Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LED Modeling Light for Elinchrom?

sipowicz
197 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 03, 2018 20:33 |  #1

Is there an LED bulb that would fit and work well with Elinchrom strobes? I have recently switched to Elinchrom and found out that if you keep the modeling lights on, the strobes will overheat and shut down. This is not acceptable. I do need to use the modeling lights and I'm looking for a solution.

sponsored links
fotopaul
470 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Apr 04, 2018 04:14 |  #2

What kind of lights do you have and what kind of modifier do you use to cause them to overheat?

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 04, 2018 10:13 |  #3

I have several D-Lite 2s and 4s. They seem to overheat with Rotalux octas and strip boxes. The modeling bulbs are the regular Elinchrom branded 100W ones.

MayaTlab
89 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 04, 2018 10:21 as a reply to  @ sipowicz's post |  #4

I don't have any answer for you but I've read this blog post :

https://www.ryomuratap​hotography.com …ne-use-led-modeling-lamp/ (external link)

Just be warned that Elinchrom most likely won't endorse any light bulb other than the official one.

I'm interested in your findings so please keep us informed if you find a good solution.

fotopaul
470 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Apr 04, 2018 10:37 as a reply to  @ sipowicz's post |  #5

In normal conditions they shouldn't have any problem with the stock bulb, however, they are of course prone to overheat if used very heavily.

Blog (external link)

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 04, 2018 10:41 as a reply to  @ MayaTlab's post |  #6

Thanks! I actually just saw a video about using the IKEA bulbs for video lighting. I have to try it.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2018 20:13 |  #7

The use of modelling lights on studio lights with modifiers like softboxes for long periods SHOULD be used with heads that have cooling fans

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 22 days ago by sipowicz.

Apr 04, 2018 23:20 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #8

I am using these lights for a specific reason. There are not many Elinchrom models that are small, light weight and can be powered low. Never had this problem with Bowens, but I want to move to a brand that still has service and replacement parts available.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
799 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 22 days ago by Angmo.

Apr 04, 2018 23:34 |  #9

Is the fan running?

Are any of cooling vents blocked by something?

What modifier are you using?

Are the lights running in a hot environment? What temp?

When I run long & hot, I’ll peel up a bit of the modifier to help cooling & circulation.

I’ve never had an Eli shutdown on me...

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2018 00:18 |  #10

I should check the fan. If they have one, it's probably not very good. I was using a Rotalux strip box and I will be using other small softboxes with these lights. The environment was a large room/gallery with normal room temperature. Nothing out of the ordinary.

fotopaul
470 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 22 days ago by fotopaul.

Apr 05, 2018 03:10 |  #11

The RX2 and RX4 do have small fans, but again these are not made for heavy use. It does however sound very strange that they shut down with normal use with rotalux boxes.

Did you buy these new ?

Blog (external link)

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2018 13:55 |  #12

I have the original D-Lite, D-Lite IT and D-Lite RX. RX is the latest version, I think. I have to do more testing, but if I can't use the modeling lights for longer periods of time, I might have to switch again to another brand.

fotopaul
470 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Apr 05, 2018 14:57 |  #13

sipowicz wrote in post #18600806 (external link)
I have the original D-Lite, D-Lite IT and D-Lite RX. RX is the latest version, I think. I have to do more testing, but if I can't use the modeling lights for longer periods of time, I might have to switch again to another brand.

The RX2 and RX4 have fans and we just tested today it can handle being on with softboxes just fine, the fan goes on and off as needed.

It's very easy to check with the USB dongle (RX version)

Blog (external link)

sipowicz
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2018 15:48 |  #14

D-Lite IT also seems to have a fan. The opening is smaller and I assume that the actual fan might be smaller, too. The original does not have the opening, so I guess no fan in that one. A bit disappointing, but maybe I can use them for background since modeling light is not needed.

fotopaul
470 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 21 days ago by fotopaul.

Apr 05, 2018 16:28 |  #15

sipowicz wrote in post #18600888 (external link)
D-Lite IT also seems to have a fan. The opening is smaller and I assume that the actual fan might be smaller, too. The original does not have the opening, so I guess no fan in that one. A bit disappointing, but maybe I can use them for background since modeling light is not needed.

You do realize you bought the absolute entry level strobes from Elinchrom, two which has been discontinued for quite some time, and if you bought the RX used I would advice you to check the status on them with the USB dongle where you can see both temp and how many times they been fired and turned on.

Elinchrom has one of the most complete lineups from any manufacturer, from the very entry level stuff (like you have) to the professional grade gear.

Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,522 views & 14 likes for this thread
LED Modeling Light for Elinchrom?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.