Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Apr 2018 (Wednesday) 06:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fun at the fair

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 11, 2018 06:22 |  #1

This is my son having an absolute ball at an Easter fair.
Personally I quite like the image, and my wife has singled it out to be Printed.

I'd like some feedback, thoughts on the overall image composition and PP.
You guys/gals are always good with finding the pluses and minuses, and adding a different perspective.

Cheers

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rwmson
340 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2018 06:42 |  #2

There's a lot going for this shot, but I would have rather seen all of the trunk. That's a pretty small nit-pik though. I would also have cropped off the persons in the background on the right.

yeah, I gots some stuff.

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 11, 2018 06:47 |  #3

rwmson wrote in post #18604470 (external link)
There's a lot going for this shot, but I would have rather seen all of the trunk. That's a pretty small nit-pik though. I would also have cropped off the persons in the background on the right.

rwmson, thanks for the feedback. Trunk unfortunately not too much I can do about it.
The crop, I'd been thinking about it, but was unsure as I may lose other parts due to the aspect ratio.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 11, 2018 07:24 |  #4

Butts wrote in post #18604474 (external link)
The crop, I'd been thinking about it, but was unsure as I may lose other parts due to the aspect ratio.

Nothing forces you to use the camera's native 2:3 aspect ratio unless you are using nothing but 4"x6" frames, for example. Many times, an image can be made much better by changing the aspect ratio along with cropping. This one is a reasonable example.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Ramon-uk
609 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2018 08:46 |  #5

I would rotate it slightly so that the central post of the roundabout was upright.

HOSTED PHOTO

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 11, 2018 08:50 |  #6

SkipD wrote in post #18604486 (external link)
Nothing forces you to use the camera's native 2:3 aspect ratio unless you are using nothing but 4"x6" frames, for example. Many times, an image can be made much better by changing the aspect ratio along with cropping. This one is a reasonable example.

SkipD, true. Never really thought about breaking the aspect ratio before, actually I've never done it other than 1:1.
Then cropping through the middle of the peak of the tent on the right to exclude the people will retain the overall feel of the image.
Thank you, appreciated.

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 11, 2018 08:54 |  #7

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18604524 (external link)
I would rotate it slightly so that the central post of the roundabout was upright.

Ramon-uk, thanks although I feel now the trunk really stands out and the top of the tent at the right is an awkward cut.
Might see what I can do via PP to add the missing pieces, won't be easy mind you.
Cheers

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 11, 2018 09:31 |  #8

Butts, I think this project can teach you a lot for the future.

Had you used a bit shorter focal length or been able to back up a bit, you'd have had an image which would have the missing items in this shot (the rest of the elephant's trunk, for example) and room to rotate the image and do a variety of cropping options.

Another bit of stuff that I often think about is controlling the perspective (relative sizes of objects in the image that are at different distances from the camera). Please read our "sticky" (found in the General Photography Talk forum) tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,749 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 13, 2018 06:29 |  #9

you can straighten it and keep the same amount of trunk in the image. You will need to do some content aware to fill in a few small spots.

I did the above, added some radiance to the image and a square vignette to bring more focus to your boy.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2018 06:46 |  #10

DagoImaging wrote in post #18605980 (external link)
you can straighten it and keep the same amount of trunk in the image. You will need to do some content aware to fill in a few small spots.

I did the above, added some radiance to the image and a square vignette to bring more focus to your boy.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DagoImaging in
./showthread.php?p=186​05980&i=i88555757
forum: Critique Corner

Dago, very nice. Definitely more pop then my edit, and you fixed the issue I was having of straightening and losing the trunk.
I had tried content aware, mixed results. Will have another go.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your feedback and assistance.
Appreciated.

Butts
THREAD ­ STARTER
I coulda shoulda woulda
374 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 13, 2018 06:49 |  #11

SkipD wrote in post #18604559 (external link)
Butts, I think this project can teach you a lot for the future.

Had you used a bit shorter focal length or been able to back up a bit, you'd have had an image which would have the missing items in this shot (the rest of the elephant's trunk, for example) and room to rotate the image and do a variety of cropping options.

Another bit of stuff that I often think about is controlling the perspective (relative sizes of objects in the image that are at different distances from the camera). Please read our "sticky" (found in the General Photography Talk forum) tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?.

SkipD, thanks for the link and yes if I'd backed up a bit would have made the world of difference. Only had my 50L with me.
Sometimes just don't think as I'm focusing too much on my kids.
Cheers

sponsored links

463 views & 12 likes for this thread
Fun at the fair
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.