Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 07 Feb 2018 (Wednesday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gold-crowned kinglet

squirl033
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 07, 2018 20:22 |  #1

This has been been my nemesis bird for the last several years... I've tried unsuccessfully to get a decent shot of one, but to no avail. Today, while exploring a new wetland area, I came across a flock of them flitting among the branches, but, as usual, I'd no sooner get one in focus than it would fly off, frustrating my best efforts. Then this one landed on a branch about 10 feet in front of me, and just SAT there! I'm quite sure that was in direct violation of one or more articles of the "Kinglet Kode of Konduct", but I gladly took advantage of the opportunity... had to focus manually, because there were too many branches in the way for the AF to work, but this little fella just chilled while I tried different angles, looking for the best shot through the intervening sticks... None are perfect, but this is one of my favorites... 400mm, 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 1600.

IMAGE: http://image.ibb.co/egP1bH/MG_5543_crop1_sm.jpg

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.com (external link)

sponsored links
Beekeeper
Goldmember
2,986 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 08, 2018 00:27 |  #2

Nice shot Rocky. The're really common here in winter, but I've yet to get a shot of one. They never sit still, and 90% of the time they are in the canopy. I rarely see them at eye level.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 08, 2018 07:39 |  #3

If there's anything harder to shoot than a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, it is the Golden-crowned; I believe they are even faster. As you say, not perfect, but a good capture nevertheless. Good for you.

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,375 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 08, 2018 09:57 |  #4

Anybody anywhere who can get a good shot of one of these tiny speedsters has my admiration. Nicely done, Rocky. I predict your second one will come soon and be totally out in the open :) .

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 08, 2018 10:42 |  #5

Wallace River wrote in post #18559277 (external link)
Anybody anywhere who can get a good shot of one of these tiny speedsters has my admiration. Nicely done, Rocky. I predict your second one will come soon and be totally out in the open :) .

Put in your time, and photo-ops may happen. They do stop sometimes, and sometimes they appear on lawns, by the hundreds, and you can just shoot by percentages. I've had two experiences with huge flocks of them, both in the Bronx, in two different parks. Both during fall migration, they were literally covering lawns in mixed flocks with Palm Warblers. As I passed through the lawns, they just flew far enough away from me so that there was a circle of no birds in a 15-foot radius around me, wherever I walked, and a carpet of GK Kinglets and Palm Warblers beyond that circle. Before those experiences, I assumed that these birds migrated solo, but I suspect otherwise now.

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2018 11:31 as a reply to  @ John Sheehy's post |  #6

Thanks, guys! Al, I'm with you... they are smaller and faster than their ruby-crowned cousins. They do travel in flocks, but most often around here they're in the trees, almost impossible to get a shot of. I have seen them feeding on the ground, but never more than a few at a time, and they never let me get close enough for a decent photo...

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

Trik
707 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 08, 2018 13:00 |  #7

Are these what we Brits call Firecrests? If so - along with the Goldcrest - I have found them just as troublesome over here, so "well done" you.

http://www.trikimages.​co.uk (external link)

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2018 16:44 |  #8

Trik wrote in post #18559419 (external link)
Are these what we Brits call Firecrests? If so - along with the Goldcrest - I have found them just as troublesome over here, so "well done" you.

Thank you. It's a close cousin... ;)

Rocky ~
~ Three Dog Night

sponsored links

359 views & 13 likes for this thread
Gold-crowned kinglet
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.