Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM advice sought

Charlie ­ Victor
115 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Charlie Victor.

Feb 01, 2018 10:31 |  #1

Having gone from a cropped sensor to 5D IV full frame I wish to replace my trusty 50mm 1.4 with an 85mm 1.4. Primary usage will remain studio, with secondary usage theatrical photography -
the same as before.

The choice has come down to the Sigma ART and the new Canon equivalent. With both having superb optical performance, my natural preference is the Canon - both for future-proofing and to gain 4 stop image stabilisation.

My challenge is the price; I can buy the Sigma from a grey market source that I trust for £750 whereas I can only find the Canon for £1,300+. The £550+ difference is an awful lot for the two additional benefits I seek and I cannot justify it.

Comments, please from anyone with experience of both or either lens? Sigma today or hold out until the Canon reaches reputable grey market sources and dips below £1,000 - the maximum price I am prepared to pay?

Cheers,
CV

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,726 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2018 12:15 |  #2

you can't go wrong with the sigma unless it has issues. can you get gray market lens serviced if you get a dud? I know I would justify the price of the Canon, which looks mighty spectacular according to my friend Bryan https://www.the-digital-picture.com …m-f-1.4L-IS-USM-Lens.aspx (external link).

The canon would be a purchase for the next 10 years and you know compatibility with all EOS DLSRs won't ever be an issue.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 01, 2018 12:28 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #3

Thanks, Ed - and yes, exactly; this is precisely what was behind the future proofing comment in my original post. Regarding grey market (Sigma or Canon) I take my chance; I have purchased most of my more expensive kit this way over the years and not gone wrong yet - so if I do get a dud I can console myself I am still quids in overall! My Sigma 50 1.4 was a grey import that front focused when new but Sigma UK sorted it out without quibble for me which I thought to be excellent service (even though I would have preferred it to be Right First Time!)

Back to my decision: £1,300+ (circa US$1,900+) is still an awful lot of money even though the lens will pay for itself. At the moment I am firmly in the "wait until the Canon price drops" camp since I have a lot of travel coming up and my next studio commission is going to be just after Easter, but through my post I seek reassurance that this is wise in case it turns out I need to act sooner.

For the record I prefer not to buy secondhand.

Cheers,
CV

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 01, 2018 12:55 |  #4

Ed - Tell Bryan he sold me. Canon it is and to hell with the price!

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 01, 2018 12:56 |  #5

ed rader wrote in post #18554110 (external link)
can you get gray market lens serviced if you get a dud?

All reports suggest that Canon UK will service grey market items in the same way that it will service any other item. What it will not do is honour warranty terms for equipment that is not purchased through an authorised UK/EU canon dealer ... quite reasonably. You will pay the full price of repairs irrespective of the age of the item.

But the better grey market importers offer substitute warranties of their own. Again, according to all available reports, these better grey market importers also honour their own warranties. As I understand things, the buyer sends the item to Canon UK and pays the repair cost. The grey market importer then pays up against the buyer's receipt. If the item cannot be repaired, the grey market retailer will replace it.

Of course, there's an element of risk in relying on a relatively small retailer rather than on Canon for your warranty. That has to be traded against the cost saving that you are able to make.

Anyway ... as the OP notes, it's all rather academic at the moment because the grey market retailers do not currently hold any stock. My assumption is that Canon knows exactly how these companies work and finds them a useful additional channel to market. But they will only release stock to them once the early adopter purchasers (paying the full launch price) are out of the way. Based on my own experience, the grey importers own prices also start 'high' (although at a sizeable discount to full price) but then drift downwards. You will get a significantly better price if you can wait five or six months from the time when they first stock an item before you order from them.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,726 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2018 14:34 as a reply to  @ Charlie Victor's post |  #6

I will :-P I buy gray market and used too. I bought my 80d for $799 off of ebay awhile back for example.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,457 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 02, 2018 23:10 |  #7

SO I own the Canon version. And here's why:

I went to the local camera store to check out the Sigma 85. First one was decent, not great. The next 2 were horrible. We (store owner and I) tried high shutter speeds, We tried high ISOs, We tried it tripod mounted, We tried OCF, We tried Live View. Under no circumstances could we get either lens to produce a shot that had anything in focus. We put the first back on and it exhibited similar behavior. Put the Canon on and it was spot on from the get go.

The Sigmas were pulled from stock and returned as defective.

Not saying all Sigmas are that way, especially given the performance of my 35Art, but that ended Sigma being considered for me in the 85 range.

Was it it worth the premium I paid? Yes. Did I get IS too? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes.

No amount of savings is worth purchasing a lens that can't function right out of the box. Needing a little adjustment is one thing, but not focusing on anything isn't.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links

888 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM advice sought
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.