Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 31 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 19:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon Telephoto Fixed Lens

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
mars
Jan 31, 2018 19:40 |  #1
banned

anyone heard of any new telephoto fixed lens coming out this year? Like the 600mm IS or 800mm IS

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 03, 2018 10:38 |  #2

thinkharder wrote in post #18553691 (external link)
anyone heard of any new telephoto fixed lens coming out this year? Like the 600mm IS or 800mm IS

I haven't heard of anything. . I don't think a new telephoto prime would make any sense.

All of the Canon long prime lineup is relative new, except for the 400mm f5.6. . But the 400mm f5.6 has been kinda replaced by the new 100-400mm zoom. . I mean, with that zoom being so good and so sharp at 400mm and so fast to focus, and with such great 4 stop Image Stabilization, and such a close Minimum Focus Distance, what advantage would there be to a 400 f5.6 prime, other than a wee bit of weight savings? . Are there many people who would buy a not-at-all-versatile lens over an extremely versatile zoom just to save a pound of weight? . I don't think so. . A pound really doesn't make any difference in real-world use.

I am curious to know, what exactly are you looking for in a new telephoto prime? . Aren't the current lenses in this category completely sufficient for you? . I mean, with them all being such new designs, what do you think we could possibly gain from an update to any of the big whites? . We have a new 300mm, a new 500mm, a new 600mm, a modern (if not newer) 800mm, and a new 400mm D.O. . And as I already mentioned, the 100-400 zoom acts as a new replacement for the 400 f5.6.

So what does that leave? . Nothing. . I just don't understand what lens would need to be updated.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 03, 2018 12:06 |  #3

That may have come about from some patent filings by Canon. Details, admittedly very limited, can be found at https://www.canonrumor​s.co ...me-lenses-coming-in-2018/ (external link).

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
mars
Feb 03, 2018 12:07 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #4
banned

Thanks for your input. I'm in a market for the 600mm or 800mm being comparing the 2 lens and browse through the forum
on lens sample section. So the weights of the lens is no issued for me I'm 52 and active in Kungfu , Judo , Aikido and work out with weight. For me I want a longer range that can take sport, air show , zoo animals and capture the hawks in my back yard. I had the 400mm f5.6 I sold that on craiglist for 900.00 in feb 2017. I had my extender III on it but didn't like that lens.

So I think the 600mm IS version II is good for me I think. I also read through the reviews on version I and look through the sample images.
the images taken by other look very sharp and awesome and it just a weight issued. but some said version II focus faster for sports.

Didn't want to buy a $10,000.00 -$12,000.00 lens if canon coming out with anything new.
I rather paid 2,000.00-3,000.00 more extra for the latest version.

I see a 600mm version II on Ebay for 8,900.00 he brought it in 2012 trying to get him to send me a photo of the date code of his lens with a sticky note with his Ebay ID and date on it to see if he really has the lens.

I can deal with trusted online store and craiglist. but not comfortable with Ebay.

So far I have seen price from Ebay and craiglist that are sold already under these prices.
Used lens very good condition.

Canon 600mm f4.5 IS version I - 3,700.00
Canon 800mm f5.6 IS - 7,000.00
Canon 400mm f2.8 IS II - 8,000.00
Canon 500mm f4.5 IS - 3,000.00
Canon 400mm f2.8 IS - 4,000.00
Canon 50mm f1.2 IS - 600.00 - I brought this in dec last year from craiglist and it was like new. it has the date code : UE0820

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Feb 03, 2018 20:48 |  #5

thinkharder wrote in post #18553691 (external link)

There is talk of a 600 F4 DO in a number of places.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

293 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon Telephoto Fixed Lens
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.