Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 03 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where are the Evening Grosbeaks?

Lycomech96
269 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 03, 2018 13:54 |  #1

I can't remember when the last time was I saw an Evening Grosbeak. It must be 20 years, at least, here in Central PA.
Anybody have a sighting in the North East lately?

sponsored links
Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,986 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 03, 2018 16:55 |  #2

Evening grosbeak is an irruptive species leaving the north in winter when food supplies dwindle, but the eastern population has been falling for decades. I haven't seen one in over fifteen years now here in western Ohio. A number of factors are being looked at as to causing the population drop. One thing to think about is that they were never common in the east until the early/mid 1900's, and then their numbers started coming down in the 70's-90's. I can remember seeing them in the 80's growing up in winter at my parents bird feeders.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,888 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2018 17:21 |  #3

We get them here in my area each year. . They are here for a few days each spring - many of them - then they leave, not to be seen again until the following spring. . That's just how Evening Grosbeaks are.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lycomech96
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by Lycomech96.

Feb 07, 2018 14:17 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #4

They used to come every year, 25 years ago. They would hog a lot of sunflowers seeds at one sitting. I noticed one with a right eye missing, so I snuck up on it's blind side and picked it up. Big mistake. They don't call them grosbeaks for nothing. That danged thing turned it's head around and grabbed the skin between my thumb and first finger. Oww, I couldn't shake that thing off fast enough.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,674 posts
Gallery: 1912 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 15, 2018 19:13 |  #5

Nov 2016 I had a few groups of them but they were short lived. (pic below ). 2015 we had a few more I think.. 2012 -13 we had very large groups of a few hundred in the tree's with 20 or so hiting the feeder at the same time

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,674 posts
Gallery: 1912 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 15, 2018 19:15 |  #6

I haven't seen a Pine Grosbeak since 2013 or 14 I think

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,142 views & 1 like for this thread
Where are the Evening Grosbeaks?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.