Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 23:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Comment on my new home page's copy

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by icor1031. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 09, 2018 23:09 |  #1

May I get input on my paragraphs, on this page?

https://idealportraits​.com (external link)

Thanks!

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 10, 2018 00:11 |  #2

but I don't do couples posing...

Why not? Seems like you're missing out on a money making opportunity.

Great photography, btw.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 10, 2018 00:18 |  #3

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18560445 (external link)
but I don't do couples posing...

Why not? Seems like you're missing out on a money making opportunity.

Great photography, btw.

What about my home page, though? Not the sessions link.

Thanks for your compliment!

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 10, 2018 00:44 |  #4

I like your writing, it has an open and honest feel. Especially the paragraphs about portrait style and picture edits. It provides potential clients with an understanding of your goals as a photographer. They know what to expect from their photography session.

Your essay combined with sample photos make a winning combo, me thinks.

But I'm still puzzled as to why no couple photography. Maybe that will come later?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by icor1031. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 10, 2018 00:46 |  #5

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18560456 (external link)
I like your writing, it has an open and honest feel. Especially the paragraphs about portrait style and picture edits. It provides potential clients with an understanding of your goals as a photographer. They know what to expect from their photography session.

Your essay combined with sample photos make a winning combo, me thinks.

But I'm still puzzled as to why no couple photography. Maybe that will come later?

Thank you, sir!

Legal risk, but I prefer not to get into that - it'll derail my thread.

scokar
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
Calgary, Canada
Feb 10, 2018 00:47 |  #6

nice clean design, nice images

The 'wall of text' - move most of that into the 'about' page.

The landing/home page should get to the point immediately.

good job.

Dusty
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Dusty.
Feb 10, 2018 01:00 |  #7

You need to work on your grammar.
When using conjunctions like 'and' or 'but' don't precede them with a comma.
Don't start sentences with 'and' or 'but'.
Also you're using too many commas in the wrong places.

Dusty

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 10, 2018 01:12 |  #8

Dusty wrote in post #18560466 (external link)
You need to work on your grammar.

Dusty

http://www.getitwriteo​nline.com ...032601startsentandb​ut.htm (external link)

I'll check my commas, though! Thanks.

Dusty
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Sydney, Australia
Feb 10, 2018 01:45 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #9

Good luck with it then.
There are exceptions to those rules I posted but they're limited.
I won't bother commenting further though since you don't seem to comprehend even the link you posted.

Also:
"I'll check my commas, though! Thanks."

You're still fragmenting your sentences with unnecessary commas.

Dusty

:-)

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 12 days ago by icor1031.
Feb 10, 2018 02:00 as a reply to Dusty's post |  #10

Removed my comment - getting derailed.

teekay
Goldmember
2,716 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Feb 10, 2018 10:55 |  #11

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18560456 (external link)
I like your writing, it has an open and honest feel. Especially the paragraphs about portrait style and picture edits. It provides potential clients with an understanding of your goals as a photographer. They know what to expect from their photography session....Your essay combined with sample photos make a winning combo, me thinks....

I agree with Frank but if you are nitpicking then just remove the exclamation marks.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,163 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Feb 11, 2018 01:33 |  #12

Doesn't sound very sophisticated or particularly professional. It both rambles and wanders. Will it appeal to your target audience? Perhaps.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 11 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 11, 2018 14:45 |  #13

Reworked...reorganized to elmination some of the rambling that some have mentioned.

My name is Jerrad Johnson, a local photographer serving Rapid City, SD, and the surrounding area. I opened Ideal Portraits in ’14. I’m happy with my work only when it has lasting value. That is what drives me, and that’s good news for you!

I consider my portrait style to be traditional; I’ve been told that my models appear “living.” And I take that as a compliment! You can learn a little about my personality from my portfolio. Similarly, your friends should see your personality in your portraits! You’re unique, and I encourage you to let that shine in your pictures!

You are my main subject; I want to show you in your best light. When we work together, I’ll focus on your posture, gaze, and your smile! Browse my galleries. Although I remove blemishes that you do not opt to keep, I try to keep your skin’s texture. I want you to appear real, not like a porcelain doll. For your photo session, choose outfits that best describe your personality, and choose props are important to you and show your likes or dislikes, your goals or achievements. Find poses you like and want to try. Or just tell me what personality you want to portray – playful, serious, happy, professional. I’ll help you achieve it.

If you have a suggestion or an idea, please share. This is your shoot more than it’s my shoot! Your pictures represent your life...they’ll go into your picture album to share with your children and grandchildren. Don't get too stressed about all of this though. If you come to me with nothing more specific than a desire for portraits, you'll get my creativity and quality work! This is what I do, and you can let me worry about the details.

Lose this, it adds no particular value, or it makes you sound like a beginner or equipment nerd:

I won’t forget about the other details. My picture edits are mild –

I’m also technically minded, and I use that to help create life-likeness in my pictures by understanding and using some of the best gear in the market.

But, I’m still learning.And I hope I’ll never stop learning! But,

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,296 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 11 days ago by welshwizard1971.
Feb 11, 2018 15:20 |  #14

More text than photo's, if I was looking at a photographers website, I'd expect to be slapped in the face by some some great examples of their work, even when I go hunting for some good examples, they're not that big, not big enough for me to see how good they are. But, that's me, I'm a nerd, but, I'm no pixel peeper either, but at the least I'd expect a pic from a pro to be sharp as a minimum, I'd expect most people would, but some of your pics I can't really tell. I've no doubt they are, so shout about it, really show how good you are.........

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,024 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Feb 11, 2018 16:01 |  #15

Dusty wrote in post #18560466 (external link)

Excuse me, but I have decades of experience as a copy editor, and the advice you posted is wrong. Whether a comma should precede "and" or "but" depends on sentence structure. Compound sentences need that comma unless the clauses are short and similar. Starting a sentence with "and" or "but" is all right these days, although it's awkward in some places and it can be overdone.

"Also" shouldn't be used to introduce an independent clause. Wrong: "Also two employees of the defendant testified in his behalf." Acceptable: "Also testifying for the defense were two of Smith's employees."

Dusty wrote in post #18560484 (external link)
"I'll check my commas, though! Thanks."

You're still fragmenting your sentences with unnecessary commas.

The comma is needed to set off "though."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

693 views & 13 likes for this thread
Comment on my new home page's copy
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.