Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 19:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is this world coming too? No more F1 Grid Girls ?

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Feb 06, 2018 12:48 |  #31

This isn't about opening the market to new customers, this is all part of the hair shirt wearing hand wringing Weinstein backlash, it's everywhere, some justified, some clearly over the top....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 13 days ago by DaviSto.
Feb 06, 2018 12:52 as a reply to post 18557777 |  #32

Well ... it's an interesting theory ... but it isn't going to happen is it? Recognising people who are different (different gender, race, religion, nationality, etc., etc.) are of equal merit doesn't require pretending that we are all the same. What a horrible world we would create.

And there isn't any intrinsic merit in having more female racing drivers, either ... no more than there is in increasing the male audience for TV soap operas.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 06, 2018 12:53 |  #33

Choderboy wrote in post #18557777 (external link)
"How is removing opportunities for women a step in the right direction?"

The concept, which is is very easy to find with a bit of Googling, is that removing the "grid girls" will open up opportunities for women to participate.

I know the concept, but it is illogical.

The other women are already able to participate. . What opportunities are currently closed to women? . None. . Right?

The only discrimination that I see here is discrimination against men, because the grid girl jobs are currently only available to women. . That is discriminating on the basis of sex, which is supposed to be a bad thing, according to the modern political correctness viewpoint.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

GibJock
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Feb 06, 2018 13:07 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #34

They want more women drivers in F1, Jackie Stewart has a good opinion on it .... Baloney (external link)

flickr (external link)

Coimbra
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Coimbra.
Feb 06, 2018 14:51 |  #35

I don't see women racing alongside men in F1 anytime soon. Is there actually any sports where men and women are competing against each other? Now I don't know how physical F1 is these days, but it'd probably be unfair for the women having to race against the men. In all other sports (that I can think of) the best male athletes are capable of better performances than the best female athletes. It's just the way the human body works, and there's nothing wrong with that. It'd make much more sense to have a men's and a women's race each F1 weekend.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Feb 06, 2018 14:55 |  #36

Coimbra wrote in post #18557909 (external link)
Is there actually any sports where men and women are competing against each other?

Tennis - Mixed Doubles.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 13 days ago by DaviSto.
Feb 06, 2018 15:00 |  #37

I don't see women racing alongside men in F1 anytime soon. Is there actually any sports where men and women are competing against each other? Now I don't know how physical F1 is these days, but it'd probably be unfair for the women having to race against the men. In all other sports (that I can think of) the best male athletes are capable of better performances than the best female athletes. It's just the way the human body works, and there's nothing wrong with that. It'd make much more sense to have a men's and a women's race each F1 weekend.

Isn't target shooting a mixed sex sport? It's the kind of sport where you would feel physical differences would count for little in terms of competitive advantage.

I'd like to see women and men compete together in synchronised swimming. There could be nothing more hilarious. I'm not sure that my health could withstand it ... but it would be well worth taking the risk.

David.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Feb 06, 2018 15:04 |  #38

....... Is there actually any sports where men and women are competing against each other?..........

There are professional female race car drivers and motorcycle racers. The few women who have made a successful go at racing do tend to have more success in cars than on bikes however. Technically, depending on your politics, it could be said that there are several "mixed" sports right now with the introduction of trans women into regular women's competition. :oops:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Feb 06, 2018 15:04 |  #39

john crossley wrote in post #18557911 (external link)
Tennis - Mixed Doubles.

That would only count if you could choose the composition of your team ... for example if two women might choose to play against any feasible two-person combination of genders on the other side of the net. In fact, mixed doubles is strictly a man and a woman competing against another man and another woman.

David.

Coimbra
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 06, 2018 15:06 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #40

You're technically right, but each team has the same "gender balance" or however you can put it. Sure, there's a man playing against a woman, but at the same time there's a woman playing against a man, so they sort of cancel each other out.

Vintage ­ Racer
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2018
France
Feb 06, 2018 15:11 |  #41

Can we please stop discussing this issue and get back to ogling some decent looking women? :mrgreen:

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Feb 06, 2018 15:13 |  #42

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18557917 (external link)
There are professional female race car drivers and motorcycle racers. The few women who have made a successful go at racing do tend to have more success in cars than on bikes however. Technically, depending on your politics, it could be said that there are several "mixed" sports right now with the introduction of trans women into regular women's competition. :oops:

Yes ... we know the world has gone mad. (No...stark raving bonkers!!!)

I don't believe that it is remotely fair or sporting for somebody with a man's DNA to compete with someone with a woman's DNA in any sport where basic physicality is important ... but I am so far behind the curve, I know my opinions really just don't count for sh*t any more.

I am more than happy that any 'male' sport should be opened up to women competing on merit. I think that's officially the position with horse-racing in the UK. But there are still very few female jockeys despite the natural physical advantage that women have in terms of healthily achievable body-weight.

David.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Feb 06, 2018 15:22 |  #43

Vintage Racer wrote in post #18557923 (external link)
Can we please stop discussing this issue and get back to ogling some decent looking women? :mrgreen:

As long as you aren't expecting to oggle while watching F1! :oops::cry::-P Oh well, MotoGP still has Umbrella Girls and the racing is better anyway.  :p

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

henry ­ albert
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 06, 2018 16:35 |  #44

Well, this thread seems to have understeered into the weeds.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Feb 12, 2018 11:15 |  #45

IT has happened in the IMSA races too...this past year at Petit, there were a number of the regulars that were not there...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,218 views & 26 likes for this thread
What is this world coming too? No more F1 Grid Girls ?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.