Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Marking/labeling your lights

calico
54 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 18, 2018 21:10 |  #1

Probably not important to many but I’m looking of nice way to mark my lights. I was thinking of paint spray and stencil but maybe somebody has better solution. (Talking about groups or numbers)
Thanks

sponsored links
pbrimages
304 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 18, 2018 21:18 |  #2

Label maker. Just be sure to put the label in a place on the light that does not get too hot

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sincity
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 18, 2018 22:06 |  #3

I would mark it on the receiver where the pin goes since every light would have the same part to mate up to a lightstand. You can use colored electrical tape to mark yours, and the tape isn't as bad as duct tape which is acidic. Another spot would be the bottom part of the flash since if it high on the stand, you can ID yours from the floor.

I think group and numbers is fine.. What about main, fill, background, hair, ETC??

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2018 23:32 |  #4

I am presuming that you want a way to label each unit so that you can identify it from across the room? If so, get adhesive letters from your hardware store.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,406 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 19, 2018 03:18 |  #5

White gaffer tape and a sharpie.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

OceanRipple*
815 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 19, 2018 08:32 |  #6

Alveric wrote in post #18589040 (external link)
White gaffer tape and a sharpie.

^^^

calico
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 19, 2018 08:57 |  #7

Thanks. I don't know why that matters to me but it does.
I'd like to see it from 10 feet or 3 meters.
I'll try white sharpie and stencil.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,690 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.

Mar 19, 2018 08:58 |  #8

I use weatherproof sign letters from Wal-Mart (available from most hardware stores, but Wal-Mart seems to have the best selection in my area). They come in a couple of difference sizes and either black on white or gold on black.

They stick firmly and as permanently as I want them, but I can still peel them off cleanly. They have a very slight amount of stretch around compound curves. Not much, but a little.

calico
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 19, 2018 09:27 |  #9

RDKirk wrote in post #18589155 (external link)
I use weatherproof sign letters from Wal-Mart (available from most hardware stores, but Wal-Mart seems to have the best selection in my area). They come in a couple of difference sizes and either black on white or gold on black.

They stick firmly and as permanently as I want them, but I can still peel them off cleanly. They have a very slight amount of stretch around compound curves. Not much, but a little.

I was thinking about that. I was afraid of sticky mess if lights get hotter. You haven't had problems like that?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,174 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 19, 2018 09:40 |  #10

Alternative using vinyl letters with reflectivity

https://www.amazon.com …fRID=RTE2DKG04Y​CWVMFWW7MN (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,690 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 19, 2018 10:49 |  #11

calico wrote in post #18589170 (external link)
I was thinking about that. I was afraid of sticky mess if lights get hotter. You haven't had problems like that?

Nope. These letters are made for outdoor uses, such as curbside mailboxes.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,590 posts
Gallery: 1052 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2018 11:50 |  #12

I bought vinyl letters that are stickers. Peel them off the paper, put them on the flash. Helps me figure out my groups fast and how to target a specific flash out of my fleet.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,174 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 19, 2018 14:18 |  #13

Could just use colored silicon bands too that would represent groups? All blue on group A, all red on group B, etc. That way it doesn't matter where you are, you should be able to see the bands from any direction.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

calico
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 19, 2018 17:00 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #14

Thanks everyone. I'll try few suggestions and see how it looks to me.

PJJ205
213 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Mar 19, 2018 17:45 |  #15

I bought a mailbox sticker kit from Home Depot to mark mine.

sponsored links

5,102 views & 10 likes for this thread
Marking/labeling your lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.