Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 11 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to Nikon D750 or D810?

JMarro
94 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 11, 2018 17:06 |  #1

Hello all,

I will try to make this a relatively short post since I assume these threads get a bit repetitive.

I have shot with a Nikon D90 followed by a D5100 for about 9 years now and have been thinking of upgrading to FF for about 4 years and never pulled the trigger. I shoot mostly landscapes, but also am a casual shooter for wildlife, nature, portraits, etc. I have gone back and forth between the D750 and D810 for quite some time, so I know the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I plan to either purchase a refurbished D750 or used D810. This should be similar in price depending on the condition of the D810, since I am hesitant to purchase a used D750 due to the history of recalls on this camera. Maybe I am overthinking this a bit too much though?

The main advantage of the D750 for me is the tilt screen, however, I still plan to purchase a device capable of wireless controlling and live view tethering from my phone, regardless of the camera I get. The one concern I have about the D810 is the file size. I have a relatively old, home built computer (i5 3.30 GHz, 8 GB ram, NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti (1 GB video memory) , 120 GB SSD, 1 TB disk drive). My process flow is through LR and PS. Does anyone think I will have issues handling the files from the D810?

I do not expect that the D750 and D810 will have significantly different image quality. My thoughts were that getting the D810 would allow me to have more MP if I go into DX mode for wildlife, etc. Other than that, if the prices are going to be similar, I suspect the D810 should be a no-brainer for my type of photography.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,
JMarro

flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/jmar​ro (external link)
https://gurushots.com/​jmarro/photos (external link)

Silver-Halide
776 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 12, 2018 15:33 |  #2

Get a used D800E and upgrade your computer ;-)a

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,833 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 12, 2018 15:51 |  #3

I've shot both. Oddly I much preferred the D700 to the D750. I really didn't like what they did with the button layout on the D750. I think the best case scenario is to get your hands on both and give them a try but if you can't it is tough to go wrong with the D810. Aftermarket prices are stable so even if you feel you made the wrong choice your only loss will likely be the time to list it and a few bucks of shipping. Adding more RAM to your setup probably wouldn't hurt but I think you'll get by with it. Best of luck.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
774 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 13, 2018 12:21 |  #4

I think it would be a mistake to let your current computer dictate what camera you buy. You may come to regret that decision years from now when you revisit a current photo to process.

However, if you want to see how your computer handles D810 RAW files let me know, I can give you a few to play with.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

JMarro
THREAD ­ STARTER
94 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 11, 2018 10:33 |  #5

Thank you all for your feedback. I decided to go with the D810 and an ultra wide IRIX 15mm f/2.4. I have attached the first few shots I have taken with it. I am still learning the camera but am very happy with the image quality in comparison to my previous camera. I also find several of the features have made landscape shots more efficient for me.

Thanks again,
JMarro

flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/jmar​ro (external link)
https://gurushots.com/​jmarro/photos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

522 views & 2 likes for this thread
Upgrading to Nikon D750 or D810?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.