Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2018 (Friday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Gotta Hand it to Pekka

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,689 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by MDJAK. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2018 20:10 |  #1

I’ve been around this forum for a long time. Heck, I outlasted Jon, my nemesis. He stalked me incessantly. But I must say when I met him and Suzy and Jim in DC, Jon was very friendly and he showed me and taught me a lot about filters. Suzy and Jim were also great folks.

When Pekka wrote his own program and the forum layout, etc. changed rather dramatically what now is many years ago, I, being someone who isn’t thrilled with change, especially to something I held near and dear, having met many friends here, decided it wasn’t for me any longer and went elsewhere.

I eventually found my way back and began to not only get used to it, with one exception, but now very much appreciate and enjoy many of the excellent features it has.

As to the one exception above, I’m hoping that has been changed and I just don’t know how, or that it will be changed. What do I speak of? I like to revisit threads, often times more than once, especially if it has an opening pic I really like. What happens is the thread opens and it instantly goes to the end, either of the first page, or the end of the thread, I’m not sure which. That drives me nuts. In the old days you open a thread and it opened to the top, the beginning. Is that possible through a setting? If not, it needs doing.

Another suggestion I have is a filter in the sell forum. Currently I’m shooting Nikon. I have no interest in Canon or Sony at the moment. FM, which is antique software in comparison, has a useful if not always accurate filter at the top of page one of the classified forum where you can select wtb or sell, and then pick the brand you are interested in.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,256 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 02, 2018 21:59 |  #2

MDJAK wrote in post #18555100 (external link)
I like to revisit threads, often times more than once, especially if it has an opening pic I really like. What happens is the thread opens and it instantly goes to the end, either of the first page, or the end of the thread, I’m not sure which. That drives me nuts. In the old days you open a thread and it opened to the top, the beginning. Is that possible through a setting? If not, it needs doing.

1. If you access a thread from the "New Posts" page, & click on the page # right after the title, it will take you to the top of that page.
  2. If you click in the "Last Post" column, guess what?
  3. If you click in the pink "Notification:" threads, it will take you to the last post that you viewed.
  4. If none of these suit you, then copy the post # that you want to access to Notepad, & use that to goto the location that you want.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,689 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 03, 2018 06:58 |  #3

Thank you. But that’s only helpful if a thread has more than one page. I believe. If a thread is one page and you click on it, it takes you to the bottom of the thread, not the first picture posted by the OP as it used to. I will stand corrected if I am wrong but I don’t believe I am. And in GN, most just hit the like button and don’t take time to comment. I’m guilty of that. So 90 percent or more threads there are only one page.

Pippan
886 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 03, 2018 07:31 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #4

Takes me to the top of the page if I haven't opened it before.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,657 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 03, 2018 07:46 |  #5

Go to FYEO (For Your Eyes Only - top left of the page) and find Thread Click Link. Set your preference there.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,689 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 03, 2018 11:11 |  #6

Pippan wrote in post #18555316 (external link)
Takes me to the top of the page if I haven't opened it before.

Exactly my point. But if you have opened it before, it will take you to the end of the page.

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,689 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 03, 2018 11:13 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18555322 (external link)
Go to FYEO (For Your Eyes Only - top left of the page) and find Thread Click Link. Set your preference there.

Viola!!! That was the answer I was both looking for and hoped existed. Thank you.

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
6,385 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 03, 2018 12:28 |  #8

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18555322 (external link)

When I go there, and click on "FIRST NEW POST IN THREAD" nothing happens. No changes are made.

There is nothing else to click on to make any changes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2018 12:46 |  #9

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18555538 (external link)
When I go there, and click on "FIRST NEW POST IN THREAD" nothing happens. No changes are made.

Of course not - because "FIRST POST IN NEW THREAD" is the default. . It has already been working this way for you - it was already selected - hence no change when you click it.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Inspeqtor in
./showthread.php?p=185​55538&i=i189908249
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

Oh yes there is.

Right next to "FIRST POST IN NEW THREAD", you will see "PAGE 1 OF THREAD". . Once you click on it, it will look like this: "PAGE 1 OF THREAD".

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

That is what you should have clicked on.

Once you click that, then things will change and you will go straightway to the top of the first page when you click on a thread title.

I just tested it out and it works just like it should.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,542 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 03, 2018 13:07 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18555552 (external link)
Right next to "FIRST POST IN NEW THREAD", you will see "PAGE 1 OF THREAD". . Once you click on it, it will look like this: "PAGE 1 OF THREAD".

That baffled me at first, too, until I realized that the colors were reversed. Usually, if text on a page is black, a link that you click to go elsewhere or change something is a different color. In this case, the link for making a change is black, and the link for doing nothing is purple and can't be activated.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
6,385 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 03, 2018 15:22 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18555552 (external link)
Of course not - because "FIRST POST IN NEW THREAD" is the default. . It has already been working this way for you - it was already selected - hence no change when you click it.

Oh yes there is.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=185​55552&i=i12820182
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

Once you click that, then things will change and you will go straightway to the top of the first page when you click on a thread title.

I just tested it out and it works just like it should.

OhLook wrote in post #18555566 (external link)
That baffled me at first, too, until I realized that the colors were reversed. Usually, if text on a page is black, a link that you click to go elsewhere or change something is a different color. In this case, the link for making a change is black, and the link for doing nothing is purple and can't be activated.

I thank you both for this help!

I was "assuming" that the black text was not clickable.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,622 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by rrblint.

Feb 03, 2018 20:10 |  #12

Purple=active choice.

Black=optional choice.

Mark

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,542 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 03, 2018 20:13 |  #13

rrblint wrote in post #18555831 (external link)
Black=active choice.

Purple=optional choice.

That's what I expected, but on that FYEO page it's the other way round.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2018 20:31 |  #14

rrblint wrote in post #18555831 (external link)
Black=active choice.

Purple=optional choice.

Oh Look is right - it is the opposite of what you say here.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,622 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by rrblint.

Feb 03, 2018 22:50 |  #15

OhLook wrote in post #18555566 (external link)

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18555637 (external link)
I thank you both for this help!

I was "assuming" that the black text was not clickable.

OhLook wrote in post #18555835 (external link)
That's what I expected, but on that FYEO page it's the other way round.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18555840 (external link)
Oh Look is right - it is the opposite of what you say here.

Oops...Got it backward, it is confusing. Sorry folks... Fixed.:-)

Mark

sponsored links

1,089 views & 10 likes for this thread
I Gotta Hand it to Pekka
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.