Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grand Canyon 2018

edfgrf1951
37 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2018

Feb 07, 2018 15:05 |  #1

Planning trip to GC this year. Will be travelling in a motorhome. Thinking about 5 days there then travel to maybe Colorado or Utah. Looking for input for places to see and photograph.Thanks.

sponsored links
Grizz1
Goldmember
1,577 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2018 20:33 |  #2

IMO, the South West is a beautiful area, love Colorado but Utah has 5 National Parks. All are uniquely different and each deserve at least a day. Between parks the state is beautiful to view and drive across. A copy of "Photographing the South West" by Laurent Martres is a nice book to read before leaving on your trip, Volume one will give a lot of info.
My vote would be see the GC for a couple days then spend the rest of my time in Utah.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,885 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 07, 2018 21:13 |  #3

Check this thread http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1490736.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,614 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by ejenner.

Feb 17, 2018 22:07 |  #4

I live in CO, but personally I would do Utah if I had to choose. You can't really go wrong in Utah IMO.

If you particularly want to see mountains, you could hit Rocky Mountain NP, but it gets packed in the summer. I would suggest a side trip to Telluride or Oray instead, but they a quite a side-trip off I70.

Side trips off I70:

St Marys glacier. I have only been in the winter, it could get very busy in the summer, but it is a short hike, even if you have to park in town, nice views and interesting wind-blown trees. There is also a not-to-steep hike to Loch Lomond with some pretty lakes just up a bit further.

James Pass. This will be a longer hike up a 4WD road, but quite a lot of ridges that you can hike up and get nice views. Probably aught to be reasonably fit to enjoy this one.

Hiking from Loveland pass which is on US6, also just off I70 is also very nice, but the altitude can get people if you are not either used to the altitude or quite fit. However, a short, although somewhat steep 400ft-ish climb will get you nice views in all directions.

In the summer you can also drive up Mt Evans, almost to the top, again a short side trip from I70.

So I guess I would recommend Utah with perhaps 1-2 side trips in CO if you are taking I70.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2018 09:16 |  #5

ejenner wrote in post #18566409 (external link)
St Marys glacier. I have only been in the winter, it could get very busy in the summer, but it is a short hike, even if you have to park in town, nice views and interesting wind-blown trees. There is also a not-to-steep hike to Loch Lomond with some pretty lakes just up a bit further.

James Pass. This will be a longer hike up a 4WD road, but quite a lot of ridges that you can hike up and get nice views. Probably aught to be reasonably fit to enjoy this one.

St. Marys does have some people in the summer, but that wouldn't be a bad place to visit. Very short hike in from the parking lot. I think you mean Jones Pass, which would not be accessible with an RV, and I mean lower down even, not the pass itself. Hanging Lake is another one nice spot, but that has gotten absurdly crowded, no parking unless you are there early.

Lake Isabelle in Indian Peaks Wilderness would be a nice hike for an out of stater. Pretty flat walk, easy access, but don't go before July, too much snow.

Flickr (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,614 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 18, 2018 16:31 as a reply to  @ patrick j's post |  #6

Yea, I meant Jones Pass, I keep calling it James for some reason. I was thinking parking by the Henderson Mine, which is essentially the winter parking spot. Honestly I'm not sure what the summer parking looks like.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2018 22:08 |  #7

ejenner wrote in post #18566932 (external link)
Yea, I meant Jones Pass, I keep calling it James for some reason. I was thinking parking by the Henderson Mine, which is essentially the winter parking spot. Honestly I'm not sure what the summer parking looks like.

I think summer parking is however far you feel like bumping along that road. Two summers ago, in August, I almost got to the top, but there was a large drift (cornice maybe) basically at the top still hanging in there where the snow blows through the gap, so had to back down to the first switchback where there was enough room to turn around.

Flickr (external link)

edfgrf1951
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2018

Feb 19, 2018 18:27 |  #8

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into those destinations.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2018 21:26 |  #9

Speaking of Hanging Lake. just saw this news. Unfortunate but probably necessary.

The USFS’s plan will cap visits to 615 people per day, that’s about half the number of people who use the trail during a busy summer day. Everyone who visits must buy a permit.

Officials also want to close the small parking lot and force visitors to pay for a shuttle ride to then hike to Hanging Lake.

Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,885 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 22, 2018 06:31 |  #10

patrick j wrote in post #18568719 (external link)
Speaking of Hanging Lake. just saw this news. Unfortunate but probably necessary.

The USFS’s plan will cap visits to 615 people per day, that’s about half the number of people who use the trail during a busy summer day. Everyone who visits must buy a permit.

Officials also want to close the small parking lot and force visitors to pay for a shuttle ride to then hike to Hanging Lake.

According to http://denver.cbslocal​.com …rictions-garfield-county/ (external link) these restrictions expect to be in place around May/June 2018.

sponsored links

651 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grand Canyon 2018
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.