Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 11 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 12:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whirlpool Galaxy

442 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 5 days ago by naddieuk.
Mar 11, 2018 12:48 |  #1

I have finally managed to photograph a recognisable galaxy. I used a Canon 700D (which I am borrowing) set to ISO 6400 and 23 second exposures. Unfortunately, I was only able to take 30 photos before it went out of my field of view. DeepSkyStacker allowed me to stack 26 photos. I also took flats, darks and bias frames. I used ISO 6400 because I have a Skywatcher EQ3-2 tripod which gives me errors after 90 seconds or so, although it sometimes messes up at 1 minute.

This is something that I never thought would be possible by me. So, it feels wonderful to be able to photograph it. I know that I need to take more lights to reduce the noise produced by using such a high ISO.

Skywatcher Explorer 150P

Thanks for looking.

please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon Powershot S9, Canon EOS 350D.
My Flickr site. (external link)

284 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Mar 13, 2018 05:55 |  #2

Fantastic work! Grerat capture and composition!!!

When you say the tracking messes up, what do you mean? Are you using PHD and it starts beeping and flashing red? I used to only be able to track for 60-90 seconds myself. Turned out my balance was way off and lop sided.

When I swapped out the mounting plate for a longer one and balanced it perfectly I then managed 10min plus subs! Longer if it weren't for light pollution.

- Daniel

2x 50d: with 17-85mm f4-5.6, 100mm Macro USM, 50mm f1.8, 2x Sigma 30mm f1.4, 55-250mm (kit lens), Canon 100-400mm L, Tamron 200-400mm f5.6, Samyang 8mm. 480mm refactor with HEQ5. Home made beamsplitter stereo rig.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

149 views & 8 likes for this thread
Whirlpool Galaxy
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.