Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 18 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a68 Vs. a77ii

ShutterKlick
186 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 18, 2018 23:44 |  #1

All,
I feel confident I can get some good responses from the membership here, so I have a few questions I could use some help with.

Ive been researching both the a68 and a77ii.

Both cameras fit in my budget, but if I select the a68 I will have more to spend on additional lens.
(I have zero Sony gear now, currently with Nikon)

My primary goal is shooting people, mostly portraits.. also SOME sports.

The 4D tracking of the two AFAIK are equal, however I do not need (but do want!) the 12fps
that the a77ii has.

Of greater desire is the focus modes and quality that the a77ii has, and I am wondering if
the a68 duplicates that performance and features.

The object tracking and eye focus are what I think would be more beneficial than the
extra bells & whistles that the 77 has.

If the 68 can rub shoulders with the 77 in the focus features and performance department
I would be smart to settle on that and use the extra money on additional glass.

Yes, I know... neither are full frame, and neither are flagship models. I really do
have a tight budget so please dont suggest upgrades in camera bodies. These
two cameras are my primary interest.

Having said that, Im an SLR guy and love the SLR format so naturally the 68 and 77
are very attractive to me. The A6300... I would possibly entertain that camera
but have no hands on experience with ANY of these cameras.

Also please advise the 68 and 77 have high speed sync (or whatever the mode
may be called for Sony).

AFAIK the 68 and 77 both have focus peaking, very desirable.

AFAIK the 68 and 77 both have IBIS, very desirable.

If I did start off with the 68, then (AFAIK) all the lens will function 100%
on teh 77 if I upgrade later. Correct?

Anything else I may be missing, Id welcome your feedback!

I am frustrated with my 5300, agn... not a flagship camera. Been looking to
upgrade to the D7200 for deeper buffer and HSS. The focus performance on
the 7200 is better (as I read) than the 5300, but features are not much better.

To stay Nikon and upgrade to a camera that has REAL feature and performance
upgrade, I'd have to go D500 (Im fine with APS-C cameras, really...)

For the money I'd spend on the D500 body, I can get a 77ii, and two lens for
$150-$200 more and put the D5300 and lens on ebay.

In the end, agn from what Ive seen on youtube.. etc.. the D500 is still way
behind in features and performance of the 77ii.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any help!!

Kind regards,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 22, 2018 19:38 |  #2

Any Sony people left on the forum?

Bump?

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2018 00:25 |  #3

Hello, Andrew. I've been all over the board with cameras over the past seven years or so, and I hope some of this helps.

I went using a 60D for sports to using an A77 and it was a major step up in IQ and AF. AF tracking was perhaps a push.

I upgraded to an A77ii shorty after when I caught a great refurbished deal online. I used this body for for spring training baseball, some college football from the stands and for wildlife. It was a very good camera for me, but I never felt the upgrade was a giant improvement. My focus tracking was was slightly better than its predecessor, IQ slightly cleaner at middle ISO range.

I now have an a99ii and it is a great body, but physically it is incredibly similar to the a77ii.

The a77ii gives you more FPS and a metal mount vs the plastic of the a68. If you aren't going to use heavy lenses, the a68 will be a good buy. Bang-for-buck it is a good buy.

All that said, I enjoyed using my a6000 quite a bit more than my A77ii. The AF and frame rate were a push, but the a6000 is so much smaller/lighter. Battery life if is close if you don't turn off the rear screen review on the a77ii. Had I not ended up with a Minolta 200 2.8 prime as a result of a failed experiment with the LA-EA4 and e-mount bodies I would probably never have tried a-mount. Glad I did, but the body is four-year-old tech and holding close to its introduction price. Crazy.

I've seen used d800 and d610 the same price or lower than the a77ii new. If you are happy with the Nikon brand, maybe give full frame a try? EVF and I Is is nice, but only you can decide if Sony is for you. Any recent FF Nikon puts out a cleaner image than any a-mount body can due to the translucent mirror. The flip side, the a-mount will beat all except the D850 in AF--but the a99ii puts up a great fight.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 24, 2018 11:14 |  #4

Thanks for the follow up, I may just get an a68 and test the waters of a Sony camera.

Take care,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2018 17:33 as a reply to  @ ShutterKlick's post |  #5

The price to performance ration on that a68 is tough to beat.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 25, 2018 22:23 |  #6

Have you actually used a 68? I am curious if the 4D on the 68 can hold a candle to like the a77ii.. eye focus, face detection, tracking are my #1 desire over frame rate or deep buffer.

Thx,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2018 22:32 as a reply to  @ ShutterKlick's post |  #7

I have not, and I don't know anyone who has used an a68.

Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Feb 25, 2018 23:45 |  #8

Thank you for your honest report. In the US it appears it is for sale... but hardly any (none?) Youtube reviews from a US owner.

I might take the chance and roll the dice..

Ill follow up here if I do.

Thanks agn,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 26, 2018 21:00 |  #9

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18572346 (external link)
Thank you for your honest report. In the US it appears it is for sale... but hardly any (none?) Youtube reviews from a US owner.

I might take the chance and roll the dice..

Ill follow up here if I do.

Thanks agn,
Andrew

Please do follow up--I'm definitely interested to hear what you end up doing and how you feel about it.

Sony has released so many interesting bodies on both A and E mount over the last 18 months, there seems to be something I like about all of them.

Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Mar 04, 2018 19:52 |  #10

Still trying to figure out what to do..

It looks like A mount glass is much more abundant. Given that I can use the 3 adapter on the A6300 and A mount glass and still use all the AF points, if I am reading correctly.

Still trying to compare to D7200.. I really like the eye AF that Sony has, and the 4D focus.. But if I just got a D7200 Ive already got glass, flashes and flash controller.. I really need the HSS the 7200 offers in order to get the pictures I am wanting to shoot.

Then there is the D500, but $1,500 is a big leap. D500 Vs. Sony anything, even at $1500 for the D500, Id come out "ahead", not having to buy any additional glass or strobes. I would spend a minimum of $1,500 on an A6300 and enough lens to cover what Ive already got... then I still need a new flash controller (Godox)!!

Decisions.. Decisions.

I am thinking about renting before buying..

Ill update when I have an update. :-)

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by mickeyb105.

Mar 04, 2018 22:28 |  #11

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18577716 (external link)
Still trying to figure out what to do..

It looks like A mount glass is much more abundant. Given that I can use the 3 adapter on the A6300 and A mount glass and still use all the AF points, if I am reading correctly.

Still trying to compare to D7200.. I really like the eye AF that Sony has, and the 4D focus.. But if I just got a D7200 Ive already got glass, flashes and flash controller.. I really need the HSS the 7200 offers in order to get the pictures I am wanting to shoot.

Then there is the D500, but $1,500 is a big leap. D500 Vs. Sony anything, even at $1500 for the D500, Id come out "ahead", not having to buy any additional glass or strobes. I would spend a minimum of $1,500 on an A6300 and enough lens to cover what Ive already got... then I still need a new flash controller (Godox)!!

Decisions.. Decisions.

I am thinking about renting before buying..

Ill update when I have an update. :-)

Andrew

Andrew, just a few things regarding the LA-EA3 adapter.
--It will work great on the a6300 if you are using A-mount lenses with an SSM motor. The A-mount lenses using SSM usually are clearly marked as such.
--If you are using Tam/Sigma A-mount glass, I have no idea.
--If you are using A-mount glass with the "screwdrive" motor then the LA-EA3 will be pure MF on any e-mount body.

I shot my a6000 alongside my a77ii only a handful of times, but here is one example:

Not a fair fight with the a6000 shooting a stop slower, but that AF was every bit the equal of the a77ii. I also thought it was not quite a 1/2 stop better at high ISO, and also cleaned up slightly better in PP. The a77ii struggles at ISO 6400 with no DXO Prime Denoising software. With the software, it helps out quite a bit.

here are some examples at ISO 3200

ISO 6400, with DXO Prime the a77ii can pull of some keepers for sure.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/32774293663_a86c0c3d91_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …663/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
rcjn0117 (external link) by sanddan4u (external link) on Flickr

a77ii in "normal" conditions has definite moments of glory

Would I get a D7200 instead if I had Nikon glass? Maybe. I do love EVF, so even with the savings on the Nikon it would probably be a coin-flip.

Would I rather get the A6300 with the 55 1.8 and one or two other lenses even with more cost? Probably. The AF is better and it's ability to take Canon/Nikon/A-mount Sony glass is much better. The wieght/size savings if you are using primes is fantastic. And IMO, the sony 16-50 PZ kit lens isn't bad!

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/773/23202332444_187ceb34e2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …444/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)

The reality is that all three cameras are very good. The Nikon offers price savings and the least amount of gear changing, with no sacrifice in IQ/battery life/handling whatsoever and really good AF. The a77ii gives you a DSLR-sized body with EVF, in-body stabilization (about 2 stops IRL) and high FPS. The a6300 gives you size/weight savings, the best AF, the worst handling and battery performance, less ruggedness and weather sealing and an expensive/small (but good!) stable of lenses.

I do miss the portability of the a6000 and a7r, even though I don't regret selling those bodies plus the a77ii to finance the a99ii.

Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Mar 06, 2018 17:23 |  #12

Eye AF, one of the major factors in wanting to go Sony, for both the A58 and A77II, is only available in AF-S mode.

Therefore I am investigating if the A6300 can do Eye AF in both AF-S and AF-C modes. Ill report back my confirmation,
I have read the manual and it says Eye AF cannot be used in Manual Focus mode (doah!), but makes no mention to AF-C.

If Im going to change, its going to be all the features functioning in the methods I want and need, which means Eye AF in AF-C too!

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 06, 2018 19:53 as a reply to  @ ShutterKlick's post |  #13

For what it is worth, I was consistently happier with my a6000 images than any other body I have ever had (D40, 60D,T4i, 6D, a7r, a77, A77ii and a99ii were the others). The AF never seem to let me down and the IQ really surprised me even after a year of regular use.

The last one, taken while driving through Valley of Fire Park just north of Las Vegas, was severely underexposed. I shoot everything in RAW, so I goosed the exposure about four stops.

My FF Sony bodies have/had superior IQ, but the a6000 was more fun to run and gun with. I have no doubt the a6300 is even better.

Flickr (external link)

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Mar 06, 2018 21:07 |  #14

Thank you Mickey, you have been very helpful!

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 1 month ago by ShutterKlick.

Mar 17, 2018 20:16 |  #15

My head is spinning!

I continue to search in the Sony line, for the 4D focus system appears to provide exactly what I want in my next camera.

Thinking aloud, and wishing for reflection:

A6000 - Inexpensive, uses the E mount lens, a large number of focus points, Eye AF - But no IBIS

A6300 - Middle expensive, uses the E mount lens, a HUGE number of focus points, Eye AF - But no IBIS

A77II - Middle+ expensive, uses the A mount lens which several are to choose from, medium number of focus points
Has IBIS, fast FPS, Eye AF

A68 - Inexpensive, uses the A mount lens which several are to choose from, medium number of focus points,
has IBIS, medium-fast FPS, Eye AF

A7 - *full frame!* - Middle + expensive, great price for FF sensor! Uses the FE mount to capture full 24mp. 4D focus, Eye AF.
Downside: FE lens are pretty cost prohibitive for my transition. Does NOT appear to have a very high focus point count.

So, all my picks have: 4D focus and Eye AF.

The two affordable options are the A6000 and A68.

I have a Lumix G3 which is the most similar size to the A6000/A6300 to anything I have handled before, and its a nice
knock around camera but for SERIOUS work, which is my focus.. (excuse the pun), the SLR type body is what I prefer
the most.

This narrows the field to: A7, A77II and A68.

Since the A7 lens will elevate my transition cost to the prohibitive level I am now looking at A77II and A68.

Since the A77II has "no" significant advantage over the A68 as far as the camera is concerned, the A68
is looking to be the wiser $$ choice that will give me the biggest boost in performance and features over
my current Nikon D5300 and even the considered D7200 for upgrade.

A68 pitfalls: My D5300 has a super slick twisty screen that I *love*, but very few makers, even Nikon,
has retained. the A68 does at least have a flippy screen. Not sure if the A68 higher ISO images have
higher noise or not, I can run 6400 ISO on my D5300 and with P.S. noise filters end up looking really
good (cant tell it in print either way). A68 does not have touch screen, Im only seeing this on the
A6500 which due to price is not a player.

A77II pitfalls: Initial investment in the camera body, 2014 release date. Its nice to have the flippy &
twisty screen, but.. I could live without it, not a deal breaker for the A68.

A68 Lens selection: When looking for lens on ebay for example, I am finding what I want in the
A mount lens for seriously less money than the E or EF mount. I am curious though, will features
like the Eye AF work with a screw focus motor lens? (Should have similar/same behavior of the A77II??)

At this point, I am giving my greatest consideration to the A68 with dual kit lens
https://www.amazon.com …s&keywords=sony​+a68&psc=1 (external link)
The kit lens will perform "well enough" until I can upgrade them.

For my portrait work, one lens I want is the 35mm f1.8 (budget), which will give me the bokah
I want and the ~50mm eq
https://www.amazon.com …8-8&keywords=a+mount+35m​m (external link)

For portrait work, the other lens I want is a 50mm f1.8 (budget) which will give me the bokah
I want and the ~75mm eq
https://www.amazon.com …8-7&keywords=a+mount+50m​m (external link)

All this is DOABLE on my budget limit.

Even though the A68 is an SLT camera (Yes, I know about the 1/3 f light loss), it does have "mirrorless like"
performance that I am drooling for, in the frame and body I prefer, with the features and performance
I need to advance to the next level.

The things that tickle my fancy are:
4D focus with great object tracking
Eye AF (for toddlers that wont sit still)
Focus peaking and manual magnification which will make manual focus a joy
(rather than the pure pain that I experience with Nikon)
HSS = improved outdoor portraits (my specialty) and creative lighting

I can "upgrade" to the A77II later and still use all the kit I gathered.
If I upgrade to the A99V (after hitting the lottery!) I can use all the kit I gathered.

I am looking for your thoughts and ideas on the matter. If money were no object,
I would likely just buy one of each, of everything.. and be happy. :-)

Thanks,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links

1,345 views & 12 likes for this thread
a68 Vs. a77ii
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.