Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 09:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D MKII OWNERS: BOTTOM LINE?

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Feb 08, 2018 09:00 |  #1

I've read so many reviews about the 6D MKII that my head's about to explode. Most are really favorable, but there are certainly a lot of negatives out there, too, primarily dealing with DR. I have the 6D and I love it, but the plan is to make it my #2 body (which is currently my old 40D).

So, after reading reviews ad nauseum, I wanted to ask the 6D MKII owners here a simple question:

Would you do it again?

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links
normware
Joined Apr 2014
Ottawa Canada
Post has been edited 14 days ago by normware.
Feb 08, 2018 10:19 |  #2

Going from a 70d to the 6d MKII - Yes.
Going from a 6D - No.

If I had a 40D and a 6D and I was looking to replace the 40D - I might look at the 7dMK2 (or is it 3) definitely the 80D

As I was looking to go to FF and stay with Canon, the 6dMKII made sense as I liked the DPAF on the 70D

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

iwo
50 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Frisco, TX
Feb 08, 2018 13:58 |  #3

yes, I would do it again. However, I'm one of the people that paid $2000. Should have waited and purchase at $1200 or so during the thanksgiving sales last year.
It's far better than the 6D mark 1 which I had but sold.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 08, 2018 20:13 |  #4

iwo wrote in post #18559450 (external link)
It's far better than the 6D mark 1 which I had but sold.

This is very interesting to me, particularly because I just spent a month comparing and researching the 6D and the 6D 2, and finally settled on the 6D.

So, I am now thinking that I made the wrong decision because of what you say here. . Could you explain what is better about the 6D 2 than the 6D? . I could always sell the 6D that I just got and buy a 6D 2 instead, if what you have to say is convincing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Gixxer.SW
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Hobart Australia
Feb 08, 2018 20:28 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18559657 (external link)
This is very interesting to me, particularly because I just spent a month comparing and researching the 6D and the 6D 2, and finally settled on the 6D.

So, I am now thinking that I made the wrong decision because of what you say here. . Could you explain what is better about the 6D 2 than the 6D? . I could always sell the 6D that I just got and buy a 6D 2 instead, if what you have to say is convincing.

I spent 4 years with the 6D and have now up-graded to the MKII. It is a far better camera in terms of features which can add to your keeper rate and your enjoyment of using the camera.

Yes, the sensor Dynamic range may not have improved but somehow the colors look more vibrant and the camera is just nicer all round to use.

After a month of researching both cameras you should have a thorough understanding of the feature difference, however the enjoyment and true value of the new features only come with camera in hand.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM |

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Feb 08, 2018 20:37 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #6

I had the 6D for over a year and sold my back up 7D prematurely as I thought they were announcing the 6Dii before they actually did. I had every intention of making the 6Dii my main and 6D my back up. Once the 6Dii was officially announced I decided to wait and hear some real world reviews to see if it was actually worth the upgrade. In the end I decided it was not worth it. I didn’t care about the articulating screen or touch screen. I wanted more FPS, more focus points, and a joystick that I came to love on the 7D. I saved up and caught the 5D4 bundle on sale for $2750 after rebate with grip and printer. I’m so glad I waited because the 5D4 is in another league. With that said, if I had a choice between the 6D and 6Dii given current prices I would without a doubt gondor the 6Dii. It is about to replace my 6D as a back up to my 5D4 and my everyday real estate camera so I can utilize the screen. I also found out that the touch screen is pretty awesome.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Feb 08, 2018 20:40 |  #7

For some strange reason the 6D11 debates sound a lot like the 40D v/s 50D debates years ago.

compare it to a 5 yr old bod and stop complaining. Can you really buy a bad camera anymore ???

I dont think so

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

jptsr1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Northern NJ
Feb 08, 2018 21:05 |  #8

I would.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Choderboy.
Feb 08, 2018 23:40 |  #9

6D2 advantages over 6D
Weather sealed
6.5fps vs 4.5
45 AF points versus 11
45 cross type AF points vs 1
AF at f8 vs f5.6
flippy screen
touch screen
26MP vs 20MP

Put the DR into perspective. The 6D2 does not have the DR improvements that other recent releases have.
You say you love your 6D. Do any of the advantages I listed appeal to you. If so, you'll love a 6D2 even more than your 6D.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

deanedward
Joined Jan 2009
Philippines
Feb 09, 2018 00:08 |  #10

I'm one of those people who went from a 6D to a 6D2. Thanks to a huge discount at a local photo expo, I paid roughly the same amount for the 6D2 as I did for the 6D 4+ years ago. I don't care much for DR, but I do care for a better AF system and the 45-point all cross type AF system was the main thing that got me on board. DPAF is nice although it's not my default shooting setup...but now that it's there, maybe I'll shoot in LV more often. Yes, the 6D2's AF points are clustered near the center, but in actual use...it's pretty good. I can put what I'm focusing on at the corner AF points and I'd still get a lock on them. If you put your subject's eye on one of the corner AF points, you can have a pretty good looking portrait in the end because you can get place your subject off-center and still get some background in the picture. And if that's not enough, there's DPAF.

Make yourself heard
Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2 USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 09, 2018 01:14 |  #11

Choderboy wrote in post #18559752 (external link)
6D2 advantages over 6D
Weather sealed
6.5fps vs 4.5
45 AF points versus 11
45 cross type AF points vs 1
AF at f8 vs f5.6
flippy screen
touch screen
26MP vs 20MP

Put the DR into perspective. The 6D2 does not have the DR improvements that other recent releases have.
You say you love your 6D. Do any of the advantages I listed appeal to you. If so, you'll love a 6D2 even more than your 6D.

Thanks for listing these differences for us, Dave. . It is very helpful, for the purposes of this thread, to have them listed right here.

For me, it was these differences that you listed that I studied and contemplated for about a month before making a final decision. . Here were my thoughts about how much these differences mean to me:

Weather sealed - would be nice, but not essential. . I used my unsealed 5Dc continually in all kinds of wretched weather and never bothered to keep the rain off of it or to protect it at all, yet it lasted for 5 1/2 years before it finally succumbed to water damage.

6.5fps vs 4.5 - This would be very helpful, and result not only in more keepers, but in higher quality captures, with respect to leg positions of running mammals and wing positions of flying birds. . It would also help a lot when shooting wildlife during snowfall, when I want a lot of falling snowflakes in the image, but don't want any of them to be in front of the animal's eye or other key parts of the subject's visage.

45 AF points versus 11 - Doesn't matter. . What does matter would be expanding the overall frame coverage of the focus points. . I don't care how many points they can fit into a tiny little area in the middle of the frame. . I often like to compose my images with my subject way off to one side of the frame, so the additional points still leave me far short of what I need. . Not a useful improvement at all because they're clustered so tightly. . I still need to focus and then recompose, so what's the point? (pun kind of intended)

45 cross type AF points vs 1 - A little bit useful, but not too useful. . Why? . Because of what I just said above ^ ^ ^

AF at f8 vs f5.6 - Meaningless. . I use the 'proper' lenses for getting long focal lengths, and don't try to "cheap out" by putting extenders on lenses that are already slow. . So the f8 vs. f5.6 thing doesn't help me at all.

flippy screen - might be useful for some situational shooting, but other than one or two times a year I don't see when I would use this feature.

touch screen - I hate touch screens on other devices, and only use them if there is no other option. . Touch screens are the reason I dislike using cellphones so much. . So I can't imagine that I would ever want one on a DSLR.

26MP vs 20MP - Now this would be very useful. . I really like to print big, like 36", 48", an 60" across. . And I like to have a lot of fine feather and hair detail in the big prints because they are viewed at very close distances.

Put the DR into perspective. The 6D2 does not have the DR improvements that other recent releases have. - DR itself isn't very important to me, but excellent RAW noise performance at high ISOs is extremely important to me, and many folks claim that DR and high ISO performance are very closely related. . Having an extra full stop of ISO performance would be a big huge gamechanger in my photography. . In fact, over the past 11 years, every time I have upgraded to a body with better high ISO performance it has resulted in a massive increase of keeper images for me.

In making a decision between the 6D and the 6D2, what it really came down to wasn't just the features. . Rather, it was features per dollar spent.

After considering all of its strengths and limitations, I figured that a 6D would be worth $700 to me, tops.

And after considering all of the 6D mark 2 strengths and limitations, I figured that it would be worth between $950 and $1050 to me.

I was able to find a 6D for $700, and I wasn't able to find a 6D mark 2 for around $1,000. . So I bought the 6D because its value to me was commensurate with the price that I could buy one for.

If the high ISO capabilities of the 6D2 would have been a full stop better than the 6D, then I would have valued the 6D2 at around $1250, and I think I would have been able to get one for that figure on the used market. So yes, the lack of sensor improvement ultimately caused me to buy a used 6D instead of a used 6D mark 2.

Everyone should come up with a dollar value on what a camera's capabilities and features will be worth to them, and then stick to their guns when making the final decision. . It would be foolhardy to overpay for improvements that cost more than what they're worth to you.

It isn't just about getting a camera that meets one's needs. . It's much more complicated - some of us need to suck every possible bit of value and usefulness that we possibly can for each and every dollar that we spend. . Which camera we end up buying really is a big deal, because the amount of money that we have (or don't have) left over after making the purchase will have a big effect on our lives for quite some time after the purchase is made.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Feb 09, 2018 10:32 |  #12

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate everyone's input.

My main considerations were the sensor size, the 6.5 fps and the weather sealing. The articulating screen will be handy at times, I guess, but I can't imagine using it a lot. Touch screen? Meh. I've shot since the mid-70's without a touch screen. Can't see me suddenly needing it now.

I called Canon and confirmed that the batteries and the battery grip for the 6D can be used on the MKII. I like having a grip and will buy another eventually. In the meantime, budgetary considerations tell me to wait since the 6D grip can be used on the MKII.

I pulled the trigger on the MKII last night. It'll be here Wednesday...

My Current Line-Up

normware
Joined Apr 2014
Ottawa Canada
Feb 09, 2018 12:08 |  #13

Road Dog wrote in post #18560010 (external link)
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate everyone's input.

I called Canon and confirmed that the batteries and the battery grip for the 6D can be used on the MKII. I like having a grip and will buy another eventually. In the meantime, budgetary considerations tell me to wait since the 6D grip can be used on the MKII.

I pulled the trigger on the MKII last night. It'll be here Wednesday...

Seriously? The grip from the 6d can be used? great news as I thought they look very similar.

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Feb 10, 2018 10:27 |  #14

normware wrote in post #18560101 (external link)
Seriously? The grip from the 6d can be used? great news as I thought they look very similar.

Yup, that's the word I got from Canon...

My Current Line-Up

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Feb 17, 2018 21:17 as a reply to Road Dog's post |  #15

So, I've come to learn that the grip from the 6D will NOT fit the MKII...

My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

1,560 views & 20 likes for this thread
6D MKII OWNERS: BOTTOM LINE?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.