Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

diff tool for raw photos

chapster
98 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 04, 2018 23:25 |  #1

Anyone know of a diff tool for mac that can compare raw format files.
I have 2 hard drives with some mixed edits on some files and I need a tool that can compare both hard drives with each other and tell me which raw files have changed on each drive ?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,508 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by kirkt.

Feb 04, 2018 23:31 |  #2

In most cases a raw file is not changed. You would need to look at the database, if you use an app like Lightroom that writes its edits in the database, or at the sidecar files that a raw converter would write as a text file next to the raw file that contain the editing settings.

DNG files will contain the edit instructions in the file itself. I did know how you might go about running a diff on two DNGs.

Kirk

Kirk
---

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,312 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 04, 2018 23:34 |  #3

I am a bit confused by your question, as RAW images never change.
An app, like lightroom or aperture can save edits to RAW files within the apps data base. Or you can "save as" or export as a jpeg or tiff, but the raw file never changes. So if you have multiple copies of a raw file on different drives, even if you've had one copy open in an editor, the two copies will still be identical.

If you are just looking to see if you have multiples, the filename should be the same.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

chapster
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by chapster. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2018 23:51 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #4

Kirkt If you can remember how to diff DNG files that would be great. As far as Lightroom goes how would I compare or look at the database ?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,662 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2018 06:07 |  #5

chapster wrote in post #18556563 (external link)
Kirkt If you can remember how to diff DNG files that would be great. As far as Lightroom goes how would I compare or look at the database ?

Just open the all images view and set order by date. I would probably filter for master copies, just to remove any virtual copies from view. Then all you have to do is scan the images visually for duplicates. If you know which folders the suspected duplicates are in then it is possible to select multiple folder locations, or even folder trees, if you have show sub folders enabled, simply by using Ctrl+Click. This then will reduce the number of images to be viewed to a minimum.

Since the edit instructions are held as text strings within the DNG file a simple binary diff tool will find any files with the same name and creation date that have differences. Of course with the DNG files initially what you really want to know is which files are identical binary copies, since getting rid of one of those will be a no brainer. Then you will need to compare the binary different files visually to see what the differences are. It may well be that the edits are the same, but the EXIF details are different, as this will also produce a binary difference in the file.

All of this presupposes you used either Lr, or worked using DNG files. If you used any other editing application working on native RAW formats then this won't show you any differences in edits between the different applications. Since this is still a Canon oriented forum one thing to note is that if you use DPP as your RAW editor that program, and that program alone, stores it's edits as metadata in the original CR2 file, just like with DNG files, not in a sidecar file.

Actually writing the edit information directly to the RAW file as metadata is a valid option for any RAW converter, since doing that won't actually change the image data of the file in any way. Each RAW editing program simply needs to create a new section within the "Private" area of the files metadata to store the information. As long as all programmers respect this you could have multiple edits from multiple programs, with all the data retained within the one file.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

467 views & 0 likes for this thread
diff tool for raw photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.