Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 30 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 13:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 100-400 vs. Sigma 150-600 C for Birding

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 30, 2018 13:28 |  #1

I know this is not a fair comparison, but the reason why I'm inquiring about this is because I sold my 100-400 and am thinking about getting Sigma 150-600 C.

Again, I know it's not a fair comparison, but for those with the experience with both lenses, how does Canon's IQ at 400mm compare to Sigma's IQ at 600mm given similar lighting situation and other conditions being equal? Does Sigma's IQ at 600 suffer noticeably in comparison? I intend to use Sigma more for bird "portraits" as opposed to BIF.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jan 30, 2018 13:43 |  #2

SYS wrote in post #18552581 (external link)
I know this is not a fair comparison, but the reason why I'm inquiring about this is because I sold my 100-400 and am thinking about getting Sigma 150-600 C.

Again, I know it's not a fair comparison, but for those with the experience with both lenses, how does Canon's IQ at 400mm compare to Sigma's IQ at 600mm given similar lighting situation and other conditions being equal? Does Sigma's IQ at 600 suffer noticeably in comparison? I intend to use Sigma more for bird "portraits" as opposed to BIF.

Sigma 150-600 all the way. There's no real appreciable difference in sharpness or anything. You're shooting portraits, the 600mm is going to give you more bang for your buck. Even if you were into BIF, both would be fine (for larger slower things). For zany close range BIF, I'd go with a prime for the edge in AF speed and aperture gains. But for just trying to get an excellent birding lens, the Sigma 150-600 is excellent, as is the Tamron. I'd get either over a Canon 100-400 for this purpose.

I use a 150-600 myself for the slow, big, or close range small bird portraits (song birds, lumbering osprey, etc).
For BIF, I use my 300 F4L IS and just apply a TC as needed, and I'm always very close to the subject (mostly fast shoreline birds like terns and smaller species).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 30, 2018 13:49 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18552614 (external link)
Sigma 150-600 all the way. There's no real appreciable difference in sharpness or anything. You're shooting portraits, the 600mm is going to give you more bang for your buck. Even if you were into BIF, both would be fine (for larger slower things). For zany close range BIF, I'd go with a prime for the edge in AF speed and aperture gains. But for just trying to get an excellent birding lens, the Sigma 150-600 is excellent, as is the Tamron. I'd get either over a Canon 100-400 for this purpose.

I use a 150-600 myself for the slow, big, or close range small bird portraits (song birds, lumbering osprey, etc).
For BIF, I use my 300 F4L IS and just apply a TC as needed, and I'm always very close to the subject (mostly fast shoreline birds like terns and smaller species).

Very best,

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I need. Adorama currently offers the Sigma lens with the USB Dock thrown in for free, but they're out of stock, so I'll have to wait a bit.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

271 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon 100-400 vs. Sigma 150-600 C for Birding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.