Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do the colors and light look? My turkey hen.

TRDApril
Should I ditch them?
48 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2016

Feb 04, 2018 12:45 |  #1

This looks perfect on my main monitor, but my second...not so much. My monitors were perfect and calibrated, but I had a burn in problem and BenQ replaced it. After 4 replacements of brand new, not refurbished or returned monitors I gave up. I cannot even calibrate them to be close to the same color temperature.

So to you, does it look horrendous like my main monitor, or does it look OK?

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4767/40083153241_6307ce66ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …241/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
6 month old turkey hen (external link) by TRDApril (external link) on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 70-200 f4 L IS | Canon 24-105 f4 L IS | Canon 35 f2 IS | Canon 50 1.8 II | Canon 85 f1.8 | 430EX II | 1.4X III | ProTactic 450 AW | Vanguard Alta Pro 264AB

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 666 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2018 13:16 |  #2

Looks fine to me. I'm impressed you got that shot with 100 mm. The turkeys here aren't quite so trusting of people.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,611 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 04, 2018 14:49 |  #3

I'm not sure what the turkey looks like in real life. Is the wattle supposed to be a sort-of faded pink salmon color?

Mark

bob_r
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 04, 2018 15:37 |  #4

I think you need to test with something with a more consistent color, perhaps a closeup of some crayons. You might also let us know what you are using to calibrate your monitors.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,879 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 04, 2018 15:44 |  #5

TRDApril wrote in post #18556174 (external link)

It looks perfect to me, and I am rather familiar with hen turkey heads :-D

I think the head looks perfect and I think that the blurred out background looks perfect.

rrblint wrote in post #18556256 (external link)
I'm not sure what the turkey looks like in real life. Is the wattle supposed to be a sort-of faded pink salmon color?

The non-feathered parts of their heads are variable. . I suppose it has something with blood flow to those parts, because sometimes it will be a muted, somewhat washed out looking reddish pink colour and other times it will be a bit bolder in color.

Turkey heads will also look a lot different depending on the light that is illuminating them. When there is diffused light, such as we have here, they look like this. . When there is direct light on them, the colors usually look bolder.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,611 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 04, 2018 18:00 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18556295 (external link)
It looks perfect to me, and I am rather familiar with hen turkey heads :-D

I think the head looks perfect and I think that the blurred out background looks perfect.

The non-feathered parts of their heads are variable. . I suppose it has something with blood flow to those parts, because sometimes it will be a muted, somewhat washed out looking reddish pink colour and other times it will be a bit bolder in color.

Turkey heads will also look a lot different depending on the light that is illuminating them. When there is diffused light, such as we have here, they look like this. . When there is direct light on them, the colors usually look bolder.

Thanks Tom for the info.:-)

Mark

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2018 21:09 |  #7

TRDApril wrote in post #18556174 (external link)
This looks perfect on my main monitor, but my second...not so much. My monitors were perfect and calibrated, but I had a burn in problem and BenQ replaced it. After 4 replacements of brand new, not refurbished or returned monitors I gave up. I cannot even calibrate them to be close to the same color temperature.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …241/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
6 month old turkey hen (external link) by TRDApril (external link) on Flickr

---
I am guessing that the focus-point is on the eye of the turkey --> looks tack sharp to me as the 'freckles' are perfectly visible.
Looks like you selected a shallow depth-of-field, the black feathers on the neck look soft and to great effect.
Presumably this is outdoors, so the WB is fine
The only negative (if at all) is that this image needs PP to bring-out the colours a bit more - the neck-gonad looks pink and not red
(to me, this image is not over-exposed at all) just add-in a touch of saturation and/or vibrancy to restore 'lost' colour)

the fact that this turkey has ice on his beak gives him real character
IT IS A GREAT CAPTURE!

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,308 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2018 22:15 |  #8

It does not look horrendous here.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,130 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2018 18:27 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18556524 (external link)
It does not look horrendous here.

Given the subject it's hard to tell if this is a positive comment or a negative. <G>

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

TRDApril
THREAD ­ STARTER
Should I ditch them?
48 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2016

Feb 07, 2018 09:17 |  #10

Thank you all very much! I've used a Spyder 2 and a Spyder 3. I have never had a BenQ monitor and was in love until this happened. I am so pissed. I might get rid of them both and start over. It sucks knowing what your image looks like to you and then you post it to think "What if it's extremely dark on their monitor?", "What if it has too much or not enough color?".

I took a picture of the split monitors with the image. Ignore the lines from the cell phone image. You can see the "blue" tint on the left that I cannot get rid of. I edit the image based on the right monitor. I just use the left for work.

That is her colors thus far though. People say it's a tom, but I say it's a hen. It will be 6 months old tomorrow :). It's a salmon color, no red yet.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 70-200 f4 L IS | Canon 24-105 f4 L IS | Canon 35 f2 IS | Canon 50 1.8 II | Canon 85 f1.8 | 430EX II | 1.4X III | ProTactic 450 AW | Vanguard Alta Pro 264AB

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,879 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2018 10:31 |  #11

Cham_001 wrote in post #18556476 (external link)
The only negative (if at all) is that this image needs PP to bring-out the colours a bit more - the neck-gonad looks pink and not red
(to me, this image is not over-exposed at all) just add-in a touch of saturation and/or vibrancy to restore 'lost' colour)

Cham,

I am curious about why you suggest adding more saturated colour, when it looks to me like April captured the colour exactly the way it really is in real life.

The real, actual colour in hen turkeys heads is usually a very muted, washed-out looking salmonish pink colour. . This is what they really look like. . Making it a stronger, more saturated reddish colour would not be consistent with reality.

TRDApril wrote in post #18558449 (external link)
These are her colors thus far though. It's a salmon color, no red yet.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

668 views & 8 likes for this thread
How do the colors and light look? My turkey hen.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.