Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 04:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is there a section for film shooters?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 04:22 |  #1

If there is, help me out, please. I can't seem to find it.

Tom

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,709 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Feb 01, 2018 04:35 |  #2

Since the headline is "Digital Photography Forums", I would be surprised if here is any.
But if it's camera related, Canon's EOS cameras have many similarities, regardless of how the images are stored.
And if it's related to the film only, you don't need to go to a specific camera forum.

Anders

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 05:00 |  #3

Thanks. I'm just interested in opinions on paying a developer to scan versus doing it myself. Quality, cost and related factors. What is a decent film scanner? Flatbed or dedicated 35mm? Scan prints or negatives? What if I want to scan some 4"x6" prints. That kind of stuff.

Tom

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,709 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Feb 01, 2018 05:17 |  #4

Well, that's kind of borderline between film and digital. Try asking in the postprocessing forum, perhaps. That's what I would do, if I had to ask the question here.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 01, 2018 06:51 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18553903 (external link)
Thanks. I'm just interested in opinions on paying a developer to scan versus doing it myself. Quality, cost and related factors. What is a decent film scanner? Flatbed or dedicated 35mm? Scan prints or negatives? What if I want to scan some 4"x6" prints. That kind of stuff.

You might want to check the B&H scanner guide at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...uying-guide/film-scanners (external link). I personally bought an Epson V700 scanner but found it to be slow for print scanning. However, I was primarily scanning slides, which it would do 12 at a time so it wasn't too bad for my specific purposes. When I was done I sold the unit on eBay and got almost what I paid. In that regard Epson has a refurb store and the stuff is top quality. There are some cheaper models and primarily they get you a smaller scan bed so you do less slides negatives in a batch.

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 01, 2018 07:07 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #6

I shoot film(as well as digital) and own an Epson V600(absolutely love it) scanner. I have the rolls developed but don't have the images printed. I scan them to my computer for editing. I'm able to scan 35mm and medium format film up to 6x22cm.

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 07:14 |  #7

photosbytw wrote in post #18553937 (external link)
I shoot film(as well as digital) and own an Epson V600(absolutely love it) scanner. I have the rolls developed but don't have the images printed. I scan them to my computer for editing. I'm able to scan 35mm and medium format film up to 6x22cm.

How much work is involved in turning a negative scan into useable image?

Tom

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 07:29 |  #8

I'm not sure I want to get into scanning negatives and dealing with the extra PP involved. That is my prime motivation for paying the developer for scan. I can use the flatbed I already own (HP Envy 5660) to scan prints. I've been messing with it a bit and 600 dpi seems about right. But the IQ varies A LOT, depending on the photo I am scanning. I'm just going to mess around for a while, trying different stuff to see what I like. The last time I shot film was back in the Stone Age (2008?), when you could drop off film and CVS, do some shopping and pick up your prints before you went home (and they gave you the negatives!). TheDarkRoom.com will return my negatives. That is a good reason to start with them.

Tom

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 01, 2018 07:36 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18553939 (external link)
How much work is involved in turning a negative scan into useable image?

Usually no more than shooting digitally as long as you "get it right" when shooting. That said, I shoot exclusively B&W film, tho I also scan old 35mm color slides which entail additional editing as they tend to have scratches, dirt, mold and other blemishes that need attention. There is software (Digital ICE) included to limit or remove scratches and dirt.........but it's not perfect.

tw

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 07:42 |  #10

photosbytw wrote in post #18553946 (external link)
Usually no more than shooting digitally as long as you "get it right" when shooting. That said, I shoot exclusively B&W film, tho I also scan old 35mm color slides which entail additional editing as they tend to have scratches, dirt, mold and other blemishes that need attention. There is software (Digital ICE) included to limit or remove scratches and dirt.........but it's not perfect.

B&W and slides do not have the orange cast of color negative film. THAT has got to be a hurdle!

Tom

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Feb 01, 2018 07:43 |  #11

Try this:

http://photography-on-the.net ...hread.php?t=727911&​page=1

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,207 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2018 07:46 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #12

Thanks. I'll search that thread. Gotta be some relevant stuff in 300+ pages!

Tom

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 01, 2018 07:46 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18553945 (external link)
I'm not sure I want to get into scanning negatives and dealing with the extra PP involved. That is my prime motivation for paying the developer for scan. I can use the flatbed I already own (HP Envy 5660) to scan prints. I've been messing with it a bit and 600 dpi seems about right. But the IQ varies A LOT, depending on the photo I am scanning. I'm just going to mess around for a while, trying different stuff to see what I like. The last time I shot film was back in the Stone Age (2008?), when you could drop off film and CVS, do some shopping and pick up your prints before you went home (and they gave you the negatives!). TheDarkRoom.com will return my negatives. That is a good reason to start with them.

I understand but I find that there is consistency when you have someone else develop your film which is why photographers did/do developed their own film. PP is is not time consuming for me as I just tweek the exposure and do a little D&B............and if necessary, I can batch process the images.

tw

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Post has been edited 18 days ago by photosbytw.
Feb 01, 2018 07:49 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18553948 (external link)
B&W and slides do not have the orange cast of color negative film. THAT has got to be a hurdle!

Ahh............I don't shoot color..............I have never liked it and it doesn't age well...........oops, I'm referring to film that is.

tw

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 18 days ago by John from PA.
Feb 01, 2018 08:08 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18553948 (external link)

Actually 35mm negative has five color layers that are basically blue, yellow, green, magenta and red and it may vary a bit based on manufacturer. I recall that Fuji film tended to emphasize green so I used it for landscape work. It was said (tongue in cheek) that you could remember that because the box was green vs. Kodak boxes that were usually red and used more for portraits.

Anyway, better scanners include software that automatically remove the orange mask. It isn't the best software but can be upgraded sometimes for a minimal fee. There are even some 3rd party scanning software packages where you tell it the type of film and an embedded profile does the correction.

sponsored links

2,108 views & 10 likes for this thread
Is there a section for film shooters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.