Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 21:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

JPG previews look over sharpened straight out of camera?

Cream of the Crop
5,478 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 25 days ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)
Feb 20, 2018 16:53 |  #31

traciyosh wrote in post #18566203 (external link)
That makes sense. Honestly, wishing I could upgrade to 5d3 or 4, but the 2 was my dream camera when I bought it, so I'll just have to make do for now.

I'm still learning the best settings for the look I'm going for. I want light and airy photos that are beautifully backlit, and I only recently learned the warmth and reflectiveness of the ground/surroundings will influence how bright the subject is. Last time I shot with far too low of an ISO and the noise was worse than it is at 1250. I read somewhere that if you try to shoot low ISO, you get MORE density of noise than if you just bump it up. So now I'm trying to find the right balance, and in the meantime I went to the opposite extreme. f/3.5 is my favorite so far for background blur, so just been trying to nail down the perfect exposure otherwise. Any tips are definitely appreciated, I've been absorbing everything mentioned in this entire thread:)

Above and beyond the annoyance of having moiré show up in specific situations, the EXIF data, combined with your description of why you chose the camera settings you did, indicate that you might want to 1) consider learning more about exposure, specifically raw exposure for your camera, and 2) consider using a flash, with a light modifier, for fill light.

If you want to produce images similar to those on the internet with a lot of backlight, you will have to learn how to compress the tonal range of the scene so that your background remains under control but your subjects are not just an underexposed black blob buried in shadowy noise. The 5DII does ok up to about ISO 800, possibly 1600, before noise starts to critically damage the image. In the backlit situation, your subject will be subject to the vagaries of noise and that is not helpful to the most important part of the image! Fill flash will help bring the exposure up on the subject while still permitting the background to be backlit, but retain information. You get the nice hair light effect, but still have plenty of data for the subject's face, etc. A light modifier that diffuses the harsh flash light will soften that splash of fill to help with flattering modeling. Of course you can also use reflectors and other passive elements to get extra light in there, whatever works best for your style.

I am in no way affiliated with MagMod products, but I use them and find them versatile (as a system) and easy to interchange and transport in the field. They also are easy to attach to your equipment and provide a wide range of light modification. The MagBounce is what I am thinking might be helpful for your intended use: …ifiers/products​/magbounce (external link)

Also, raw exposure is different than JPEG exposure, and using the camera's histogram to judge exposure is not precise (it is based not the JPEG image, subject to the various picture styles set up in camera). A very useful tool to explore your camera's raw exposure capabilities is Raw Digger:

https://www.rawdigger.​com (external link)

Take a look at their website for various videos and write ups about raw exposure and JPEG versus raw exposure. Because you are trying to walk the tightrope of exposure with a very contrasty lighting scheme, you need to be absolutely spot-on when setting your exposure to preserve your highlights and get the best exposure on your subject. Once you get this nailed down, your post-processing will be a lot more straightforward, with fewer steps dedicated to tweaking noise reduction and white balance.

Even if you are not going for that super dramatic fully backlit shot, using the sun as a hair light is a great way to add a portrait light to your scene for free. There are a TON of terrific videos on the Sekonic website, or produced by Skeonic that talk about balancing flash with daylight for portraits. Google "Joe Brady Sekonic" for in-depth videos that cover this topic.

Good luck,

Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Feb 2018
Feb 24, 2018 18:19 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #32

Just coming back from a short vacation. I appreciate this a lot! I've been shooting dark with the mentality that it's easier to lighten a dark image in post than darken a light image. All I'm learning from the light & airy photographers whose education I've bought says to shoot as close to the final image as possible, so I'm biting my nails and planning on doing that for my next shoot.

Thanks for all your advice! I'm overwhelmed (just with everything), but eager to learn.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,361 views & 3 likes for this thread
JPG previews look over sharpened straight out of camera?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.