Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 21:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can't log in on my phone

Kasrielle
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Sunshine Coast BC, Canada
Feb 13, 2018 21:39 |  #1

I keep getting locked out even though I KNOW it's the right password. So I come onto my computer here and change my password - sure enough - the website on my phone says it's wrong and locks me out again! I'm on an iphone 6s+ if that makes any difference. What should I do?

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 17, 2018 13:02 |  #2

Kasrielle wrote in post #18563272 (external link)
I keep getting locked out even though I KNOW it's the right password. So I come onto my computer here and change my password - sure enough - the website on my phone says it's wrong and locks me out again! I'm on an iphone 6s+ if that makes any difference. What should I do?

Kimberly,

I feel bad for you that you posted this request for help 4 days ago, and no one has responded yet.

I don't really know much of anything about the nuts & bolts of POTN's login process and how it id programmed to work. . Nor do I know much about logging into POTN from a cell phone, because I prefer to only visit POTN from my nice big home computer where I can see things nice and big and clear.

However, even though I am not really qualified to offer advice because of my lack of knowledge, I will attempt to offer some help anyway, simply because no one has yet done so.

So here goes:

If I were in your shoes, what I would do first would be to do a "hard reset" on my phone. . If you don't know how to do that, then one of these videos will guide you:
https://www.youtube.co​m ...o+hard+reset+iphone​+6s%2B (external link)

If that doesn't work, then I would ask a friend if I could use their cell phone to try to login to POTN with. . If you can log in to POTN with your friend's phone, then that at least tells you that the problem is specific to your phone or to your phone's operating system. . Or maybe the browser you are using on your phone.

If you try to log in with a friends phone, and it doesn't work, then I would ask another friend to use their phone. . This would be done to try to eliminate as many variables as possible. . I think that the variables that you should try to eliminate are:

- the browser you are using on your phone

- your phone's operating system

- your phone specifically, with respect to any glitches that it might have (although the hard reset may remove the glitches)

- your phone specifically, with respect to any settings that may be inadvertently affecting your ability to log in to POTN

That's all I've got. . I hope that one of these things works for you. . Wish I could be more helpful - I realize that all of my suggestions are probably things that you've already tried.

It would be nice if you check back in to this thread to let us know how this issue is going for you. . If it is resolved, then I would like to know what you did that finally worked and allowed you to get back in to POTN.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,710 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Feb 17, 2018 13:26 |  #3

If you can log into POTN on your home computer, there is no reason at all that you should not be able to log in to POTN even without using a phone app but simply use the standard browser access to the web!

I log in with my phone to get onto POTN to idle the time away (like if waiting for my name/number to be called) and do not use any special app to get into POTN, I simply use my Chrome browser, just like I do on my home computers.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 1 day ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 17, 2018 13:37 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #4

Tom, a hard reset is one of the last things to do, and not recommended unless all else fails. It is more intended to fix deep underlying issues, not software problems.

One thing that I recommend, and do myself, is to occasionally quit all open programs and restart the phone. I do this weekly (sometimes) even if things are running fine. It not only clears up a lot of problems, it will help reduce data and battery use from background apps.

Beyond that, as wilt said, this is probably not an issue with the forum. I am posting this from an iPhone SE that is virtually identical to the 6, but in a smaller package.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 17, 2018 13:44 |  #5

Kasrielle wrote in post #18563272 (external link)

Only other thing that comes to mind is if you are using an odd character in your password, maybe it is not encoded properly from the phone. Try only alpha numeric characters if the quit > restart doesn't work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:15 |  #6

Thanks for your input, everyone. I've closed all programs, cleared my cashe, and restarted my phone. No go. I've tried to sign in using my husband's phone. No go. Immediately I get a pop up saying my credentials are wrong. My password is only letters and numbers. My caps lock is not on. Unless my user name is not Kasrielle, I don't know what to do...

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:16 |  #7

And I should say that this is not a new issue for me. I've never been able to sign in from any phone since the new website was launched years ago.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 17, 2018 14:27 |  #8

Are you blocking cookies on your phone? The forum requires you to accept a couple of cookies for it to know who you are.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:28 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #9

I'm hitting ok to the cookies pop up on the site - is that enough? Is there another place where I need to indicate that I accept cookies?

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:34 |  #10

And I've gone into settings and block cookies in Safari is turned off...

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Feb 17, 2018 14:37 |  #11

Normally a phone will accept cookies. You have go go in the settings and tell it not to accept cookies. Because of this to accept cookies it has to be done in the settings.

It is usually under privacy settings but varies by the operating system and the browser. I set mine to accept first party but not to accept third party.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:42 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #12

The phone is accepting cookies.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 1 day ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Feb 17, 2018 14:44 |  #13

Kasrielle wrote in post #18566100 (external link)
And I should say that this is not a new issue for me. I've never been able to sign in from any phone since the new website was launched years ago.

Hmm.

I was locked out on all devices after the change to the new software. The problem was caused because I had an apostrophe in my user name. The new software allows apostrophes, but for whatever reason would not import the old user name with apostrophes.

I'm going to reverse what I said before and now think that it is probably something with the forum software.

Do you live somewhere that your operating system might be set up with a different language?

If not, have you changed your password and tried it again?

Kasrielle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Feb 17, 2018 14:48 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #14

It's weird, right? I'm in Canada - no language issue. And I changed my password via the computer, to make sure I was using the right one.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 17, 2018 14:54 |  #15

Yes, weird.

Now that we have gone through some the other possibilities, maybe Pekka will drop in and check out your log-in credentials. The fact that it happened on the changeover is pretty strong evidence.

sponsored links

184 views & 9 likes for this thread
Can't log in on my phone
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.