Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2018 (Friday) 19:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best specialty + street + landscape lens

kris142
997 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 02, 2018 19:26 |  #1

I'm making a return to photography, currently in the market for a D750 and looking for a lens to pair it with. I want to get into landscapes and street photography, however my main subject will be documenting life as a Coast Guard Search and Rescue flight mechanic and hoist operator, as well as aviation maintenance technician on the ground. I think I could provide a unique perspective into the world of aviation, Search and Rescue, flight ops, and coast guard life. With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of having a prime as my only lens and I really enjoy having shallow DOF. Many seem to enjoy the versatility of (your brand here) 24-70mm lenses, however I dont feel it would get quite the feel I'm going for. I would like a 16-35 but I dont want to be trapped in that short focal range. What kind of other suggestions do you guys have? I'm open to Nikkor or third party lenses. I know my preferences really narrow down my options to basically nothing which is why I'm seeking advice. I am also fully aware that I may have to settle for one end of the spectrum and save up for another lens for use on the other end of things. If that is the case, which lenses would you recommend?

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,615 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 03, 2018 17:14 |  #2

It does sound like you want the impossible (to purchase).

You could maybe get away with a narrow zoom range by compensating with pixel density (e.g. D810 or D850) and cropping. Nikon's 16-35 is only a f/4.0 for what it's worth - you'd be looking at the 17-35 for f/2.8. And if you thought that range was small, there's the Sigma 24-35 but at least it's a f/2.0. Also bear in mind that the wider the zoom range and wider the max aperture, the lens will be getting bigger and heavier which may impinge on your shooting and/or your work. As you mention at the end, you'll need to compromise

I'd be inclined in your position to try a 35mm (Sigma's 35 Art is the best IQ in F mount IMO but Nikon's 35/1.4G and 35/1.8G FX are both very, very good) but then 35mm is my preferred focal length if I want to shoot simply without thinking about changing zoom.

For versatility and shallow depth of field a left-of-field option might be a couple of DX bodies, one with a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and the other with a Sigma 50-100 f/1.8.

Gear List

AZ ­ Pix
555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2018 15:07 |  #3

If F4 is good enough, the 24-120 VR is really a very good lens. I ran it on a D610 for a while and it did a fine job. After all, you're not talking about conducting portrait sessions, you want to document your world. This zoom will do it, and especially in an environment were you might not have time to move and shoot. I shoot the 16-35 on a D750 and it's a good lens, but it has much more distortion on a full frame. If you have to quickly zoom out wide for a shot with people in it and you're not careful, you'll load the pic to your computer and be disappointed by the distorted faces at the edges of the scene.The 28mm 1.8G will do all you desire. It's sharp as can be wide open on my D750 and gets that "feel" if you're good at sticking your nose into scenes. But...you're stuck at 28mm. If none of these appeal to you for one reason or another, I think a 24-70 2.8 is probably the lens.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

265 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best specialty + street + landscape lens
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.