Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 07 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 12:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS Movie Utility?

cristphoto
846 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Feb 07, 2018 12:10 |  #1

Has anyone used EOS Movie Utility (comes on software disk with camera) to splice together two or more movie files into one movie? I read the documentation and seemingly did as directed but can't make this happen. Any helpful advice to make this happen? Thanks.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,688 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by John from PA. 5 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2018 14:14 |  #2

A couple of things.

First there is a User Manual for the movie utility at http://gdlp01.c-wss.com ...Instruction_Manual_​EN.pdf (external link). It may however be the same as you have already read.

The latest version of the Canon utility is at https://www.canon-europe.com ...07%20(64-bit)&language=EN (external link). It is possible the disk version that came with your camera isn't the latest/greatest.

Also check the thread at http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​424393 and specifically the OP comments. He states (in part)

Second, it will only merge clips from the 1Dc or the 70D Mk II.

That was written in March 2015 so check your equipment and maybe make sure you have the most recent version of software.

Also, in case you aren't aware, in Windows, somewhat dependent on the version there is an application called Windows Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker that enables you to merge clips. In Mac, it is called iMovie, or something very close to that.

cristphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
846 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Feb 07, 2018 20:10 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Thanks for the response. I do have the latest software and documentation. I talked to Canon tech support and they stated the program only splices files that hit the 4 gig limit. My needs are to splice together 3-5 minute clips so the program does nothing for me. I will look into the Windows program. Again thanks.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

2chesapeakes
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2010
Feb 08, 2018 08:23 as a reply to cristphoto's post |  #4

VSDC is free and I have used it to do what your are trying to do and it is capable of much moire.

cristphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
846 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Feb 08, 2018 09:13 |  #5

I was able to download the Windows Movie Maker program. Quick, easy and free. It stitches together clips and much more. I love Canon but their software can sometimes be so annoying.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,620 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Feb 08, 2018 10:20 |  #6

cristphoto wrote in post #18558954 (external link)
Thanks for the response. I do have the latest software and documentation. I talked to Canon tech support and they stated the program only splices files that hit the 4 gig limit. My needs are to splice together 3-5 minute clips so the program does nothing for me. I will look into the Windows program. Again thanks.

It doesn't even do that unless you have one of the right models of camera. Bleah.

sponsored links

443 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS Movie Utility?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.