Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Diffuser Question

tspencer1
111 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 20, 2018 10:56 |  #1

I have been asked to do photos for a one-year old by an acquaintance. I am an amateur; skills lie in photographing marching bands and similar, not portraits.

For this session, the shoot will be indoors. I have a Canon 70D and will likely purchase this flash: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ttl_camera_spee​dlite.html (external link)

I'd like to use this diffuser: https://www.amazon.com …fRID=QXZ99GNRQD​X2ZM9VED3C (external link) .

Does anyone have experience with this? Or a different recommendation?

Thanks all,

Tim

sponsored links
Gart
410 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 20, 2018 11:01 |  #2

I can't say anything negative about the flash. Regarding the diffuser, I would recommend watching this video to help understand what results you may get by using such: LINK (external link)

Gart

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2018 11:12 |  #3

Diffusers (softboxes or umbrellas) need to be used no farther than 2X-3X their longest dimension in order for them to create 'soft' light.
IOW, a diffuser which is 6" on its long dimension needs to be within 12-18" of the subject for it to yield 'soft' light. Any farther and it progressive starts acting like a virtual point source (harder edges on shadows)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,603 posts
Gallery: 1075 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. (3 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2018 11:19 |  #4

tspencer1 wrote in post #18590107 (external link)
I have been asked to do photos for a one-year old by an acquaintance. I am an amateur; skills lie in photographing marching bands and similar, not portraits.

For this session, the shoot will be indoors. I have a Canon 70D and will likely purchase this flash: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ttl_camera_spee​dlite.html (external link)

I'd like to use this diffuser: https://www.amazon.com …fRID=QXZ99GNRQD​X2ZM9VED3C (external link) .

Does anyone have experience with this? Or a different recommendation?

Thanks all,

Tim

Hi Tim,

The flash is good. Though, personally, I have the Adorama Flashpoint clone (same flash). I went that direction because the warranty and support is with Adorama here in USA, and not dealing with the zero support of over-sea (China). The Flashpoint R2 TTL series is the same thing and you can get it here in the USA. LINK: https://www.adorama.co​m …0yzQ8REAYYAyABE​gJtBPD_BwE (external link)

Don't bother with the diffuser.

Just bounce the flash off the ceiling or a wall. Much softer.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tspencer1
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 20, 2018 11:44 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #5

Wow - thanks all - great advice already.

Gart - thanks for the video - very helpful. He seems to reach the same conclusion as MalVeauX. Ditch the diffuser and bounce the flash off of a wall or ceiling.

Wilt - did not know that - thank you.

MalVeaux - I think I will go with that Adorama - did not even realize they were options - thank you.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
799 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 20, 2018 11:52 |  #6

Head outdoors (depends on weather where you live). Use a reflector. Or indoors, try a large window and a reflector on the other side of the subject.

Unless you’ve got time to practice with a flash, I’d use a reflector. Practice with it too.

If you’re shooting evenings, well... flash and practice first. Don’t experiment at the time of the shoot. Have a bit of a plan.

Enjoy.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

HelenOster
That's me!
4,416 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2018 11:53 |  #7

tspencer1 wrote in post #18590157 (external link)
Wow - thanks all - great advice already.

Gart - thanks for the video - very helpful. He seems to reach the same conclusion as MalVeauX. Ditch the diffuser and bounce the flash off of a wall or ceiling.

Wilt - did not know that - thank you.

MalVeaux - I think I will go with that Adorama - did not even realize they were options - thank you.

Our in-house support team, brands@adorama.com are the guys to turn to if you need technical advice - or for after-sales warranty / out of warranty service.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

tspencer1
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 29, 2018 12:15 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #8

MalVeaux - I bought the Flashpoint unit from Adorama that you recommended - thanks. A question on the display. I don't get the "zoom" display and the "focus length" on the top line of the display. Ref p. 4 here: https://www.adorama.co​m …ductManuals/FPL​FSMZCA.pdf (external link)

I tried playing around with the lens zoom, etc but nothing seemed to change those numbers. Can you enlighten me as to what these mean?

Thx.

Tim

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 29, 2018 12:33 as a reply to  @ tspencer1's post |  #9

Is it connected to the camera? M is manual zoom, A is automatic, and controlled by the camera/lens ... but if the lens doesn't zoom, then the flash wont either (50mm prime will only have 50mm displayed and will not change) Page 22 and 23 cover some of the options, and show how to change the zoom from manual to automatic. What lens do you have attached?

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

tspencer1
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 29, 2018 12:38 as a reply to  @ ksbal's post |  #10

I first attached a 50mm Nifty Fifty. No zoom and one focal length there - I get it. Then I attached a 18-50 zoom. And although I zoomed the lens, nothing happened to the display on the flash. You are saying it should have? So if the Flash is in Zoom "M", I can change the zoom on the flash? And if in Zoom "A" the flash will follow what the lens does? If so, I could not figure out how.

Appreciate your response.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,159 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 29, 2018 12:40 |  #11

^^^ yup. If flash is on camera, the camera settings might mess with the flash.

If you take the flash off and put it in manual mode you should be able to change the zoom and hear the bulb move in the reflector housing.

If flash is on camera, you can do the same through the camera's speedlight menu.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,159 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 28 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 29, 2018 12:41 |  #12

tspencer1 wrote in post #18596408 (external link)
I first attached a 50mm Nifty Fifty. No zoom and one focal length there - I get it. Then I attached a 18-50 zoom. And although I zoomed the lens, nothing happened to the display on the flash. You are saying it should have? So if the Flash is in Zoom "M", I can change the zoom on the flash? And if in Zoom "A" the flash will follow what the lens does? If so, I could not figure out how.

Appreciate your response.

In A , change zoom and then half press shutter release.

My above post was in reply to ksbal

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tspencer1
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 29, 2018 12:42 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #13

Thank you. I think the takeaway is - if the flash is on camera - set the unit at Zoom "A" so it meshes with the lens zoom?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,159 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 29, 2018 12:47 |  #14

tspencer1 wrote in post #18596415 (external link)
Thank you. I think the takeaway is - if the flash is on camera - set the unit at Zoom "A" so it meshes with the lens zoom?

That works.

You can also use the camera menu to change the flash settings. When bouncing flash I often use manual zoom but ETTL, and set those from the camera.

davinci953
195 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 01, 2018 11:47 |  #15

tspencer1 wrote in post #18596415 (external link)

Keeping the zoom setting in auto is probably okay when you're using ETTL. If you're using the flash in manual mode, set the zoom manually to keep the exposure constant. When the zoom setting changes on the flash, it changes your exposure. I typically keep the flash zoom setting at 35mm for both ETTL and manual no matter what lens I'm using unless I have a specific reason to use a different zoom setting.

sponsored links

2,225 views & 16 likes for this thread
Flash Diffuser Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.