Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 07 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer Finds His Stolen Camera Lens on eBay — It Sells for $65,100

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 07, 2018 14:03 |  #1

https://petapixel.com …-ebay-it-sells-for-65100/ (external link)
I hope the seller got screwed good on this one. I expect to set relisted.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 07, 2018 18:37 |  #2

Perhaps the $65k bid was intended by the bidder to delay things, so the 'owner' could be located in the duration in which the 'winning bidder' dragged his feet in making good on the bid. After all, the law does not recognize the validity of an illegal 'contract', so the bidder is not in breach of contract (since no contract exists)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 16, 2018 12:58 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18602107 (external link)
Perhaps the $65k bid was intended by the bidder to delay things, so the 'owner' could be located in the duration in which the 'winning bidder' dragged his feet in making good on the bid. After all, the law does not recognize the validity of an illegal 'contract', so the bidder is not in breach of contract (since no contract exists)

Unfortunately, since the (alleged) theft victim chose not to report the lens stolen, in the eyes of the law the eBay seller is the legitimate owner.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 days ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Apr 16, 2018 13:53 |  #4

imageswest wrote in post #18607940 (external link)
Unfortunately, since the (alleged) theft victim chose not to report the lens stolen, in the eyes of the law the eBay seller is the legitimate owner.

Thousands of paintings were 'stolen' by the Hitler war machine during WWII...and they were eventually returned to the families of the original owners. That they were originally not reported as 'stolen' in the 1940s did not prevent their eventual return. A movie was made about the Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, also called The Lady in Gold or The Woman in Gold) and the owning family made efforts over 65 years after it was stolen for its return.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nathan
So boring
7,694 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 17, 2018 12:48 |  #5

I could be wrong, but I don't remember this in law school. (U.S. - Massachusetts)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Archibald
You must be quackers!
5,926 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 17, 2018 14:18 |  #6

Cool. So if I steal your car without you knowing, it's mine to sell until you report it?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,749 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2018 14:33 |  #7

Archibald wrote in post #18608652 (external link)
Cool. So if I steal your car without you knowing, it's mine to sell until you report it?

No, of course not.

I think that what Images West means is that until there is some form of inquiry into the matter, law enforcement cannot act on this.

Just because somebody says that something was stolen from them does not mean that it is necessarily true. . Law enforcement would need to seek some form of verification of ownership, or at least ask the alleged victim a few questions, before they would pursue legal action against the alleged perpetrator.

So long as the victim does not report to the police to tell them that the lens was stolen, the police have no reason to act on this.. Many thousands of items are sold on eBay every day. . Are the police going to investigate every one of them, just in case they might have been stolen? . Heck no!

Instead, they investigate only those items whose rightful owners file complaints about. . Until the rightful owner contacts them and says, "hey, this guy stole this lens from me", the police are not going to do investigate the matter. . Why would they? . D'oh - I thought that would be quite obvious!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2018 14:57 |  #8

Archibald wrote in post #18608652 (external link)

Without a police report, it's your word against mine, and as the saying goes, possession is nine tenths of the law. Of course cars are different than lenses, because in most jurisdictions you have to register a change of ownership with a car.

If the person who claimed the lens was stolen did not report it to the police, this raises all kinds of suspicions... perhaps he was hard up for cash and sold it, and then had a change of heart after seeing what it was really worth. His story about not wanting to file a police report because he might have missed a flight sounds a bit fishy... give up on a lens worth thousands of dollars to save the $50 - $100 it might have cost him to re-book his flight? Makes no sense to me.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,694 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 18, 2018 11:03 |  #9

imageswest wrote in post #18608677 (external link)
His story about not wanting to file a police report because he might have missed a flight sounds a bit fishy... give up on a lens worth thousands of dollars to save the $50 - $100 it might have cost him to re-book his flight?

$50-$100? Filing a police report can take hours (personal experience... and that was in the U.S.). He may not have been able to book until the next day and he would have had no planned hotel stay, so there's more cost there. If he's flying soon after a photo shoot, it is reasonable to think that he had another engagement elsewhere and needed to go. If that was another gig, then could he afford to call it off or be late? Of course... We're both assuming too much and are just speculating.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2018 05:00 |  #10

As far as I'm aware there is nothing that requires you to report a theft to the police immediately that it is discovered. There are often good reasons to do so, since it is usually much easier to investigate sooner rather than later, although as most people will discover it can be very hard to get the police to investigate simple property theft. He in the UK most police forces seem to have a limit of between £1500 and £2000 in stolen property before they will investigate the incident. Some thirty years ago now I had a firearm stolen from the boot (trunk) of my car, while it was parked in the private car park of a rifle range. Because it was only worth about £100 the police wouldn't even investigate that. They just gave me a "Crime number" so that I could report it to the insurance company. And there was me thinking that my day was only going to get worse from the point the break in to the car was reported to the police. Fortunately they didn't get the bolt, as that was stored separately, so the rifle wasn't actually useable.

So in a case where photographic equipment has been stolen, and I've something important to do, like catch a flight to somewhere then yes I would probably think that waiting to report the incident to the police until later was a quite reasonable thing to do. Especially if I didn't have a clue to the identity of the person committing the crime. In situations where you don't have insurance to cover the loss there is often very little point in even reporting a small incident of theft. It's only if you happen to be lucky enough to chance across your property while the thief is attempting to dispose of it, or the police recover it in the process of another investigation, do you stand any chance of recovering that property.

Since British and US law are based on the same tenets I suspect that in the US, as it is in the UK, that even if you purchase stolen goods in good faith if they are discovered to be stolen property they will be seized and returned to the rightful legal owner. The only recourse that person may have is to sue the person that sold them the goods, but that may not always be practical or even legally possible. Back in the 1950's my dad bought a car from an auction, which turned out to be stolen. It was seized and returned to the legal owner, and it was my dad who was out the money he had paid.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,178 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 21, 2018 07:05 |  #11

The seller didn't get hosed on this, it will cost him nothing for having the lens closed out as it did.The buyers aren't paying, and the seller won't pay the fees. The lens will just get sold elsewhere. Too bad for the victim, but the rest of the energy of folks wrapped up in the story was wasted.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Ballen ­ Photo
19,669 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 21, 2018 08:36 |  #12

What a Heartbreaking story. The guy buys and builds it into his grail lens, only to have it stolen. :cry:

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links

696 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photographer Finds His Stolen Camera Lens on eBay — It Sells for $65,100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.