Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 09:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photoshop print size problems

Gas ­ Hog
I like a good quack in the morning.
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 03, 2018 09:50 |  #1

I almost always use the 24 inch roll for my Canon Pro 2000. No matter what size I make the print it prints it exactly that size.

I have some 8.5x11 cut sheet I would like to use. I do the same procedure as with the roll size in PS,
click print
go to settings tell PS what size paper I have
and then click OK

But now it shows the print smaller and a border on 2 sides that is crosshatch. I thought that maybe it would print correctly despite this but no.
It prints exactly what the preview in PS shows? WTF

Why would it arbitrarily down size a print that the same software just sized ?
I know this is simple but man what a fight so far.
Gary

All Nikon all the time :cool:
gear list

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 03, 2018 10:20 |  #2

Gas Hog wrote in post #18555399 (external link)
I almost always use the 24 inch roll for my Canon Pro 2000. No matter what size I make the print it prints it exactly that size.

I have some 8.5x11 cut sheet I would like to use. I do the same procedure as with the roll size in PS,
click print
go to settings tell PS what size paper I have
and then click OK

But now it shows the print smaller and a border on 2 sides that is crosshatch. I thought that maybe it would print correctly despite this but no.
It prints exactly what the preview in PS shows? WTF

Why would it arbitrarily down size a print that the same software just sized ?
I know this is simple but man what a fight so far.
Gary

Could it be because of this:

The roll has a fixed width, but a variable length. . This means that no matter what aspect ratio your image is, it will print 'properly', because the length automatically adjusts to accommodate any aspect ratio.

The 8.5 by 11 inch paper has a fixed width AND a fixed length. . So, for any aspect ratio other than exactly 8.5 by 11 (or 17 by 22, if rounding up to the nearest whole numbers), in order to fit the entire image on the paper it will have to leave some margins blank, which it then fills in with the crosshatch.

Do you think that this could be the problem?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 04, 2018 06:04 |  #3

Tom,
Not sure, I "think" I printed 8.5x11 sheets when I first got the printer as my first rolls were not here yet. I remember them printing correctly. I assume I clicked a box somewhere that is messing me up. To fix the problem yesterday I sized them to 11x8.5 and placed them side by side in PS and printed them on a roll.
But there must be something I am missing.
I have done a crop to the exact size. Then did a image reduction to that size. Click print and it shows margins on 2 sides vmad
I have left the image large, click print and check the box that shows scale to paper size..same thing vmadvmad

It simply will not fill a 8.5x11 sheet. There is a box for borderless printing but is grayed out for sheets -?
Gary

gear list

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Feb 04, 2018 14:33 |  #4

What have you got set for the paper size and printing options in the printer driver? I've only got a little A4 multi function Pixma MG5150, and I normally only print photos from Lr, but some paper options can be quite limiting, as they won't allow borderless printing for a start. I would start out looking at all of the settings in the print driver first.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 05, 2018 04:25 |  #5

Paper options in the driver? I might need a ladder as that would be over my head :-D
Gary

gear list

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 05, 2018 05:28 |  #6

Gas Hog wrote in post #18556615 (external link)
Paper options in the driver? I might need a ladder as that would be over my head :-D
Gary

Photoshop, just like any other program doesn't send data directly to the printer, but uses the system driver. I just looked in Ps, since it is many years since I printed from Ps. In the Ps Print dialogue at the top is the choice of printer selection, and just under that is the number of copies, and a box that says Print Settings. Click on this and it will open your printer driver. Once you are in the print driver you will have lots of options, and many of them are specific to your printer, so I can't really be of specific help.

Alan

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,792 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 05, 2018 06:16 |  #7

I don't print through photoshop personally. I always size the image with the proper resolution and then save it out. I then print though the OS which always directs me to the printer settings as supplied by Canon. There I have no issues with borderless settings, etc.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 05, 2018 07:26 |  #8

Ok well then I have been in the printer driver settings and just did not know it. Lots of paper sizes there and you can input custom sizes.
I bought the cannon printer because of the cannon printing software (cant remember name) I did not want to use the PS software..but it would never work on the computer. Cannon says I don't have printer privileges..3 different techs and me say I do. Result, no worky :-(

The greatest thing in a tech's day is to say..its not our fault its the other guy.

Gary

gear list

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,792 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 14 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Feb 05, 2018 12:15 |  #9

I missed what operating system?

You not having access to printer privileges is an account thing if this is windows. A local admin would always be able to get to those settings.

Do you see this type of screen?

https://lh3.googleuser​content.com ...umb%255B5%255D?imgm​ax=800 (external link)

If Mac, I won't be of any help. :(

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 06, 2018 11:32 |  #10

Windows 7. And yes I see that screen..I even tried to click ok on your photo :-D

I think I will replicate and post a screen shot. Maybe you will see something I am missing.
Thanks,
Gary

gear list

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 06, 2018 12:00 |  #11

Ok here is a shot of setting up the print to 8.5x11 and clicking the enlarge/reduce to fit paper. Notice borderless printing is grayed out
I had to go back and set to landscape

Second one shows the clipping that will happen if I were to print

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

gear list

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 06, 2018 12:15 |  #12

You need to select a paper type and size that will allow you to select Borderless Printing. You may find options that will help if click either Output Method or Size Options. Otherwise you may need to look on the Layout tab. You need to controls that allow you to chose the paper type, not the paper size. With the correct paper type you should be able to print borderless.

Of course since you are using a printer designed for use with much larger paper sizes, and of course roll paper, you might not actually be able to print borderless on such small paper sizes. A quick check of the manual should help you there.

Yet another question that springs to mind is the source of the printer driver. More modern versions of Windows, such as Win 7, have generic drivers for many existing printers. The problem with them is that they only provide minimum functionality. It might also be an idea to ensure that you actually have the most up to date driver from Canon installed on your system.

Alan

Gas ­ Hog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Lost and found
Feb 07, 2018 04:24 |  #13

Trust me I have hours logged on the phone with Cannon to get the "correct" driver trying to get their software to work. I have selected every paper option just as a trial which there are 50+ and only roll will let you print borderless. In fact if you have roll and borderless selected and switch to cut sheet a window will pop up telling you that borderless is now gone.

I may just give up on cut sheet, I didn't buy the printer for that anyway. Until I find a better software to print with.
Gary

gear list

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Post has been edited 12 days ago by lacogada.
Feb 07, 2018 07:52 |  #14

Gas Hog wrote in post #18558337 (external link)
I may just give up on cut sheet, I didn't buy the printer for that anyway. Until I find a better software to print with.
Gary

May want to try Qimage ... it has a free trial.
Tons of options.

http://www.ddisoftware​.com/qimage-u/ (external link)

Very helpful forum that may find a solution.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,792 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2018 08:16 |  #15

I don't have the 2000, but the Pro 9000, and I can print borderless on just about any photo size I select in their driver, so that is odd. I wonder why they don't allow borderless on preset sizes. Is this a case where Canon is controlling features by product perhaps?

sponsored links

905 views & 3 likes for this thread
Photoshop print size problems
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.