCrowe wrote in post #18551945 (external link)
We know that the French lens producer, Angenieux, made lenses for still cameras and that they introduced a really nice 28-70mm f/1.6 lens for full frame DSLR cameras. Angenieux could not compete price-wise with the Japanese lens producers and halted production on that lens.

That would have been such a great lens!

It's really sad that they didn't go through with making that lens. . The world already has plenty of different 24-70mm f2.8 lens models. . A 24-70mm f1.6 would have been something different, and "different" is something that is sorely needed today.

Oh, I know that it would have been heavier and larger than the f2.8 model. . As one who routinely carries around 12 pound, 24" long supertelephotos, I couldn't care less about that. . An extra pound or two really doesn't matter. . At all. . Ever.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,129 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jan 29, 2018 20:10 |  #3

Just to be specific: the literature says the Angenieux lens was 28-70 f2.6 (not 1.6).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

423 views & 2 likes for this thread
Speaking about older lenses...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.