Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio equipment purchase suggestions

mihaikolf
28 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mihaikolf.

Feb 01, 2018 16:15 |  #1

Hello everyone,

I am planning to open a studio for commercial photography, product, portrait, advertising etc. and i need to buy the light setup and other accessories. I have a budget of 20 000 euros for this (this budget does not include the camera system).

I thought to include the godox strobes , ad600 pro (will 4 of those suffice ? ) light modifiers such as strip-boxes (2) rectangular big softboxes (2) , parabolic octagonal softboxes (one huge and one smaller), c-stands, mini stands, boom arms, a background system (with paper rolls or muslin) and a studio camera stand (not foba but the ones from manfrotto)

As i don t have much experience working in a studio , do you have any other suggestions about what might be needed ? What will you buy with 20 k for studio work ?

Thank you for your answers, all the best !

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,780 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Feb 01, 2018 18:16 |  #2

Not the answer you looking for but personally I would get some experience working in the studio before opening one up for business. Photography business is not easy now a days.

Equipment wise, I would buy which is easier to service in your country. And something that you can rent easily if and when needed.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 01, 2018 18:21 |  #3

bobbyz wrote in post #18554302 (external link)
Equipment wise, I would buy which is easier to service in your country. And something that you can rent easily if and when needed.

^^
Godox equipment has no service support...the manufacturer's web site has a few technical Q&A, but no references to any repair service nor way to obtain spare parts
So when something wears out or breaks, you simply throw it away and buy a new one.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
815 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Angmo.

Feb 01, 2018 23:05 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #18554307 (external link)
^^
Godox equipment has no service support...the manufacturer's web site has a few technical Q&A, but no references to any repair service nor way to obtain spare parts
So when something wears out or breaks, you simply throw it away and buy a new one.

... and buy spares ahead of time.

Do you have a business plan, likely clients, other income while you build your book of business..?

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

mihaikolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 03, 2018 06:26 |  #5

Thank you for your feedback

I have a business plan and this will not be my main income source as I have other projects too. I will start slow , doing work for my own projects at first and then will start working with clients.

Quick question : c stands or rollers ? :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,234 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 07:49 |  #6

C stands if the space is tight, rollers otherwise. C stands are not made for booms, and are only barely stable enough for grip arms and light, er, lights.

Two things. I always hated dealing with cabling. Battery powered strobes, mono heads or external batteries that are small enough to hang from the stand are awesome. A real camera stand, not a tripod, a steel base with a geared stand on a long pole is an awesome way to shoot.

I would buy the bare minimum and get going first. You will find all kinds of crap you need that you never even considered.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
242 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 3 months ago by soeren. (4 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 07:56 |  #7

mihaikolf wrote in post #18554243 (external link)
Hello everyone,

I am planning to open a studio for commercial photography, product, portrait, advertising etc. and i need to buy the light setup and other accessories. I have a budget of 20 000 euros for this (this budget does not include the camera system).

I thought to include the godox strobes , ad600 pro (will 4 of those suffice ? ) light modifiers such as strip-boxes (2) rectangular big softboxes (2) , parabolic octagonal softboxes (one huge and one smaller), c-stands, mini stands, boom arms, a background system (with paper rolls or muslin) and a studio camera stand (not foba but the ones from manfrotto)

As i don t have much experience working in a studio , do you have any other suggestions about what might be needed ? What will you buy with 20 k for studio work ?

Thank you for your answers, all the best !

How about training yourself and gain as much knowledge and routine you can? Then you yourself find out Whats needed at which budget.
If you have to ask for the basic and dont have much studio routine youre not really ready to charge clients, just MHO
The magic bullit is not in what you buy but what you do with it and how.
Asking a what do I need question implies not knowing how to use e.g lights so the question in the first place should not be what do I need......... but rather how do I achieve this or that look

Jotto123
107 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 03, 2018 08:47 |  #8

For the price of godox pros I'd rather look at elinchrom, broncolor and profoto.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

mihaikolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by mihaikolf.

Feb 03, 2018 08:58 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #9

[/QUOTE]

I would buy the bare minimum and get going first. You will find all kinds of crap you need that you never even considered.

[QUOTE]

The crap I never considered is the reason I opened the thread, I guess this is the best advice to buy the minimum and then add.

The thing is I am not new to photography or working with lights , I am new to having a proper studio with proper equipment hence the request for suggestions.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 03, 2018 09:04 as a reply to  @ mihaikolf's post |  #10

The thing is I am not new to photography or working with lights , I am new to having a proper studio with proper equipment hence the request for suggestions.

what lights do you normally work with ?

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

mihaikolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 03, 2018 09:38 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #11

Mainly speedlights from Canon and occasionally rented Hensel monolights

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by rantercsr. (2 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 09:43 |  #12

My opinion...

For someone making a studio for personal projects and hoping to eventually to paid work out of there..

Combine your canon speedlight with an ad600 or 2 .. to begin with
I have several godox/flashpoint lights and havent had any issues .. if you get from adorama theyve got a great return policy.

Go with bare minimum and grow from there as the demand for lights grow
And if things get good you can always upgrade to higher end lights and let the godox be emergency back ups

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,234 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 03, 2018 09:51 |  #13

mihaikolf wrote in post #18555351 (external link)
The crap I never considered is the reason I opened the thread, I guess this is the best advice to buy the minimum and then add.

In the OP you say you want to pursue a lot of different markets. Each of them have different requirements. If you get going it should become apparent which is going to work best. That is why you are seeing the posts about being cautious, and why we can't just say "okay, buy this".

Here is my background holder. This is a 107 inch roll supported on a 4 dollar pole and two dollar fifty hooks. Seven bucks and serves my purposes better than a $300 system.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sincity
153 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 03, 2018 12:46 |  #14

In studio.. I would prefer rolling stands with junior pins ; Baby pins are just as good as long as the load on the end isn't too heavy or difficult to position. Little things like placing power outlets for the flashes up and out of the way is ideal as well. If you are tethering, I would have a cart with the setup you specify so you can move the tethering equipment out of the way at times.

The lighting you specify seems to be OK.. I would try for a lighting solution that has local support from Multiblitz, Elinchrom, Bowens. Even if some companies like Multiblitz is in liquidation, there is still support for parts and service. That is important when you have clients wanting you to meet a deadline.

I have one 15 year old Elinchrom pack/head system, and it isn't a problem getting it serviced. Studio technology moves a little slower compared to run-N-gun photography where you have to capture things right now.. In a studio, you have more leeway to create some magic. Take some time and shoot your client often and in different ways to give your client options from gelled light and smoke effects to Fresnel lighting and gridded soft boxes.

I would echo previous people response and rent equipment at first.. Find out what works before putting down hard earned money.. Don't be afraid of pre-owned studio equipment with...

Alveric
Goldmember
4,416 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Alveric.

Feb 03, 2018 12:59 |  #15

I'd stick with Hensel. That's all I use, aside from the odd, not-for-profit shot I light with my Canon EX430-II. I focus on business portraiture, architecture, and commercial/product.

I work with three Integra 500 units. Started with two, but a third is definitely required. Three will suit most of your needs. Then it's all about modifiers, some of which are as simple as sheets of foamcore.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

1,899 views & 12 likes for this thread
Studio equipment purchase suggestions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.