Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 18:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fujifilm X-A5

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 01, 2018 18:05 |  #1

They have announced a new compact camera that takes interchangeable lenses. I'm not sure who would buy this camera. I've heard compact cameras are dead, killed by cell phone cameras. (The 100F and the X70 being the exceptions) It's a cute little camera but I don't understand the marketing idea behind it. What do you think?

kkerry.photo
229 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by kkerry.photo.

Feb 02, 2018 03:06 |  #2

I've had and used a bunch of Fuji mirrorless cameras in the last 2 years, they do produce some excellent photos even with the 'cheap' 16-50mm kit lens.
The X-A5 seems to be released with a new power zoom lens aswell, which if I remember rightly, most PZ lenses are usually optically pretty poor.

In using the X-M1, X-A2 and recently testing the X-A10 in a local store - AF is pretty slow compared to the competition nowadays, even the EOS M line of cameras are much quicker now. Also there is plenty of shutter lag and just general slowness of operation with most of the entry level Fuji cameras.

If you move up to the slightly more expensive XT & XE line of cameras that the AF and general speed is much better.

My biggest gripe with Fuji cameras are the lens selection and lens pricing, they are optical amazing pieces of kit but the price compared to the majority of competition is just too much.

The X-A5 is meant to have the 24mp sensor and new AF system. It's not the same 24mp X-Trans sensor as the higher up cameras mind you.

Like you say, the X-A range for me is pointless. The target audience that buys one won't be able to afford any other lenses, and with no EVF amateur photographer probably wont buy one. Maybe someone who shoots Fuji already and has a selection of lenses would purchase one as back up or for there other halves.

EDIT: For me, my Google Pixel 2 shoots excellent photos and it's with me all the time, so the majority of people do not really need this type of camera.

The Gear: Canon 60D
Canon 'Nifty Fity' 50mm f1.8 II
Canon 10-18mm f4-5.6 IS STM
Canon 70-200mm f4L USM
Canon 35mm f2.8 IS STM Macro

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,261 posts
Gallery: 252 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 04, 2018 17:10 |  #3

Rainyday wrote in post #18554299 (external link)
They have announced a new compact camera that takes interchangeable lenses. I'm not sure who would buy this camera. I've heard compact cameras are dead, killed by cell phone cameras. (The 100F and the X70 being the exceptions) It's a cute little camera but I don't understand the marketing idea behind it. What do you think?

The term compact camera as you are using it describes small sensor cameras, point and shoots etc...
The Fuji A-5 has the same sized sensor [ASP-c] as the X-T2 and all the other X cameras. Just this one has not got the X-Trans colour set up of the chip. Probably aimed at a someone who wants a good beginner camera at a good price over a point and shoot or phone.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,119 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by EverydayGetaway.

Feb 05, 2018 09:37 |  #4

kkerry.photo wrote in post #18554508 (external link)
I've had and used a bunch of Fuji mirrorless cameras in the last 2 years, they do produce some excellent photos even with the 'cheap' 16-50mm kit lens.
The X-A5 seems to be released with a new power zoom lens aswell, which if I remember rightly, most PZ lenses are usually optically pretty poor.

In using the X-M1, X-A2 and recently testing the X-A10 in a local store - AF is pretty slow compared to the competition nowadays, even the EOS M line of cameras are much quicker now. Also there is plenty of shutter lag and just general slowness of operation with most of the entry level Fuji cameras.

If you move up to the slightly more expensive XT & XE line of cameras that the AF and general speed is much better.

My biggest gripe with Fuji cameras are the lens selection and lens pricing, they are optical amazing pieces of kit but the price compared to the majority of competition is just too much.

The X-A5 is meant to have the 24mp sensor and new AF system. It's not the same 24mp X-Trans sensor as the higher up cameras mind you.

Like you say, the X-A range for me is pointless. The target audience that buys one won't be able to afford any other lenses, and with no EVF amateur photographer probably wont buy one. Maybe someone who shoots Fuji already and has a selection of lenses would purchase one as back up or for there other halves.

EDIT: For me, my Google Pixel 2 shoots excellent photos and it's with me all the time, so the majority of people do not really need this type of camera.

It's aimed at the type of people who won't need anything beyond the XC lens lineup, those lenses are comparably priced to other brands versions while being arguably optically superior.

Fuji's glass is more expensive because it's higher quality... it's really that simple. Higher quality glass for other companies cost more than their lower end glass too.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

592 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fujifilm X-A5
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.