Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Mar 2018 (Friday) 05:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait of son, 1st time in CC

Noitca
489 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2018 05:36 |  #1

Here is a baseball individual of my son. Never really sought feedback, just sometimes looks like my shots lack something that others have.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xPcrk3X/0/3240f721/XL/i-xPcrk3X-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://action-photo.smugmug.com …k2x/i-xPcrk3X/XL&lb=1&s=A  (external link)
Zach Pictures (external link) by action-photo (external link) on Smugmug

t1i w/ 85 f.18. Raw file. Post in LR. He was in a shadow on the ground with full sun behind him. OOC was him fairly well exposed, background very bright.

Don't remember exactly what the sliders were, but in general..
Exposure (ALL): -2
Contrast: slight bump up
I don't think there was much change in lights, shadows, whites, blacks.
Local brush on him to bring his exposure back up, somewhere in the ballpark of +2 or so.
Lens Correction: CA purple slider = 5 (always with this lens)
Vignette

Thoughts?

Also, for whatever I lack technically, it is 10x worse with posing. I am not great at it, so I don't communicate well what should be done, and he is impatient a lot of the time with me.

Thanks.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,234 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 16, 2018 05:45 |  #2

I think it is a good photo.

Might be a little too much room above his head and it might be a little blue from a color temp perspective.

More importantly, have you tried a shot like this with flash? Even with the on board flash you can fill in the shadow from the brim of his hat just enough to get more pop on the face. Crank FEC up to the max and see what happens. A dedicated flashwould really make a difference.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Noitca
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2018 08:36 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

I have a flash, stand, and umbrella, but didn't use on this one. Was a half planned, half spur of the moment thing.

Thanks for the feedback. The color part has also bothered me. PP is done on my surface pro and is not a calibrated monitor. Sometimes I look at shots and see one thing, then look later and see another. Then the brightness/exposure always screws with me. I see one thing on my surface, then post it to a website and look on a different monitor and it looks dark. Just feel my PP output is just all over the place sometimes.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,617 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 19, 2018 21:38 |  #4

I think it looks fine overall. Color looks OK to me, although I would have to print to see just how that orange and the skin tones come out.

My personal taste would be to lessen the vignette. I do usually add one, but so it is not immediately obvious. Or brush in a non-oval one.

I would also lighten his face under the cap a bit (more?). Not too much and mostly around the eyes.

I'm not sure what else you think this lacks. Sometimes I desaturate the background a bit, perhaps just the greens in the trees (leave the browns/reds so it doesn't look too desaturated).

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 20, 2018 07:38 |  #5

I think Left Hand and ejenner have given some great advice, I also think the photo is good.

With regards to posing however, I have to ask is your son a batter? A baseman? An outfielder? or a pitcher maybe?
Usually these sort of impromptu shoots with kids especially, your phone and google images can be your friend.
Google baseball portraits, and show him which one you think suits to help explain what you want him to do.
Kids live on their phones, they interact very well visually but like all kids don't take well to verbal direction.

Just a thought, my 2c......for next time maybe.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 22, 2018 13:44 |  #6

I think the pose works well. I would agree to lessen the vignette a bit and that he needs more light on his eyes/under the brim of his hat. He also seems to be squinting a bit much for my liking (for some, it's just what happens with a smile so you could have him try to relax the smile a bit). Personally I like to see the actual eyes and due to the lack of light and squint, they mostly just appear as dark slots.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,198 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 22, 2018 14:35 |  #7

Back off the vignette and perhaps rotate it clockwise 1 to 2 degrees.

Noitca
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 25, 2018 18:57 |  #8

Thanks for the replies guys.

:)

snow14
34 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 10, 2018 19:33 |  #9

nicely done.

sponsored links

616 views & 4 likes for this thread
Portrait of son, 1st time in CC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.