Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 03 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 13:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Where are the Evening Grosbeaks?

Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Feb 03, 2018 13:54 |  #1

I can't remember when the last time was I saw an Evening Grosbeak. It must be 20 years, at least, here in Central PA.
Anybody have a sighting in the North East lately?

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Feb 03, 2018 16:55 |  #2

Evening grosbeak is an irruptive species leaving the north in winter when food supplies dwindle, but the eastern population has been falling for decades. I haven't seen one in over fifteen years now here in western Ohio. A number of factors are being looked at as to causing the population drop. One thing to think about is that they were never common in the east until the early/mid 1900's, and then their numbers started coming down in the 70's-90's. I can remember seeing them in the 80's growing up in winter at my parents bird feeders.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 03, 2018 17:21 |  #3

We get them here in my area each year. . They are here for a few days each spring - many of them - then they leave, not to be seen again until the following spring. . That's just how Evening Grosbeaks are.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lycomech96
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
Post has been edited 15 days ago by Lycomech96.
Feb 07, 2018 14:17 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #4

They used to come every year, 25 years ago. They would hog a lot of sunflowers seeds at one sitting. I noticed one with a right eye missing, so I snuck up on it's blind side and picked it up. Big mistake. They don't call them grosbeaks for nothing. That danged thing turned it's head around and grabbed the skin between my thumb and first finger. Oww, I couldn't shake that thing off fast enough.

281 views & 1 like for this thread
Where are the Evening Grosbeaks?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.