Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 06 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SS external drives?

MrWasabi
40 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 06, 2018 13:32 |  #1

What's everyone using? I'm eyeballing adding one. I'd like to use it for music storage as well as pics/videos.

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

sponsored links
shocolite
173 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 08, 2018 04:35 |  #2

If you have USB C - I would go again for another Samsung T5. Amazing fast compared to USB 3.0 and so compact and light. The higher cost factor is the only trade-off but for me it is well worth the money for the extremely fast write speed.

Canon 80D, 700D & G7 X; EF-S 10-18/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

tim
Light Bringer
50,916 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 08, 2018 22:49 |  #3

What does SS stand for?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,878 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2018 22:56 |  #4

tim wrote in post #18580817 (external link)
What does SS stand for?

It always puzzles me why people use abbreviations for things that aren't that long to spell out.

I like the "proper" way of abbreviating - when you spell it out the first time that you mention it, then each time thereafter it is okay to use an abbreviation. . When people just use the abbreviation, and never spell it out - not even once anywhere in the entire post - it leaves some of us with no idea, or a very uncertain idea, of what they are talking about.

I thought that the OP could have meant, "solid state", but am not really sure.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by sheawyatt.

Mar 09, 2018 00:16 |  #5

I run a pair of Crucial MX500 1TB SSD as my external library and backup of said library. I use a USB 3.1 —> SATA cable which allows me to use the drives without any enclosure. The drives are stored in silicon sleeves.

The Crucials are about $100 cheaper than the Samsung T5, for the same speed and storage. That being said, if I had USB C on my computer I would probably go with native USB-C drives for the size and convenience if they were closer in cost.

I slowly transitioned from spinning disks but now that I no longer have any external hard drives that aren’t SSD, I am so glad I bit the bullet and switched. Price per GB is higher yes, but it is no longer a hassle to run a backup on the fly, or move images from my computer drive to the external. Time is money!

X-T2 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 01:20 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18580822 (external link)
It always puzzles me why people use abbreviations for things that aren't that long to spell out.

I like the "proper" way of abbreviating - when you spell it out the first time that you mention it, then each time thereafter it is okay to use an abbreviation. . When people just use the abbreviation, and never spell it out - not even once anywhere in the entire post - it leaves some of us with no idea, or a very uncertain idea, of what they are talking about.

Phone texting caused that laziness/bad assumption that everyone else knows what your abbreviation means.
DYKWIM?

:p

I just buy quality SSDs, and then put them into separate external enclosures which I buy.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

arthurbikemad
90 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 2 months ago by arthurbikemad. (3 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 02:45 |  #7

My spelling and grammar is awful! I used auto correct twice in that first statement, but cold fingers are to blame ;)

As someone who has spent the last 30+ years with PC's etc I would often chuckle at those who could spell much better than I but failed to understand any geek/tech speak, I say chuckle in that I would make the assumption that they should just know given many of those people I knew were far better educated than me. For example it makes me laugh how many people don't understand the very basic terms like bits and bytes, ATA, PATA, SATA (meaning: Serial Advanced Technology Attachment), USB and so on, new USB ports are now labeled SS, it simply means SuperSpeed v3.0(625mbp/s) and SS+ for v3.1, v3.0 is around 10x faster than the old v2.0 at 5Gbps and now v3.1 at 10Gbps! it can take the form of several different plug and socket types just to confuse things more, oh and some also carry power. I don't think when people are talking about IT its wrong to use abbreviations as they are common place in the industry, sometimes such short terms don't have any other meaning, not that I can think of one haha, text speak on the other hand is just lazy slang that was a result of early number/digit only phone keypads that were a pain to scroll through letters on, the trend never died but manifested itself into today's lazy meaningless jumbo kids take pride in explaining to the parents who buy them such devices!

Any way, the Samsung T5 is a great drive, but here in the UK a 2TB (Terra Byte ;) ) That's 2e+9 kilobyte for those who wan't it old school, drive will cost a whopping £750.00!! At that price you have to ask yourself do you really need that kind of speed! Also for the first time in YEARS this week I had a drive fail, now given that I have old MFM drives that still work it just goes to show...the one that failed is a new SSD!!!!! In my mind SSD drives are now one of the least reliable drives money can buy, going on my personal experience. :(

Useless fact, Samsung just released it's largest SSD to date: A MASSIVE 30.72 TB (external link), now that's a LOT of photos!!!

I hope my joking post does not offend, I am not the best educated person who still struggles to spell and punctuate my posts, I spent most of my youth razzing round on motorcycles.. :) :D and still do....lol

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 03:56 |  #8

RAM

USB

CD

DVD

HDMI

IDE

SCSI

LED

LCD

OEM

RAID

RGB

CMYK

ISO

CCD

CMOS

CPL

GIF

JPG

IS

DSLR

have I made my point? :D you might not know every one of those, but abbreviations have been with us longer than SMS and it's variants, or PDAs and their successors.

SMS is short message service, aka texting

PDA is personal digital assistant, aka Palm Pilot

SS is a less common version of SSD, solid state drive

Essentially the same solid state as RCA labeled their TVs years ago, back when we watched NBC OTA on VHF and everyone had a VHS/VCR to record MGM films on HBO, or even the first space shuttle NASA launches.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MrWasabi
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 09, 2018 05:56 |  #9

Good stuff. Thanks for your excellent input.

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

ThreeHounds
701 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 2 months ago by ThreeHounds.

Mar 09, 2018 08:32 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18580896 (external link)
SS is a less common version of SSD, solid state drive

Could be, but coming from an automotive and aerospace mfg bg(:-D), I see SS as Stainless Steel.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 09, 2018 08:53 |  #11

ThreeHounds wrote in post #18581014 (external link)
automotive

I thought you were going to say Super Sport.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ThreeHounds
701 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 09, 2018 09:01 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #12

Thought about it...

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

MrWasabi
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Mar 2018
Post edited 2 months ago by MrWasabi.

Mar 09, 2018 09:20 |  #13

Thanks everyone,

I do like the Samsung T5 but I think I'll wait for the price to come down a bit. This SanDisk is nice too:
https://www.amazon.com …fRID=MDXBZB459N​5ZW1JQZA5P (external link)

POTN is an excellent forum BTW. ;-)a

I am learning a lot after many years away from the hobby. :-)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,257 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2018 09:26 |  #14

Opened this thread expecting to see Stainless Steel Hard Drives ... guess its the manufacturing/engineer​ing side of me.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,705 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 09, 2018 10:35 |  #15

Political background. Means Schutzstaffel to me.

I surmised by the context that the meaning was intended to be SSD, but the problem is that for a lot of people it took a beat of contextualization to figure out the meaning...when presumably conveying the meaning was the intention.

sponsored links

1,121 views & 21 likes for this thread
SS external drives?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.