Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 06 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 11:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I'm new, be gentle

Nick ­ Aufiero
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 11:45 |  #1

kidding, you can be ruthless :]

This is literally the second time I've shot real estate, I found the proper way of exposing HDR and it still seems a little bright in the highlights but
much better than the first time. think it had to do with the editing and maybe adding too many of the brighter exposed images into photomatix? I did usually 9 bracketed shots for each of these

I know the composition and framing is wonky in some of them but that comes with time.

I'm just curious if the HDR turned out decent and what kinda framing and composition works best.
Seems like I needed to be a little higher but I've heard not too high. Color was another difficult thing to pin down because of their lights (this was a trial house and I will be bringing my own lights to swap out for more tests but the Owners of real houses will have to make sure all lights match 100%)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

sponsored links
Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 11:45 |  #2

more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,184 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 18 days ago by Talley.
Feb 06, 2018 11:50 |  #3

Welcome,

I don't like the trend that real estate peeps are doing where they get an UWA and they bury it at the widest setting. I'd much prefer something in the 20mm range for interior shots.

Also watch the mix up of bulbs of different temps. Watch the verticals too.

other than that keep on learning. I'm a noob too. Thats why I don't post anything.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 06, 2018 12:56 |  #4

I think you've got too much 3rd wall. Like in the first photo the left wall you put the entire dresser(?) in the photo, I don't think you can get away with cropping like 2/3 of that wall and still have essentially the same photo but won't seem to wide.

CC welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 06, 2018 13:06 |  #5

The even exposures that you've been able to create are absolutely wonderful! . I love what you've done with your ability to make both the highlights and the shadows look really, really good. . Excellent job!

For whatever reason, in all of the photos it looks like the walls are not at right angles to each other. . I mean, if I were a potential buyer, I would see these photos and think that the walls were all angled. . I actually thought that for several minutes, until I realized that it is probably from perspective distortion or something of the sort. . If I weren't a photographer myself, I would never know that any of the walls were actually straight. . I'm just afraid that if potential home buyers saw your photos, they would be completely misled about what the rooms are really like.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 16:57 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #6

well tbh the pictures were for editing purposes

once I get the technique down of actually producing a clean image, I would work on composition more.

I don't actually know how to photograph real estate, never studied it nor looked into it. I went into this blind so.

I would love to find some good tips or tutorials on how to position walls.
I figured when I went back I'll start doing more shots per room but I was just wanting to learn how to properly expose and edit these

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 16:58 as a reply to Talley's post |  #7

I mean, the WA/UWA is to make the rooms look bigger. I did shoot very wide and plan on closing the space a little bit but yeah
that is Why they shoot UWA.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 06, 2018 17:00 |  #8

Nick Aufiero wrote in post #18558007 (external link)
once I get the technique down of actually producing a clean image . . .

Well, you certainly seem to have accomplished that goal.

The images are wonderful, from a technical standpoint. . I am extremely impressed with the way you managed the exposure(s) so skillfully.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Cham_001
863 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Feb 06, 2018 17:02 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18557801 (external link)
The even exposures that you've been able to create are absolutely wonderful! . I love what you've done with your ability to make both the highlights and the shadows look really, really good. . Excellent job!

For whatever reason, in all of the photos it looks like the walls are not at right angles to each other. . I mean, if I were a potential buyer, I would see these photos and think that the walls were all angled. . I actually thought that for several minutes, until I realized that it is probably from perspective distortion or something of the sort. . If I weren't a photographer myself, I would never know that any of the walls were actually straight. . I'm just afraid that if potential home buyers saw your photos, they would be completely misled about what the rooms are really like.

---
Agree with Tom on this one. The 'set' as a whole looks consistent. As you know, that is vital for prospective Buyers to reflect 'realism' despite the UWA issue.
Colours, composition, cleanliness and ...etc have all been taken care of to invite Prospectives 'in'.
I think the overall results are astounding!

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 20:31 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #10

well I did have some help from a few people on here as to how to find and setup the HDR shots. I'm just glad I could accomplish it and get the post processing right.

Hopefully now I can see how the images should be shot composition wise.
Its weird going from shooting people for 3-4 years to shooting the inside of a building or house haha

but thanks for the kind words.
encouragement is always nice in times like these!

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 06, 2018 20:33 as a reply to Cham_001's post |  #11

Thanks again for the kind words.

I really had a hard time with correcting the color because of the mismatching lights and all that.

I had a lot of red tints and hues to clean up but yeah

I am working on fixing the UWA effect and hopefully gonna shoot more towards 16mm or above for most shots.

I was just told to make it look as big as possible and well........ That was how I thought I could do that hahaha

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,844 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 06, 2018 22:24 |  #12

Here is a tip I hope helps. I picked up a few AD200 Godox flashes for my wife's real estate business. I also picked up some small lightweight light stands. This allows her to use these as "lamps" or backlighting in the rooms instead of the ceiling fans, wall lights or lamps. This sets the color more consistently and being able to place these in key points to light up the room, she can light it as she sees fit for the picture.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Feb 06, 2018 23:33 |  #13

Nothing wrong with your shots but the staging company needs to add some treatments to the windows.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Oklahoma city
Feb 07, 2018 10:49 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #14

yeah i'll work on speed lights and stuff later on. I have external lighting down I'm just wanting to do it this way for now to get things rolling.

The work in my area is actually somehow worse than mine (from what I've seen and heard) so this will be more than sufficient once I get the framing and stuff down

sponsored links

304 views & 5 likes for this thread
I'm new, be gentle
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.