Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2018 (Wednesday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very frustrating evening

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 14, 2018 22:07 |  #1

Got my 70-200 2.8 G and 85 1.4 G from the seller. 85 Woudn't focus for a darn and the 70-200 wasn't as tack sharp as I thought it should be. Shot several hundred photos and I was very disappointed. Was about to revert to my Canon stuff for good.

Then I started looking into the issue. My 85 wouldn't focus for nothing in AF-S mode... I researched it and found out that there has been a known issue and the resolution was to update the firmware. Sure enough... it needed updating and as soon as it was done both lenses are tack sharp... focus great... wow.

So.. one final test. Need to do some real world testing at my sons game and gonna give this setup about two weeks and if I'm still impressed then bye bye ALL canon stuff.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,346 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by JeffreyG.

Mar 15, 2018 17:11 |  #2

I'm slower to adapt, slower to change, and slower to make a decision. I also decided to migrate Canon to Sony. But I'm giving myself 6-18 months to really decide.

Admittedly, this means I'm kind of crippling the Sony as I will have just a few native lenses and otherwise I'll be adapting. But this is because one of my drivers is that I'm expecting to be out of the sports shooting game in 18 months, and I'm not really gung-ho to learn a new system and shoot sports with it too.

As I see it, it took me a long time to go from fair to good at shooting sports, and some chunk of that is my comfort in using Canon. I'd not be comfortable in assessing a wholesale change too quickly because the new gear will always be at a disadvantage due to my own ineptitude with it.

So I don't have great advice for you. My own path is different, but I guess I do caution to watch out for the difference between "the camera does this" and "I don't know how to make the camera to this."

So far I'm seeing that in situations I understand, the Sony can be very good. It also sometimes makes me crazy when I can't figure out a setting or don't know how to get it to do something. I think there is a nuance to the AF. Like....the Sony is super flexible and has great software. But it also acts like the AF sensors (despite having 600+ sensor locations) are not cross sensitive and so in some ways worse than Canon. That (IMO) is why it hunts in situations where (to me) it seems like it should not. That's the kind of detail that you can only learn by using and trying.

For now I still own the vast majority of my Canon stuff. I also have to fight off the urge to accelerate the move. Bonus was really good at work this year, and with a spring trip coming up I was super tempted to get a FE 24-70 GM or FE 24-105 G OSS. But why? The stuff I'll be shooting on this trip is landscapes, and the Canon 24-70/2.8 II is going to be perfect for that adapted. So I held off.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,346 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 15, 2018 17:15 |  #3

Hey....one more thing to remember. Your money is making about nothing in any interest bearing account. So it's not a horrible investment to leave your money tied up in Canon gear while you try out the Sony stuff. I know you (Talley) have enough cash in general to run two systems for a while. That's just money that won't be earning you a tidy 0.25% otherwise.

And if you go Canon - Sony - Canon eventually, having left the money in Canon will have been better. The vigorish on trading is a killer.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,221 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 17, 2018 13:22 |  #4

Talley wrote in post #18585871 (external link)
Got my 70-200 2.8 G and 85 1.4 G from the seller. 85 Woudn't focus for a darn and the 70-200 wasn't as tack sharp as I thought it should be. Shot several hundred photos and I was very disappointed. Was about to revert to my Canon stuff for good.

Then I started looking into the issue. My 85 wouldn't focus for nothing in AF-S mode... I researched it and found out that there has been a known issue and the resolution was to update the firmware. Sure enough... it needed updating and as soon as it was done both lenses are tack sharp... focus great... wow.

So.. one final test. Need to do some real world testing at my sons game and gonna give this setup about two weeks and if I'm still impressed then bye bye ALL canon stuff.

I just went through similar with 85 gm..had it boxed up and everything ready to return. Then found out afc is the way to go, glad I took it for one more run of testing , it's am awesome lens

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 24, 2018 14:17 |  #5

Your new avatar and sigline have me a little concerned, talley.

Everything okay?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 24, 2018 14:26 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18593129 (external link)
Your new avatar and sigline have me a little concerned, talley.

Everything okay?

When I first saw the avatar I was concerned the moustache had gone up in flames.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,215 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 24, 2018 14:49 |  #7

He pushed th AF on that poor little Sony so hard it torched the stache.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,310 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 24, 2018 23:44 |  #8

rantercsr wrote in post #18587933 (external link)
I just went through similar with 85 gm..had it boxed up and everything ready to return. Then found out afc is the way to go, glad I took it for one more run of testing , it's am awesome lens

Is AF-C suggested even for static subjects? What if you didn't use eye focus?

I never would have imagined requiring AF-C for slow/static subjects. Not saying it's a wrong approach but it's something I never would have thought to do for portraits. hmmmmm

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,221 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 25, 2018 07:13 |  #9

According to some of the more knowledgeable fellas over in the sony lounge thread , they stay in afc.
And so I'm trying to do the same. Although now I have to get used to back button focus

Fuji XH1 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 25, 2018 15:41 |  #10

I found a fault.

While half pressing shutter for focusing for AF-C... you cannot move the focus points via joystick.

I don't BBF because I will change focus points during servo so I keep index on the shutter and thumb on the joystick... that is how I do it with canon but cannot with sony.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by xpfloyd.

Mar 25, 2018 15:43 |  #11

That’s not a fault, it’s by design

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 25, 2018 17:07 as a reply to  @ xpfloyd's post |  #12

then the design is a fault

:) Just saying.

My Gear Archive

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,543 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by xpfloyd.

Mar 26, 2018 02:10 |  #13

:lol: on a serious note though why can’t you select the focus point before pressing the shutter button half way? I’ve been trying to think of a scenario where I would have to have the af engaged with a half press and then move the focus point but can’t (I appreciate we probably shoot different things). Just trying to help you work this out. Could one of the other focus modes be better in is scenario? Lock on af maybe? That lets the af point move with the subject of it moves away from where you started with the flexible spot

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

sponsored links

1,249 views & 8 likes for this thread
Very frustrating evening
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.