Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this the breakthrough client....

aqgolfer9
20 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 03, 2018 12:01 |  #1

Hi all- I have been lurking here for years and want to start with a collective thank you to all the inspiration and wonderful insight provided by you all. This forum has been an amazing resource for me as I learn and continue to develop.

I am posting here today looking for advice- I began shooting as a hobby about 10 years ago. As things progressed, I had done some photos for friends and family and began sharing my landscape photography. One thing lead to another and I found myself doing weddings, newborn shoots, engagement photos and so on. As of recently, I have chosen to specialize in the Real Estate as well as Restaurant/culinary realm. Last week I reached out to a swath of the restaurants in town and made contact with a creative marketing director. We had a great meeting yesterday and he essentially has offered me an opportunity to be his off contract staff photographer looking for all sorts of photographic and videographic work. As it stands right now, I will have steady, lucrative work for the next six months on top of my full time day job and I am ecstatic for the opportunity.

Here is where it gets hairy....I have no idea how to structure my services in terms of cost, to him. We discussed working on a small creation fee schedule and then licensing the images as well as flat rate fees that would be quoted prior to the job and payment expected at time of completion. Licensing, I feel, could get out of hand due to the vast social marketing campaigns he runs as well as renewal and terms. Can you all offer some advice and or experience if you ever have found yourself in a similar situation?

Thank you in advance!

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2018 15:45 |  #2

I think a big part of it is going to be the feel you get from the creative director, their background, and your location. Regardless of the dollar amount, you're going to have to structure your pricing in a way that they can understand.

A creative director that's experienced in the industry, and who has been involved in large marketing campaigns with real advertising agencies, will understand licensing based on usage and views. You can fine-tune your pricing based on a creative fee, costs, and usage.

A small-town self-made creative director will not understand that stuff. They won't want to be bogged down with the details of licensing costs, they'll just want a "How much for these photos" price - even if the dollar amount is identical to the former. Figure out how much profit you want to make, add on your cost* to produce those photos, and that's the price you give them.

* If you haven't figured out your cost of doing business, that's your next big step. "I already own the camera so it doesn't cost me anything" and "I don't really need E&O or liability insurance" are some big red flags that you really, really need to re-assess your costs.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2018 15:48 |  #3

Also: DON'T give them a discount on the first job in return for a promise of future work. That is the path to the Dark Side.

If they fish for a discount, dangle a carrot of a discount on the 10th job, only after they have paid in full, at a non-discounted rate, for the first nine jobs.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

aqgolfer9
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 04, 2018 07:08 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #4

Thank you for the feedback- to your point, I have struggled with calculating my costs in the past and agree this is a key factor to how I structure things with this new client. I assume there is a tried and true method out there in the industry for folks to estimate their costs- any idea where I could find such a thing? Even just the general rule of thumb would be great.

PhotosGuy
75,241 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 04, 2018 09:10 |  #5

There are 42 pages of info in the Sticky "How Much do I charge? For your consideration" thread.

And this: Exciting Opportunity - how to do thing "right"

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 04, 2018 19:53 |  #6

nathancarter wrote in post #18599598 (external link)
I think a big part of it is going to be the feel you get from the creative director, their background, and your location. Regardless of the dollar amount, you're going to have to structure your pricing in a way that they can understand.

A creative director that's experienced in the industry, and who has been involved in large marketing campaigns with real advertising agencies, will understand licensing based on usage and views. You can fine-tune your pricing based on a creative fee, costs, and usage.

A small-town self-made creative director will not understand that stuff. They won't want to be bogged down with the details of licensing costs, they'll just want a "How much for these photos" price - even if the dollar amount is identical to the former. Figure out how much profit you want to make, add on your cost* to produce those photos, and that's the price you give them.

* If you haven't figured out your cost of doing business, that's your next big step. "I already own the camera so it doesn't cost me anything" and "I don't really need E&O or liability insurance" are some big red flags that you really, really need to re-assess your costs.

Very solid advice!

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links

521 views & 4 likes for this thread
Is this the breakthrough client....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.