Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for AF advice: First airshow with 5D4

treeofliberty
pure sorcery
20 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 11, 2018 11:10 |  #1

I just received my 5D4, stepping up from my 6D. I'll be breaking it in at an airshow at Luke AFB in Phoenix, in one week, using my 100-400 II, and a 1.4x III.

I am interested in any airshow advice for this combination, but I'm specifically looking for AF settings that maximize my keepers. Given the exceptional AF performance, and the lack of obstructions, I was just going to use all the AF points in Servo mode. However, I might be missing some unintended consequences, hence the question here.

Also, for the jets I was going to shoot in shutter priority (1600 for the jets and 160 for the props).

All advice is appreciated. I'd like to do my learning before the show. I've had a couple airshows in the recent years, but now this this sophisticated AF system.

sponsored links
Engineered_Reflex
94 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by Engineered_Reflex.

Mar 11, 2018 11:31 |  #2

It's not a bad idea to use all of the AF points at an airshow for the flying displays, as long as there are few obstructions such as trees and lighting poles as these can be a bit of a pain in this mode. If this turns out to be the case and obstructions keep grabbing your focus then you can always go to a single point with 4 or 8 assistance points which works well for me, especially with slower moving aircraft.

In terms of the AF set up, I've overwritten a preset case with -1 for Tracking Sensitivity to stop obstructions breaking focus lock too quickly, 0 for Accel/Decal Tracking as aircraft are fairly predictable and +2 for auto point switching so that if I'm using all AF points or a zone the active point switched nice and briskly.

In terms of you shutter speeds, 1/160 seems a bit low to me with a 1.4 tc on unless you have particularly steady hands, I tend to use 1/250 for props and only go down to 1/160 when it's a helicopter. I just find this a bit safer, but if you're feeling confident you'll get more prop blur at 1/160. Also 1/1600 is really fast for jets, 1/1000 or 1/1250 are just fine. There's no harm in going up that high though if you have plenty of light.

I hope that helps, you can't go far wrong with the 5D IV. Looking forward to seeing your shots from the show.

Paul

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 7D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF-S 10-18 STM, EF 35mm IS USM, EF 50 f1.8 STM & Sigma 150-600 C
http://www.aviationinc​amera.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,185 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 11, 2018 12:34 |  #3

treeofliberty wrote in post #18582716 (external link)
Also, for the jets I was going to shoot in shutter priority (1600 for the jets and 160 for the props).

Shutter priority? 99% of the time I use manual, & suggest that you read this: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2018 22:37 |  #4

Manual for me too, I would also recommend an incident lightmeter. If you don't want to buy one there is a very good one for both iOS and Android. It has the "analogue" circular scale which I like, so that you can quickly read all shutter/aperture combinations.

For the AF I too would use all points. On my older camera, a 50D, it starts out on the center point anyway, and then follows the subject from there. One thing I really recommend is switching it to AF Drive Off is AF not possible. This will stop the lens from trying to focus if you drop the AF off the aircraft completely, or you get a short obstruction. If you do lose the AC from the AF then the lens will do a full end to end AF rack, and you will completely lose the rest of that pass. I was really happy when I found this setting.

Setting a slow/low tracking sensitivity would also help, it will stop a focus movement for stuff the AF can get a closer reading on, while the drive stops hunting when there is no covered AF point.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

treeofliberty
THREAD ­ STARTER
pure sorcery
20 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 13, 2018 19:10 |  #5

Thanks to all for the help. I'm going to give these a run at the show in a few days, and hope to have some results to post.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 18, 2018 19:08 |  #6

I thought I thought that I had better say that the incident lightmeter app that I use is called LightMeter (external link). I use the free version for Android, but it is also available for iOS too.

Alan

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2018 15:17 |  #7

So how did you get on at the show then? Would love to know.

Alan

sponsored links

852 views & 1 like for this thread
Looking for AF advice: First airshow with 5D4
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.