Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 30 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is it safe to purchase used

heat00
284 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 30, 2018 10:03 |  #1

curious, if any of you have purchased a used body and if it's "ok"? I see the 5dIII's on adorama for about 1300 compared to new at 2100 or so... wondering if it's a good option or not.
thanks,

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,992 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2018 10:13 |  #2

I think it's going to be on a case by case basis. Like all used equipment, some is very lightly used and some really beaten up.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,343 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 30, 2018 10:44 |  #3

Used - I've only had a bit of experience. Purchased a 1.4X teleconverter from someone using this site's "for sale" forums, also a 400mm / f5.6 lens from another person the same ways, and it was absolutely fine in both cases.

Refurbished - I've purchased several bodies and lenses from Canon's refurb program and again, no problems whatsoever. I really like the refurb. program.

All New Year, All New Sig !

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 30, 2018 11:18 |  #4

thanks, I was thinking maybe used but from a trusted store/source like adorma....

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Jan 30, 2018 11:31 |  #5

heat00 wrote in post #18552436 (external link)
thanks, I was thinking maybe used but from a trusted store/source like adorma....

I have bought used only twice ... so I am no authority on this. Like you I preferred having the extra security of a reputable store involved in the deal. Both times, everything worked out fine.

In the second case I was looking for a relatively exotic, not easy to find, TS-E lens. The copy I dug up at a very reputable (UK) store was actually a little cheaper than anything I could find at potentially dodgy Ebay dealers in far flung parts of the world. There was an issue, though ... the lens was not ready for delivery but at the workshop being fixed. I made inquiries ... had it explained to me that the work being done was for a (specified) very minor superficial issue that could be restored to 'as new' condition. Trusted the store ... bought the lens ... very happy with it. I'm very glad that the store was protective enough of its own reputation to send the lens to the workshop to be fixed before they released it (and prepared to be up-front about this and to explain exactly what was being done).

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,845 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2018 11:41 |  #6

heat00 wrote in post #18552436 (external link)

Nah .... you won't get as good of a deal.

There is no reason to question or doubt used photography equipment - even gear that has been used HARD.

I've bought almost all of my gear used. . In fact, in over ten years of buying DSLR bodies and lenses, I have only bought one body and one lens new. . And they are the two purchases that I regret. . I wish I had bought that body used instead of new, and I wish I had bought that lens used instead of new. . Why? . Because I would have spent less money for exactly the same thing.

I can't see any reason to pay more for new gear. . The warranty? . Useless, because nothing ever goes wrong with DSLRs or lenses ....... at least in my extensive experience, nothing has ever gone wrong, and I use this stuff REALLY HARD. . A body or lens can be scratched up all over, and scuffed and dinged, and yet it will still perform perfectly and function exactly like a brand new one.

I see buying camera gear the same way I see buying a car or truck. . From a purely "return on investment" basis, it is dumb to buy new because then YOU will be the one who suffers the most depreciation. . And it is dumb to buy from a dealer because you pay more - for the same thing - than you will pay if you buy from a private individual.

If you buy used and wait for a really good price, then you can actually buy a camera (or lens), use it HARD for a year or two, and then sell it for the same price you paid. . You just can't do that when you buy new items - you WILL lose money if you buy new and try to sell used a year or two later.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 30, 2018 18:51 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

thanks for this.. while I agree with many of your points, (even though my car is bought new as finding used ones of my model is hard to find and a bad idea) I would be concerned about buying from a person.... to save how much? let's use the 5dIII that I'm looking at as example:
new is 2200$
used adorama is 1300-1400$
What would it be buying from a private individual? A lot less than 1300$? If so, I guess maybe point me to where I would find this person. I also don't know enough about this equipment to know if the person is hiding a problem or something... whereas from a store even for a few bucks more, there is someone there if a problem arises? Just my thoughts, If I buy a camera from john Smith and it doesn't work, then what? John is no where to be found lol?
not saying I wouldn't do it, just voicing my concerns

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 30, 2018 18:54 |  #8

heat00 wrote in post #18552890 (external link)
thanks for this.. while I agree with many of your points, (even though my car is bought new as finding used ones of my model is hard to find and a bad idea) I would be concerned about buying from a person.... to save how much? let's use the 5dIII that I'm looking at as example:
new is 2200$
used adorama is 1300-1400$
What would it be buying from a private individual? A lot less than 1300$? If so, I guess maybe point me to where I would find this person. I also don't know enough about this equipment to know if the person is hiding a problem or something... whereas from a store even for a few bucks more, there is someone there if a problem arises? Just my thoughts, If I buy a camera from john Smith and it doesn't work, then what? John is no where to be found lol?
not saying I wouldn't do it, just voicing my concerns

exactly

i think adorama has 30 day return policy.

buy from some joe and you probably get nothing.

that said, i have bought used (lenses) from many individuals with no problem.

just weigh the pros and cons.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,845 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2018 19:06 as a reply to  @ heat00's post |  #9

That's one reason to buy from an individual via classified ads here on this forum and on similar forums such as Fred Miranda.

On forums, you can check the seller's feedback and, even more importantly, kind of "get to know" them by reading their post history. . This is a pretty tight community here and many of us have known each other for years and years and years. . We are not about to lose a good reputation among peers by selling a camera with a problem and not disclosing the problem.

If you buy from an individual, you typically get the item for about 20% less than you would pay for the same used item at a dealer.

Dealers typically pay 20% less than the going (used) rate for items when they buy them from individuals, and sell them for 20% more than what most individuals sell them for. . This gives them the margins they need to pay for all of their overhead expenses - the expenses that private individuals do not have.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,577 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2018 22:14 |  #10

IMO, purchasing used can be a great idea, just use good judgment as you would on any other rather large purchase. Many years ago I purchased a Nikon F2 with several lenses for a great price, payed by check and met the seller in person. He showed me photos he had taken and said if I shot a roll of film and didn't like it to return. I used that camera and gear for 5 years and got all my money back. My feeling was that he was honest or would not have invited me to his house and accepted a check.
I purchased a WA lens from a member of this forum at a much lower than new price, but was his final asking price and the deal was flawless. I received the lens in a short time, it was just as he stated it would be and has worked fine. This WA lens is something I wanted to have for some occasions and could not justify buying new.
My most recent large purchase was an open box (Demo) lens from Adorama, the Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport. It was a savings of 900 dollars over a new, unopened lens in a box. It came with everything a new lens would have and upon inspection appeared as new. I've now used it for one year, taken over eight thousand photos of my Grandsons playing high school football, high school and college baseball, capturing hundreds of memories. The lens has worked flawlessly and has been the answer for me shooting in low light at the games. It was an affordable solution for my needs at the time and I've been totally satisfied with my purchase.
I will probably purchase a used or refurbished body in the next year to use on the ball fields to capture my grandsons and their friends.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 31, 2018 08:57 |  #11

All good advice, thank you.
now I just need to finalize the harder part of the decision, 7dII or 5dIII LOL...
I continually struggle with which body to buy and cannot make a decision as both offer some great advantages, for my needs, which is indoor basketball only... and just for myself and my son's team..

HelenOster
That's me!
4,419 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 31, 2018 08:59 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18552892 (external link)
exactly

i think adorama has 30 day return policy.

buy from some joe and you probably get nothing.

that said, i have bought used (lenses) from many individuals with no problem.

just weigh the pros and cons.

We do indeed have a 30-day return policy, and 6-months warranty for lenses rated D E+ E and E-. 3 months warranty on all other lenses except for X.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

pat.kane
598 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 31, 2018 20:37 |  #13

Do due diligence and you shouldn't have any problems buying used.

With that said, things can and do go wrong. The camera could be working fine for the person selling it and it could stop working in a month.

If you paid by PayPal you might be able to get a refund. If you bought it at a great price, even factoring in the cost of the repair you probably still come out ahead.

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars in used gear here, at FredMiranda, on eBay and craigslist. There is no doubt I've come out way ahead by allowing someone else to take that first year of depreciation.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
503 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 02, 2018 10:33 |  #14

Click on my profile and look at my gear list, both currently and previously owned. The only gear on that list that was purchased new was my original DSLR kit (40D, 28-135mm, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro), the 85mm 1.2 that I bought during a major rebate, and my 1DXII.

Everything else was purchased used. The 24-70mm 2.8 II was a refurb, all the rest came from sellers on this forum, FM, or eBay. I only buy from people with at least some sort of history established, but I have had exactly zero problems with anything I have purchased; and that's on literally tens of thousands of dollars of bought and sold equipment.

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 04, 2018 20:43 |  #15

Thanks good to know

sponsored links

2,432 views & 15 likes for this thread
is it safe to purchase used
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.